Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
Need a little help
I've got like a bump-out on anew upstairs landing that needs work.
It's a 45 degree wall that goes to the ceiling and its covered by painted wallpaper. Long ago some water damage caused the paper to pull away. I peeled it back until it wouldn't come with my fingers anymore and reveiled the water stained, somewhat loose plaster which in some spots is very soft and practically falling off the wall. The rest of the area is pretty much sound as in the plaster hardly or doesn't move and the wall paper is tight with a couple sag or loose spots here and there.
The plaster looks to be .25 to .5 inches thick. So here'so what I want to do.
Take out all the soft hanging plaster
Drill tiny holes in the rest of it up to the lath and force it back and anchor it with like 1.25 inch drywall screws...
Now should I fill screw the holes with plaster weld before i install the screws? Can I get away with bin for this instead? Same goes with patching the large holes in the plaster: can I get away with binning the lathe and plaster edge my patch needs to grip to, or should I use plaster weld?
Is it safe to bin the stained plaster?
I also want to seal the boarder where the still-tight wallpaper meats the exposed plaster with something. I was thinking of binning it then mudding over the edge to hide the line and blend it all together into a uniform surface. Will bin work for this? I believe it will, but should I use the plaster weld instead? Or maybe a latex primer?
Someoneven said a skim coat of durabond will cover the water stains. True?

Then I've got to do a patch on drywall covered by painted wallpaper. I don't want to strip the wall paper, I want to cut out the bad spot, bin the spot to seal it and the edges then mud over it and make it flush. Will this work or will it fail. Any advice?
Here's some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I run into these types of jobs quite often. I don't do a whole lot of anything special. BIN or CoverStain on the paper and the stains. Fix the cracks and skim coat it all.......one or two coats of mud.....sand, prime, repaint. I've never used the plaster weld and I can't recall any call backs on these repairs I've done. If the plaster is dangerously crumbly, I use plaster washers to secure the plaster.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I think Plasterweld is the bee's knees. I'd knock out any loose stuff, use screws with plaster washers, Plasterweld the whole area and then make repairs.

Structolite to fill in the base coat and Diamond Veneer on top.

If you prefer, you could use regular Durabond for the base fill. I might then use some Fibafuse 36" and regular mud to top it with.

Either one of those will provide a lasting repair. Make sure the old wallpaper is sealed up before you start applying anything, though.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think Plasterweld is the bee's knees. I'd knock out any loose stuff, use screws with plaster washers, Plasterweld the whole area and then make repairs.

Structolite to fill in the base coat and Diamond Veneer on top.

If you prefer, you could use regular Durabond for the base fill. I might then use some Fibafuse 36" and regular mud to top it with.

Either one of those will provide a lasting repair. Make sure the old wallpaper is sealed up before you start applying anything, though.
I second everything ParamountPaint says. Plaster washers can be ordered online. I like the metal ones and get them 300 at a time, they usually run about 10 to 15 cents a piece when bought in quantities in the hundreds. Also, buy a gallon of plaster weld and read the info on the can. With the plaster washers use drywall screws to secure them to the lath boards behind the plaster. You can use a masonry bit in your drill to find them. Drill into the plaster with it (plaster is like masonry so it will drill through it) and when the drill bit stops on wood (which it will not drill through because it's a masonry bit!) you know you have hit a board. If you hit nothing then move onto the next hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts