Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been working with a design/build/remodel company solid for the past 4 months subbing for them and periodically over the past few years. I have a good relationship with them.

Among typical wall/trim/ceilings, etc., I am asked to do touchups on the prefinished cabinets they install. So I'm asked to caulk, fill nail holes, address dings if they arise, and get color matches for paint touchups on them. The cabinet people they order from apparently don't provide colors/sheens, hence, the color matches.

I'm seeing this is a pretty standard/typical ask for their projects, so I want to have best practices in place and get your feedback on what you would expect or what you would do.

My concern is that a client is going to have an issue with some aspect of the touch-ups and a full, detailed refinishing will be asked or the like. I've been a part of plenty cabinet paints in the past in prepping/assisting, but it's not something I have done very much of since going solo a few years back...so I'm a little intimidated at the thought of needing a perfect finish/starting over. I do my best, but there may be a level of detail expected at some point that is beyond my expertise.

I cut my teeth on residential repaints, so always looking to better understand the expectations and subtleties of remodels/new construction.

What do you think of this ask? Is this typical? What would you/do you do?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
21,511 Posts
Just because you have been doing touch-ups doesn’t (or shouldn’t) mean you would be tapped to do a full refinishing if you aren’t comfortable doing so. Be up front with your contractor and have him connect with somebody willing and able to do such a thing if the need arises.
If you WANT to be in a position to do a complete job, get yourself a sprayer and start practicing on some old units until you get comfortable with your technique and some products (both subjects for another thread).
Or, if an experienced guy IS brought in, see if you can work with him to learn. He may, or may not, be cool with doing something like that.

·
Registered
358 Posts
It's too bad their cabinet supplier can't provide product specs, just making a tricky job even more difficult. Do you usually have pretty good success with your matches?

Sometimes even when I have the exact product I did the job with it can still be difficult to do touch-ups in certain areas such as areas with high reflections, or large panels.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,170 Posts
Ya, I would tell your contractor that if touching up cabinets is going to be a regular thing, he should look into getting touchup product. Cabinet installers I work with always have some on site. They usually have a supply of artist brushes for dings, nail holes etc.

·
Registered
410 Posts
You got to get an air assisted airless,learn how to use it,get comfy masking off panels or rails or whatever and just go corner to corner with a nice even spray fan,411 turn up the air turn down the liquid,or a smaller tip for narrower areas.
Its not rocket surgery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts