Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have good advice on teaming up with property management companies? I have been trying to look companies up on the internet and make cold calls, but I have been having a hard time even getting past the receptionist or whoever is answering the phones. A lot of them have said to e-mail them or fax them some info on our company, but I want to make sure that we don't just get looked over. How do I catch their ears or eyes and get a meeting with them or the chance to bid on one of their projects?

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
A good friend of mine works with PM's exclusively. Its all about consistency. His motto is call, write fax! He keeps his name in front of them constantly. Be different. Go to a PM's office and bring coffee cups with your logo. Give the secretaries logo'd mouse pads. Join the organizations that they join. CAI is a good one.

I have just started marketing hard to pm's. My very first trip I was offered a $750,000 contract. The work was on high rise buildings and was way outta my league but I have since done some very lucrative jobs via PM's. Its worth the expense and the time.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Start with your price sheet. If you're going to just paint apartments have a price sheet breaking down 1br 2br trim ceilings etc. Cover some bases and leave yourself some wiggle room. You'll never cover all the bases in a one page price sheet. Make sure your prices are really really really cheap. If you don't have any business at all you gotta get that first customer. And then drop their name with everyone else you talk to. Many of the companies expect an email once a year or so bumping prices 3-5%. Once you're in the door with a few you can up your starting price and balance the need/greed more on the greed side. (i really need this contract/I really want this much out of this contract).

Getting past the receptionist is a common problem. Do a little research on the company before you call them; google 'em. Find out who the owner/manager is. You can also listen to voice mail and find out if they have a purchasing or scheduling agent. Don't ask the receptionist "who do I talk to about painting for you guys." You have to say, "Hey, it's me Mark, with Mark's Painting (sounding like you talk to them all the time) I was calling for Sheila Smith." The receptionist will send you right through!

I've talked to guys who would get hired by the company with the sole purpose of getting the painting contract. You could also pose as a prospective renter to get info about who does what in the company and a little about the quality of work they're looking for. "So if there's a problem in this building who would I talk to?" or "This paint looks like @ss; I just happen to know a good painter?"

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Does anyone have good advice on teaming up with property management companies? I have been trying to look companies up on the internet and make cold calls, but I have been having a hard time even getting past the receptionist or whoever is answering the phones. A lot of them have said to e-mail them or fax them some info on our company, but I want to make sure that we don't just get looked over. How do I catch their ears or eyes and get a meeting with them or the chance to bid on one of their projects?
Apts=gross.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I have the same question, only with respect to large builder firms/general contractors who sub a lot of work including painting. I have tried cold calling before - no success. I think that getting jobs like this takes more than just calling...you need to develop closer relationships/get introduced through a mutual party or organization?

Our goal for next season is to make a transition out of being 90% in the residential repaint market and (as much as possible) into the commercial/new home market.

Any good ideas?

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Why in the world would you want to do that?
Because once you get hooked up with a large homebuilder (or a few), you could potentially get a stream of property after property in the same development, especially if it's a townhouse/apartment complex. No driving out to do estimates (after the first time), no bookings, simpler scheduling, guys get the feel for one property and just duplicate that over and over, etc, etc. It could be lucrative, if you get together with a large developer who outsources most of their work.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Make sure you do your homework on this. We've done work for nationally known residential builders. It's not as easy as you might think, especially when you consider the current economy.

Your scheduling woes will be far from over, even on some of the larger projects.

Just my $0.02 -- don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Make sure you do your homework on this. We've done work for nationally known residential builders. It's not as easy as you might think, especially when you consider the current economy.

Your scheduling woes will be far from over, even on some of the larger projects.

Just my $0.02 -- don't put all of your eggs in one basket.
Thanks for your reply. Anyone else who has done commercial/new residential/multifamily developments, etc work on a sub-contractor basis have any input? I would greatly appreciate it. Looks like for now we will be continuing in the residential repaint market but also expand into the commercial/multi-family/new home market starting next season. Will have to get more guys to accomplish this end.

More suggestion from all who have done sub-contracting is greatly appreciated! Thanks.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Most of our work is with smaller GC's who work with developers building multifamily units, townhomes or spec homes and custom homes.
The key is to find good contractors, the kind that have an office, pm, secretary, require insurance, etc and value quality. They are more likely to have steady work.
Other subs are a great resource, network with them.
Not big homebuilders unless you want to do blow and go and can do it quickly and efficiently.
2 of the GCs I sent a color folder of our work with an intro letter and kept in touch by email, flyer or phone call. Sometimes it is just being in the right place at the right time. One time I called and a GC said he was fed up with his painter and I would get the next house.
You have to flexible and get along with the other trades.
You also need to be able to wait up to 30 days for Bank draws at times.

·
Systems Fanatic
1,390 Posts
I've had some success with property managers. The key--as with any customer--is to know what they need.
My experience with property managers is that they are overworked and underpaid. If you can make their job easier, you will be a hero.

A maintenance program is one way to differentiate yourself and make life easier for the property manager.

Brian Phillips

1 - 15 of 15 Posts