Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s the real difference between Emerald Urethane Alkyd and Cabinet Coat urethane acrylic? Is the urethane acrylic more or less durable than the urethane alkyd? Curious.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,123 Posts
2 Different Brands for starters. I believe the emerald is an Acrylic /Alkyd Hybrid, and the CC is a straight up Acrylic. I think there would be a debate on durability which I will not be involved in. but am also curious..

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2 Different Brands for starters. I believe the emerald is an Acrylic /Alkyd Hybrid, and the CC is a straight up Acrylic. I think there would be a debate on durability which I will not be involved in. but am also curious..
I’ve used CC many times, but I’m wondering what would be more durable or is CC older technology.

·
Monarchski
58 Posts
What’s the real difference between Emerald Urethane Alkyd and Cabinet Coat urethane acrylic? Is the urethane acrylic more or less durable than the urethane alkyd? Curious.
They are both an Acrylic Urethane. To me the CC is more user friendly and touches up better. Have seen the Emerald sheen really flatten out when trying to touch-up. CC seems to have a little better sag resistance when spraying.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Well, I can't get CC, for starters, because my local store can't tint it. They won't order it in tinted, either, but referred me to the nearest BM who could.

Emerald levels out well, and seems to be pretty tough. I'd love to try CC though.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Well, I can't get CC, for starters, because my local store can't tint it. They won't order it in tinted, either, but referred me to the nearest BM who could.

Emerald levels out well, and seems to be pretty tough. I'd love to try CC though.
Your store can tint 1 and 2 base cabinetcoat on Gennex. Have them look up formula's in the product base CC65/CC66, these bases will be a straight relabel and I have been tinting them for a few months already on gennex.
3&4B still need to be tinted on universal colorant until the new bases come out sometime next year.

One BIG difference between emerald urethane and cabinetcoat is the cure time especially in deep bases. Emerald urethane in a deep black is soft I woldn't even set a napkin on it. Cabinetcoat has no problems curing out fast in deep base.

Also the Satin sheen in emerald is not good. feels and looks chalky.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Do you think the CC deep bases will get worse once they switch to gennex? I have noticed Emerald is fine in white, but darker colours are definitely slow to cure.

I'll ask my paint store to suck it up and make me paint!

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Do you think the CC deep bases will get worse once they switch to gennex? I have noticed Emerald is fine in white, but darker colours are definitely slow to cure.

I'll ask my paint store to suck it up and make me paint!
unknown how it will tint on gennnx, though many BM products in inslx, coronado, corotch are going dual tint with formulas for gennex and universal

another diffrence between CC and EU is just like most other SW bases is sort of greyed out. CC base is several shades brighter white than EU.

BTW CC comes in boxes of 2 instead of 4 if your store doesn't want to order in a whole bunch of material all at once.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They are both an Acrylic Urethane. To me the CC is more user friendly and touches up better. Have seen the Emerald sheen really flatten out when trying to touch-up. CC seems to have a little better sag resistance when spraying.
Thought I’d try emerald on a cabinet job. I used the semi-gloss because satin is awfully dull. Unfortunately no matter the sheen it has a gritty feel to it after sanding, vacuuming, and tack cloth. I thought it was just the satin, but sg is the same way. The same process with CC and it’s smooth like it should be. I think the emerald brushes out better, but disappointed with the finish.

·
Super Moderator
6,854 Posts
The Emerald Urethane looks nice and is supposedly durable but to the touch is feels like chalky builder grade flat. V50 Breakthrough I feel has the nicest look and feel, it's possibly the most durable of the three but is the most difficult to work with and spray. If I didn't have access to it I'd choose cabinet coat over Emerald.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Emerald Urethane looks nice and is supposedly durable but to the touch is feels like chalky builder grade flat. V50 Breakthrough I feel has the nicest look and feel, it's possibly the most durable of the three but is the most difficult to work with and spray. If I didn't have access to it I'd choose cabinet coat over Emerald.
It really does. I thought it was just the satin that felt that way, but sg does too. I’m pretty particular in prep, and it still feels chalky. I’ll stick with CC.

·
Monarchski
58 Posts
unknown how it will tint on gennnx, though many BM products in inslx, coronado, corotch are going dual tint with formulas for gennex and universal

another diffrence between CC and EU is just like most other SW bases is sort of greyed out. CC base is several shades brighter white than EU.

BTW CC comes in boxes of 2 instead of 4 if your store doesn't want to order in a whole bunch of material all at once.
The 203 and 204 Coronado hybrid works MUCH better in dark colors using Gennex, it just has to be color matched.

·
Registered
10 Posts
all these product's are crap for cabinets. what are you guys amateur's? if you cant get CC go with scuff X its just better and cheaper then anything SW sells. CC is over priced as well. If your going to paint cabinets go with a real KCMA approved product

·
Registered
692 Posts
all these product's are crap for cabinets. what are you guys amateur's? if you cant get CC go with scuff X its just better and cheaper then anything SW sells. CC is over priced as well. If your going to paint cabinets go with a real KCMA approved product
Yeah. Nothing but amateurs around here. Good thing there's now an expert to set everyone straight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What product do you recommend that can be used for refinishing? I have limited access to stuff in Canada... I might order some Envirolak to mess around with.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts