Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.t-mobilepictures.com/pho...g?tw=305&th=228&_rh=8br8a7slhkodx92yvdkkca32h

I know it is some sort of vent. There are about 30 of them on the house. The previous painters have painted over them, so it isn't venting anything right now.

More importantly if these are painted over will they prevent the house from breathing properly? Would it lead to moisture trouble in the walls and possibly premature failure of the paint?

The people who own this house have been dealing with premature paint failures for 25 years. They blamed the painters, and so did I until they told me about the companies, reputable companies with good references and insurance. In other words these people did their homework and still got burned.

So before I paint this house I want to make sure it was the painters and not the house, so in three years I'm not the deadbeat painter.

P.S. I told them I wouldn't paint the house until they got an OK from either the city building inspector or an engineer. I would love to hear some opinions from the pro's on here.

(I posted this at CT.com as well.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
That, if i'm not mistaken, is a plug from re-insulating the house with a blow in style... mostly done in the 70's or so to "fix" old homes. Paint em, then install vent plugs along the top of the wall to let the place breathe, about every 24". You can get em at hd pretty cheap.

BTW, thats a LOAD of paint on that house, I can see at least two repairs in that pic... what is it, 1930 or so home?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good guess, they said 1927. You can also tell that the previous painters didn't do a very good job sanding.

About the blown in thing, These holes are only about an inch in diameter. I thought the insulation holes were larger. They are also at crazy heights all over the house, some two stories up some at eye level, but I didn't think fire breaks were a common practice back when this house was built.

They are also only on two sides of the house and at random intervals. Why wouldn't they re insulate between all of the studs?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK assuming they are for blown in insulation. What is causing the premature failure of this paint? The only thing I can think is there is moisture trapped between the walls and it is escaping through the siding.

Vapor barrier?

It's not really my problem, but it is bothering me. I just hope they can find a competent expert in their city in order to put all our minds at ease. I certainly don't want my paint job failing in a few years. They seam to be great people, a really sweet old couple.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ya... the practice was to make a hole up high to blow it in, and a hole down low for exhaust... plug the holes and leave.... no barrier to speak of so it's basically now, a wet house with cellouse in it. Those old plugs were SUPPOSED to breathe, but... heh. Course, i'd have to see one up close to be sure.... easy way to tell is to pop one out, if you see blown style insulation, well... they didn't have that back then. The repair comment was possibly an addon, the siding stops at the window, big no no... so it COULD have a fireblock, or at the least a few sistered studs around that window from a past tree/fire/etc. In this business, you gotta be half detective. What about over the windows? Drip edge? They didn't use those either.. no such thing... water pouring down the eaves, etc... That wood cannot be replaced unless it's a spec store, they don't make it anymore, etc. ;) You can date anything with a little insight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will for sure. I really want this job.
It is a 40 minute drive from my house so I normally would try to price myself out of it. I really only want to restore these, seemingly, very nice people's faith in contractors.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
40 minute job?? I would love a 40 minute drive :) It takes me an 1hr 15min to go 28 miles on my current job gotta love traffic and 3$ a gal gas!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts