Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the trade roughly fifteen years, and I would guess I've worked with at least a hundred painters in that time, including quite a few old-timers who've been at it a whole lot longer than me. So to my surprise a guy I hired last summer, with only two summers worth of experience, showed me this neat little trick with the plastic band that you tear off of a new 5 gallon bucket. I have seen the little magnetic brush holders, but with me things like that disappear as fast as loose change. This is handy because these little plastic bands are always around. This last year the ferals on my brushes have never been cleaner, am I the only one that didn't know about this?馃槄
20210419_140853.jpg

Registered
I didn't know that trick either, but I like it.

The guy with only 2 summers worth of experience learned stuff from an untold number of people. I.e. how many painters did he work with over those summers? Now expand from those painters to painters they've all worked with. Big networks.

That's why internet discussion sites work! Thanks for passing on the trick.

Registered
I've been in the trade roughly fifteen years, and I would guess I've worked with at least a hundred painters in that time, including quite a few old-timers who've been at it a whole lot longer than me. So to my surprise a guy I hired last summer, with only two summers worth of experience, showed me this neat little trick with the plastic band that you tear off of a new 5 gallon bucket. I have seen the little magnetic brush holders, but with me things like that disappear as fast as loose change. This is handy because these little plastic bands are always around. This last year the ferals on my brushes have never been cleaner, am I the only one that didn't know about this? View attachment 111966
15 years and never came across this either. I will be using this tomorrow. Everyday is a school day.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Registered
I've been in the trade roughly fifteen years, and I would guess I've worked with at least a hundred painters in that time, including quite a few old-timers who've been at it a whole lot longer than me. So to my surprise a guy I hired last summer, with only two summers worth of experience, showed me this neat little trick with the plastic band that you tear off of a new 5 gallon bucket. I have seen the little magnetic brush holders, but with me things like that disappear as fast as loose change. This is handy because these little plastic bands are always around. This last year the ferals on my brushes have never been cleaner, am I the only one that didn't know about this?馃槄 View attachment 111966
I've been in the trade roughly fifteen years, and I would guess I've worked with at least a hundred painters in that time, including quite a few old-timers who've been at it a whole lot longer than me. So to my surprise a guy I hired last summer, with only two summers worth of experience, showed me this neat little trick with the plastic band that you tear off of a new 5 gallon bucket. I have seen the little magnetic brush holders, but with me things like that disappear as fast as loose change. This is handy because these little plastic bands are always around. This last year the ferals on my brushes have never been cleaner, am I the only one that didn't know about this?馃槄 View attachment 111966
Wow!

I LIKE IT!!! Darn clever! Thanks for sharing! Wisdom comes from many sources!

Administrator
I always work out of a tray so...

Reactions: fromthenorthwest

Premium Member
That's brilliant!

I've always used tea cub hangers, nails, or screws. But all this time, I had no idea I could grab some tape and a strip of something and do exactly the same thing without a screw driver, or hammer.

I nominate this for PT's best tip ever!

Registered
do you cut out of a 5er? never was a fan of the holders as they need the right level of paint to keep the brush submerged

Premium Member
do you cut out of a 5er? never was a fan of the holders as they need the right level of paint to keep the brush submerged
You make a good point. However, I would often need a brush rim hanger when hauling a deuce , or five up a ladder, filled for rolling and brushing.

Registered
Why are you guys cutting from a 5 gallon pail? Animals.
I don't, but on larger spaces and if I'm in the same paint I might do all my cutting one day and then roll the next. In this case, I need to be in a brush, but not nec in a cut pot. So if I have a rolling day, I'll want to hang my brush in the 5. I have one of those plastic clip-ons with a magnet for the ferrule. It doesn't keep the brush dipped, but I just pause once in a while and dip it.

Administrator
When doing any high ladder work I really got into using and liking one of these. Good for rolling out of as needed as well as working as a cutting in paint source. Sturdy and well built, holds a decent amount of paint, has as a magnetic plate fastened in (no clips to come loose) for holding a brush, plus it can be securely hung from either side of the ladder.

Premium Member
Why are you guys cutting from a 5 gallon pail? Animals.
The following are some examples of needing a brush and roller with a Five:
1. Exterior Lap siding where rolling is followed by laying off with brush (very popular in the 80's when using semi-gloss enamels)
2. Large skylights in hard to reach areas
3. Stucco buildings where a one coat application required one trip up a ladder to cut around windows
4. Eaves where spraying was prohibited

Registered
For those of you who don't use fives often, I'm now selling this on Amazon. Just type in LB Brush Tender into the search bar. Only $9.95 for the standard model (uses 3M 2090 tape) or $14.95 for the HD Brush Tender (Gorilla Tape). Buy one get another free (just pay a separate processing fee). Free shipping for Prime members!!! 馃槓

I painted for 40+ years and never got beyond cup hooks. Great idea.....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts