Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
61 - 80 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
You may be right, though I couldn't tell enough difference from the original white. I cut in first and allowed to dry before rolling. Before I rolled, the client said she's happy and no need to roll (job was to patch holes in ceiling and repaint). She thought it was blending in very well. Of course I rolled it anyway. Will experiment more with it on insurance jobs and see.

·
Registered
121 Posts
When it was Brilliance we used it a lot, and then again when they changed the name to Eminence...somewhere along the lines it didnt perform well on several ceiling jobs, and we figured SW had messed with it again, as they seem to have done with many of their paints. Our rep has admitted that going to the low/zero VOC has been an issue with their colorants, so that may be what we found. As far as Masterhide, we used it for this church because of the clay base, figuring it wouldn't shrink as it cured as much as the acrylics do. The ceilings and walls are full of hairline cracks so it would do to have a fresh coat grab it and shrink. The ceiling is 24' high, and very big, too - we had to use a few rows of scaffolding to reach it and we had to work around all the pews. We knew from past use that the Masterhide would be more forgiving on the "wet edge" factor, and it worked very well, sprayed...other than that, BM 508 is our current go to for other ceilings...

·
Registered
303 Posts
Years ago(decades ?) when I did a ton of ceilings, I always used BM Regall Wall Satin Decorators White. Looked pretty good after 1 coat rolled on bare sheetrock - we always did 2 coats. Dried flat.

I could come back in a year, do a blow out patch in the middle of a ceiling and touch it up with the roller and you would never see it.

Used to roll 1 coat of Sani-flat oil on popcorn. Man that was hell to do a whole house. Tarp everything and walk out speckled from head to toe.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Years ago(decades ?) when I did a ton of ceilings, I always used BM Regall Wall Satin Decorators White. Looked pretty good after 1 coat rolled on bare sheetrock - we always did 2 coats. Dried flat.

I could come back in a year, do a blow out patch in the middle of a ceiling and touch it up with the roller and you would never see it.

Used to roll 1 coat of Sani-flat oil on popcorn. Man that was hell to do a whole house. Tarp everything and walk out speckled from head to toe.
If that doesn't conjure up a nightmare, I don't know what does.:eek:

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
This is when I use the actual product base code when ordering :p

I've been falling in love with BM Ceiling Paint. Just painted my own grand ceiling with it, brush and roll. Came out nice. Only problem is when ordering it, "what product would you like that in" "Ceiling Paint" "so just a flat" "ya Ceiling Paint" "so just look up and see what flat paint you've gotten in the past" "no, I want ceiling paint" "oh, ok" I arrive to the store, "so what flat do you want" :wallbash:

·
Registered
319 Posts
We use killz pro x 300 (provided by gc) for our flips and it costs and looks meh. We always have stains that must be primed etc.. it does not cover well imo.

Just used pro mar 200 on popcorn removal/knockdown texture project. Two fast coats and the ceilings look unreal. No stains to block but nothing bled through and she covered fast and clean.

I used the pro mar 200 (pricey 21.00) for the ceilings because I wanted to two coat it and be done in and out... I've used masterhide before but wanted something with some guts so we could be in and out. PM200 got the job done well for us fast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
We use killz pro x 300 (provided by gc) for our flips and it costs and looks meh. We always have stains that must be primed etc.. it does not cover well imo.

Just used pro mar 200 on popcorn removal/knockdown texture project. Two fast coats and the ceilings look unreal. No stains to block but nothing bled through and she covered fast and clean.

I used the pro mar 200 (pricey 21.00) for the ceilings because I wanted to two coat it and be done in and out... I've used masterhide before but wanted something with some guts so we could be in and out. PM200 got the job done well for us fast.
What ever you use. Back roll and leave touch-up. Or a product and code for future touch up. Don't think it matters. Most ceilings are moving to a color trend now. Flat ceilings are going the way of popcorn in the next few years imo

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I'm ln the process of repainting some ceilings for a client who formerly owned a Tru Value hardeware store in town.It shut its doors and he had a stash of their tru value ceiling flt.wht. premium that he insisted I use.I was very reluctant to try it but I did and I was actually suprised how well it covered over a prime coat.Dried to a dead flat also.This was a bedroom ceiling and I have 985 sq ft.of ceiling coming up with scans of natural light.This will obviously be the "tru test" of tru value.Being ceilings I guess you can say my nose will be stuck up at it regardless the outcome.:whistling2:

·
Registered
914 Posts
. The job I am doing now calls for the ppg high build primer through out. For top coat It calls for flat utlra hide 150. Is that a good option? Normally I use BM ceiling white SWP promar 200 but its what they want. For walls I have the option of ultra 150 or diamond 350 eggshell..

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
. The job I am doing now calls for the ppg high build primer through out. For top coat It calls for flat utlra hide 150. Is that a good option? Normally I use BM ceiling white SWP promar 200 but its what they want. For walls I have the option of ultra 150 or diamond 350 eggshell..

this :yes:

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
this :yes:
OK PPG was closed today but I know they have the pittsburgh in stock. This job calls for a specific primer but in future jobs such as condos and spec homes do you need to prime first? Or is 2 coats of the pittsburgh ceiling white gonna do the trick.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
OK PPG was closed today but I know they have the pittsburgh in stock. This job calls for a specific primer but in future jobs such as condos and spec homes do you need to prime first? Or is 2 coats of the pittsburgh ceiling white gonna do the trick.

if it was painted, yes
if not, I would prime first
it seems most others here would happily paint 2 coats of finish:rolleyes:

·
Registered
914 Posts
I couldnt get the pittsburgh premium flat at my local PPG. They had PPG/pittsburgh speedhide, Ultra hide 150, Promaster in my price range. Manorhall and breakthrough was just too pricey. Anyway I need to find a good PPG flat for condos that I can also use as a primer. Basically what we do is spray and roll a coat of flat throughout as a primer/finish. Then as units get sold new owners have the option to pay me to finish coat all the walls with eggshell. Normally i use all swp and benmoore but GC wants to supply all materials and thats where his account is. I have 60 units to at least prime so once I start i really dont want to open a can of worms with different products. The job I am at now is the GCs personal house so it gets primed.

61 - 80 of 105 Posts