Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Banned
14,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching and reading this forum for a couple of months now. Why do painters go to paint talk to get advice? I have been painting for 15 yrs. I've seen paint failures, application failures and just down right stupid failures. Every time, I dug in it my self. From calling on reps to getting chemist out on the site. Even asking my competitors if they are experiencing similar problems. I could understand the tricks of the trade. But if one as a business owner has to depend on going to paint talk to get advice on what to do and what not to do. Then I think it would be a good time to reevaluate if you should be painting or not. I know I have been a smart A** here at times. I officially apologize. I know an apology is in really not sincere with a but. BUT why would, when one has a problem wait till they can get on paint talk and ask the crew here how to solve their problem. Just to get tore up by the gang.

OK, now I’m ready for your sarcasm NEPS, VERM, TIM, BIKER, and others.

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Maybe one is looking for justification of their individual opinions.

I am offended that you are "waiting for my sarcasm". Just because I don't use them, it does not mean that I don't have feelings!

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Why would you put B B down for sarcasm? He may joke around a little but, the dude tells it like it is. :thumbsup:
It's ok Tim, I think he was really just kidding.

"Nice to know ya got my back."

:thumbup:​

· Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
To the OP, there are a number of possible reasons why people come here.

One could be to get an answer when we really aren't sure. Another is verification of what we think-- if we have only seen something once, or never before, it can be hard to be sure sometimes. Getting feedback from others is valuable.

It's easy to look at a situation from our persepctive and our experiences and limit the possible answers. PT gives us a way to "expand our minds" in a non-chemical way.

Others come here for business purposes-- to learn to estimate, sell, or manage.

Bottom line is, people come here for different reasons. No matter where we are in our business, we can always learn more and improve. PT is one way to do that.

Personally, I learn a lot here.

Brian Phillips

· I'm Colour Blind
1,630 Posts
I've been watching and reading this forum for a couple of months now. Why do painters go to paint talk to get advice? I have been painting for 15 yrs. I've seen paint failures, application failures and just down right stupid failures. Every time, I dug in it my self. From calling on reps to getting chemist out on the site. Even asking my competitors if they are experiencing similar problems. I could understand the tricks of the trade. But if one as a business owner has to depend on going to paint talk to get advice on what to do and what not to do. Then I think it would be a good time to reevaluate if you should be painting or not. I know I have been a smart A** here at times. I officially apologize. I know an apology is in really not sincere with a but. BUT why would, when one has a problem wait till they can get on paint talk and ask the crew here how to solve their problem. Just to get tore up by the gang.

OK, now I’m ready for your sarcasm NEPS, VERM, TIM, BIKER, and others.
My humble English opinion only... tell me to F.O. if you will.
People here may be business owners and may know all there is to know, but there may be just that one time when... you know zero, nada, nil.
We can all call our mates for advice on our mobiles (sorry, cells. You and your "strange wording" :whistling2:), but it's good to have a chat on here about things, ain't it??
Someone on here may not have heard of a problem before, that you know so well, and can post about it knowing you have helped someone out.

Me personally, I only get on here for the crack, the laugh, the commaraderie (spelling) and for some good advice, especially on marketing. We are always learning. You say you've been painting for 15yrs, your still a baby!!! I been painting for 27yrs and still want to know more and will continue to learn more I promise you.

You get torn up at work and no doubt handle it, why not get torn up here too. It's good for the backbone. I no doubt will have my pants pulled down over my posting now. Get over the beasting and handle it. :whistling2:

I'm now waiting to have 7 shades of :censored: knocked out of me.
Sorry for my rambling. It's late here, 00:40 and my brain is fried.

:notworthy::notworthy: :eek:

mistcoat(UK)

· Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts

FO
Kidding!
We can all call our mates for advice on our mobiles (sorry, cells. You and your "strange wording" :whistling2:,

At least we drive on the right side of the road!

but it's good to have a chat on here about things, ain't it??
Someone on here may not have heard of a problem before, that you know so well, and can post about it knowing you have helped someone out.

Me personally, I only get on here for the crack,

beleive me, if you come around here for crack, your butt will get ripped off!

the laugh, the commaraderie (spelling) and for some good advice, especially on marketing. We are always learning. You say you've been painting for 15yrs, your still a baby!!! I been painting for 27yrs and still want to know more and will continue to learn more I promise you.

You get torn up at work and no doubt handle it, why not get torn up here too. It's good for the backbone. I no doubt will have my pants pulled down over my posting now. Get over the beasting and handle it. :whistling2:

Just kidding with you, but I have some other's high expectations to live up to.

· I'm Colour Blind
1,630 Posts

FO
Kidding!
We can all call our mates for advice on our mobiles (sorry, cells. You and your "strange wording" :whistling2:,

At least we drive on the right side of the road!

but it's good to have a chat on here about things, ain't it??

Me personally, I only get on here for the crack,

beleive me, if you come around here for crack, your butt will get ripped off!

the laugh, the commaraderie (spelling) and for some good advice, especially on marketing. We are always learning. You say you've been painting for 15yrs, your still a baby!!! I been painting for 27yrs and still want to know more and will continue to learn more I promise you.

Just kidding with you, but I have some other's high expectations to live up to.
You may drive on the right side of the road, but your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car ;)

Crack = laugh, not what you're thinking (I hope):blink: :)
don't need that stuff, gimme a beer anyday:thumbsup:

I realise you're just messin'.
Keep Busy BB!!!

mistcoat(UK)

· Registered
186 Posts
I come here to learn, get others opinions on everything from technique to products, because, since I am learning, I'm only learning one man's way on the job. There are lots of different ways of doing things. My boss was actually impressed that I read on here to rub some vaseline around your eyes while brushing and rolling alkyds, that way it wipes off easily. I also come here to vent frustration, and socialize with other painters.

· crowinthewind
346 Posts
Hey ewing, why are you here? if your so self suficiate, and whats havin kids got to do with anything? my oldest is probable older than you, but it aint got nothin on nothin, why do bikers flock together? buy EasyRider mag.? cause its what they do, aint nothin wrong with havin a place like this to come to for help or just to be round your own kind. (even though I do stand alone in many areas) I like swappin thoughts here, even though I am very much the lesser of inteligents here, even I have somthin to offer. (I think) we are no dought a wide range of diffrent veiws and thats what I like here.

· "Member"
10,719 Posts
The stupid questions drive me nuts too. Makes you wonder how people can actually go out and charge for what they do. I'm not a very smart guy but I look like a genius next to a few of the bozo's here. It takes a wide spectrum of people to make this site entertaining.

· Registered
14,407 Posts
The stupid questions drive me nuts too. Makes you wonder how people can actually go out and charge for what they do. I'm not a very smart guy but I look like a genius next to a few of the bozo's here. It takes a wide spectrum of people to make this site entertaining.

True that. I know I come here for a number of reasons. Like many others have said, its good for alot of reasons. Whatever works for you.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.