Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if I can buy a holding tank for water and use my 4,000 psi power washer we have. We have six 30,000 square foot buildings coming up with no pratical source of water so I need to figure out if I can connect my power washer right to the tank? I am thinking a 500-800 gallon but im not sure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
Check the powerwashingnetwork.com for better advice than I can give. we have a hot water PW unit that can run off a holding tank. I think most PW units can but you have to watch the GPMs. Problem we ran into was the weight of carting water around. A full 500 gallon tank weighs over 2 tons! Watch out!

I'd call a couple local PW guys and see if they might work something out. If you are planning to do a lot of this then you might want to buy a trailer and tank. I have a guy locally who supplies the PW people and he's been a great help. Check for a landa, hotsy, or MiTM dealer and they mght be able to help out.

What about subbing it out to a PW guy?

Mndrk

·
ContractorTalk Crossover
66 Posts
We did an industrial job a while ago that had no water, we had a 6000 gallon tank truck brought in by a water trucking company, cost was like $475 or something like that.

Called them and explained what we needed to do, they brought the trailer with the fittings we needed, left the trailer there for the three days it took us. We figured at 4.8gpm the tanker would give us over 20 hours of washing time. Normally the cost was like $275 for a load of water, but the cost was higher because they left the trailer, well worth it considering how easy everything was. No portable tanks, running to fill the tank up again, down time, etc.

Don't know if it will work in your situation, maybe smaller tankers if you are doing the buildings at six different times or have a logistic or staging problem

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the powerwashingnetwork.com for better advice than I can give. we have a hot water PW unit that can run off a holding tank. I think most PW units can but you have to watch the GPMs. Problem we ran into was the weight of carting water around. A full 500 gallon tank weighs over 2 tons! Watch out!

I'd call a couple local PW guys and see if they might work something out. If you are planning to do a lot of this then you might want to buy a trailer and tank. I have a guy locally who supplies the PW people and he's been a great help. Check for a landa, hotsy, or MiTM dealer and they mght be able to help out.

What about subbing it out to a PW guy?

Mndrk

Thank you Mndrk great idea. We dont like to pw much so this will work out good, and the company we found doesnt paint at all and said he would like to recommend someone like us. Great way to network thanks again...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
There are no Hydrants in the area? You cna hook up to one if there is. Portable tanks cause way too much downtime. Your household water will ggive you about 5 gallons a min. if that divided into 500 gallons is a lot of sittin around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The pressure and flow would not be restricted enough to matter with a 4 gpm machine so I wouldn't be concerned with that. Most communities will issue Hydrant permits upon request and they will usually provide the meter and fittings with the permit. If they do not provide it you will have to get a meter or some sort of back flow preventer which they usually require to prevent an contamination of the water supply.

As far as the tanks go if you are not looking for a permanent tank you could try fire mike's idea or check with the local rental yards. Many times they have "watering trailers" available for rent that you could use and hook up to those.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The pressure and flow would not be restricted enough to matter with a 4 gpm machine so I wouldn't be concerned with that. Most communities will issue Hydrant permits upon request and they will usually provide the meter and fittings with the permit. If they do not provide it you will have to get a meter or some sort of back flow preventer which they usually require to prevent an contamination of the water supply.

As far as the tanks go if you are not looking for a permanent tank you could try fire mike's idea or check with the local rental yards. Many times they have "watering trailers" available for rent that you could use and hook up to those.

Hey Paul nice to see you here. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
If you are going to run it off of a gravity fed tank don't you need a booster pump between the water source and the powerwasher?? It seems like we had problems when we tried to run it off a tank???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts