Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
The Long Island Painter
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It does not happen too often, but every once in a while when on an estimate, I get someone trying to sell me a product. They must figure I am a captive audience and since I want work I will be polite and listen.
Recently I had a guy sell me on his electric delivery utility company and one on his accounting services. I did not get either job and obviously have not given them thought about business.

·
Delco, Pa
1,176 Posts
I had a customer ask if I wanted him to design a website for me. This was as I was staining his deck. I politely said no but I think he figured since he hired me that I would hire him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Back when I advertised in a local paper, about 75% of the calls were either trying to sell me something or other painters looking for work. I can't recall ever getting cornered on the estimate, though, except having to politely accepting MLM type catalogs for jewelry, vitamins and who knows what else. Better in my trash than theirs I guess.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
I've had a few customers try and sell me things.....some I bought. Antique drop-down bowfront secretary - $200. (Sold it 2 yrs later for $1100.) Quincy air compressor with 60 gal tank - $50. (Put a $65 kit in the compressor unit - still got it.) Grand piano from an insurance resto, bought it from the insurance co, - $400. Refinished the damage on it, sold it for $4500. (made a note to myself on that one to never buy another one in the winter time if the customer has a long sidewalk with lots of steps.)

·
Administrator
19,649 Posts
Never had a customer try and sell me anything. Have a client now that is thinking about putting his beloved 1964 Volkswagen bug convertible up for sale (they're in their eighties). I might have been interested if I had a third garage stall to park it in.

·
Banned
1,752 Posts
Once had a HO try and sell me weed..that was probably the funniest one. Nice old lady, had a sweet looking water pipe too. never took her up on it though.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
when i was an apprentice i always envisioned or dreamt of the day that i would be working and go up the ladder and have that scene out of American pie were the lesbians are in the bedroom but without my work mates haha... never happen tho..

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/an-PD38JYbnuhbJmm/american_pie_2_2001_lesbians_messing_with_the_boys/
Many years ago a fella I worked for was offered a little sumpin sumpin, by the daughter of a client, if he would buy her a new bike.:eek: We kept an eye on that place to see if a new bike ever showed up but I guess he didn't take the offer:no:

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
I bought trophy size of Elk antlers.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
I credited a guy some cash off my invoice for a self-propelled Honda Harmony mower back in 1998.

I sold that mower YESTERDAY on craigslist, 14 years later.

·
TDS Quality Painting
55 Posts
One tried to sell me a knife set. Then offered me a job to sell knives for her as a secondary income haha. She obviously didnt think much of the company!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts