Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi painting professionals,

I hired an (inexperienced?) guy to paint my interior door and window pre-primed trimwork. The paint I used is Benjamin Moore Aura Satin. The painter sprayed with Graco Magnum X5 with FFLP 208 / 310 tip, at ~2500 psi. No thinining. I found that quite a lot of the places area not smooth as desired.

See how the red areas in pictures are different from the green areas which looks more correct to me.

I believe the unsmooth area are caused by insufficient paint/coverage from what I can see while they spray. However they did try to spray thicker and it is pretty easy to have runs (room temperature is 50 f). The sweet zone is very narrow and it is almost impossible to get good result consistently.

Any idea what might be going wrong here?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi painting professionals,

I hired an (inexperienced?) guy to paint my interior door and window pre-primed trimwork. The paint I used is Benjamin Moore Aura Satin. The painter sprayed with Graco Magnum X5 with FFLP 208 / 310 tip, at ~2500 psi. No thinining. I found that quite a lot of the places area not smooth as desired.

See how the red areas in pictures are different from the green areas which looks more correct to me.

I believe the unsmooth area are caused by insufficient paint/coverage from what I can see while they spray. However they did try to spray thicker and it is pretty easy to have runs (room temperature is 50 f). The sweet zone is very narrow and it is almost impossible to get good result consistently.

Any idea what might be going wrong here? View attachment 111223 View attachment 111224
I see holes not filled, I also see the woodwork was either not sanded to dusted enough. It looks like dirt in the finish.
Aura is wall paint, not cabinet paint I never sprayed it. It may not flow well or needs a bid of thinning.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see holes not filled, I also see the woodwork was either not sanded to dusted enough. It looks like dirt in the finish.
Aura is wall paint, not cabinet paint I never sprayed it. It may not flow well or needs a bid of thinning.
Do you mean all those tiny "holes"? Pretty sure they are not from the wood surface, should be air gap in the coating. Surface were sanded smooth at least for the areas I showed in the picture. Yeah I can see the dirts but that's not what I'm trying to figure out in particular.

It sounds like adding thinner might be what we can try, but will that make running/dripping even worse?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you mean all those tiny "holes"? Pretty sure they are not from the wood surface, should be air gap in the coating. Surface were sanded smooth at least for the areas I showed in the picture. Yeah I can see the dirts but that's not what I'm trying to figure out in particular.

It sounds like adding thinner might be what we can try, but will that make running/dripping even worse?
Yep, or try XIM
XIM 11071 Latex X-Tender Flow and Leveling Additive, 1-Gallon
Home depot may carry it,

·
Administrator
19,801 Posts
PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com. If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to Register.

This thread is now closed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.