Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 121 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
This is a really good challenge because I am struggling figuring out how to photograph concrete. My head keeps seeing some sort of painting which really doesn't work. Here is my starting point, but I am going to try again tomorrow.

I may have to drag out my Nikon for this challenge.

Both of these are iPhone shots.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Cricket,

You sell yourself short.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Bill, the layers (especially the axe) make it an interesting composition. Some processing would probably make it a worthy contender for the topic.
Thanks Ken,

I am wanting to gain a different eye to look at things. What do you see could be differently processed? I shot this in NEF and I think bracketed it. May be a good time to practice the HDR capabilities of the software.

BTW, this was quite heavily processed as it was. It was taken just before dusk, in light rain, under some pine trees - ISO-200, f:10, 1/2 second. I was using a monopod to steady.

Without telling me exactly what to do, I'd be appreciative of any ideas you could offer.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Wth is going on around here?
It's an open invitation for any PT member to join in a non-competitive self challenging photo exercise.

Grab any kind of photographic renderer and take some pix of your interpretation of the assignment - this week is concrete.

This is a chance for those who participate to challenge their photographic eye to capture something this week .

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
I didn't get the chance to head out for a photo shoot with my Nikon because I was pretty sick this morning but I grabbed a quick shot with my iPhone of the Ready Mix Concrete Plant. It will do for now...

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
I like the natural photo.

I think visually, it strikes me as a beautiful contrast between the blue and the faded and used sandy color of the steel structure. Like a dried sandcastle would look at the beach.

As far as what the photo is saying to me about its intent,

It's like this factory with its odd shapes, makes this dry unstable product in an arid climate that is void of any moisture. It's only when it has been called to serve will it finally drink and become strong.

·
Administrator
Community Manager
2,790 Posts
When I was standing there it was a spooky feeling because I was surrounded by barbed wire and some pretty serious "keep out" signs. That, and the fact that this building is massive when you are standing below it definitely played a role in the darker gloomy version of the image. I would like to go back and capture that shot with my Nikon.

·
Registered
14,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
So for this assignment do we post them whenever or at the end of the week? I think I took a two pretty goods one today.
I think you can post as many as you want throughout the week.

I haven't left the house over the weekend, so I'm hoping to shoot something this week that might better suit the subject matter other than my lizard pic. But I've got to tell you, I think that little guy is cute with his little eye ball daring me to catch him.

21 - 40 of 121 Posts