Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a little different question than often asked here, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion to see what people use in real life day to day on jobs, instead of discussing what paint is ideal. Also it's possibly a way to get some consistent activity on this board as a thread idea. It's sort of like a "What song are you listening to now?" discussion.

So I'll start, my lowly mentions but nonetheless mentions.

Primer:
Valspar Stain Blocking Bonding Primer.

Paints:
Zinsser Permawhite and SW Solo in satin stock white.

Use case:
Fiberglass/vinyl? door trim for the bonding primer, SW Solo on that, and the primer on some shelves in a closet and Zinsser Permawhite since I used it last on a closet downstairs in their house that had moisture issues, but had 3/4 of a gallon left from that job.

Opinions about the paint:
The Valspar bonding primer is a decent buy for $27 a gallon, definitely way better than Bullseye 1-2-3 in current day, it has a very thick yogurt-like consistency sorta similar to some BM paints, but brushes really well and lays out nice, without sagging or running. Coverage seems really good, too, though it's grayed out quite a lot compared to even Zinnser Permawhite, but it's a primer so that's fine. For adhesion, everything so far seems to be sticking nicely and I can't fingernail it off cleaned fiberglass/vinyl, but I was a bit worried in that I had some come off with a rag while caulking even after being dry overnight. Overall topcoated though, it seems very adequate and invincible to fingernails topcoated with only a couple day cure. Testing stainblocking ability on the closet shelves that had various weird stains on them from leaking cleaning supplies/etc, since they're closet shelves it's not critical like a ceiling water spot, so it's a good test, good first time using the primer. So far it's not as good as Aqualock, the best WB bonding primer I've ever used, but I'd put it above Bullseye and Promar with the caveat that maybe it's a bit too thick to use as a general drywall primer.

Zinsser Permawhite is a paint I don't see liked much here either, but I think it's a decent bathroom paint, and potentially a trim paint, though it doesn't dry crazy hard, it flows and levels well, but it's very thin, so if you hate thin paints it's bad, but if you like them it's not bad. Sorta firmly "it's paint" but I do come back to it/like it for some reason. It also definitely does work in moldy environments as well, and lives up to its marketing.

SW Solo I'm using is quite a old gallon from 2015 or 2016 I got on sale from my local SW a couple years ago. I liked Solo better than Proclassic at one point, it seemed like a better handling version of it, and this gallon is pre-formula change/something happening I encountered in 2017. If your local SW can get it in and you're normally a latex Proclassic user, SW Solo could be potentially a step up at maybe some cost savings. I like having it around as it's interior/exterior rated so having one stock white satin or semi-gloss paint you can use inside and out on door frames/etc is great.

Obviously a complete essay review of the paint or talking about the job in extreme detail isn't required, but as per the board's name, let's talk about what paint we used last.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I only do interior work and use PPG's "Gripper" latex based primer or Benjamin Moore's "Fresh Start" oil based primer. Of course, the oil based is much better for stain blocking power. As for trim paint and wall paint, I use Benjamin Moore's Regal Classic in Semi-Gloss for trim and Eggshell for walls. All of these products are a dream to work with.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
this is the first budget job i have done. super hide zero walls and sk5000 acrylic/alkyd thinned about 5% and sprayed all doors one coat with a 310 and stacked. perhaps the dirtiest place I have ever been in there was what looked like formerly spaghetti sauce on the bedroom ceiling. there was some adhesive residue we absolutely could not get off the cabinets. boogers all over the doors. the bathrooms... 500watt lights .. yuck!

·
Registered
Painter & Furniture Refinishing
2,699 Posts
SICO Evolution Interior Paint and Primer - Eggshell Finish (PPG) A true, self priming paint! Amazing! Better still, almost 600'sq per gallon. Nice finish. Forget trying to clean roller sleeves! Regular price CAD $61.99 BUT can often be found on sale for $49.59. I was forced to find a new paint due to pandemic supply issues but from now on, this will be my first choice for wall paint!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
  • 1-2-3 primer on new drywall (just because I was out of Freshstart, it was a weekend, and all I had was Lowe's, but I've never had any reason to complain about 1-2-3 either. Just prefer the FreshStart.)
  • ScuffX Matte (walls)
  • and...SW "Showcase" white semi - one of those "HGTV" things. This was also because it was a weekend and all I had was Lowe's. This was poor planning on my part, but the excuse is that it was at my own house. So, if you've never used Showcase, it's neither horrid nor great. It seems to have really good adhesion, esp judging by how hard it was to clean my brushes and hands. On the other hand, coverage was not great at all. It has that frustrating kind of translucence that you find in some whites. And while it brushed/rolled relatively "ok" without setting up too awfully fast it also didn't level worth a damn. If you like to easily see your tool marks, then I'd recommend it for that. 😝

·
Registered
775 Posts
We usually scuff x satin on cabinets but the HO specified Sherwin Emerald trim urethane. Sometimes I will talk a client out of something but I was actually interested in trying it as it had been a few years since I'd sprayed it but remember that it laid down pretty nicely. I remember the satin being very dull so we went with semi-gloss. That was probably a mistake as the semi-gloss was quite shiny, and I believe they've reformulated the satin to make it a bit shinier. It does indeed lay down nicely but like anything that does it can get away from you a bit on the verticals if you don't keep that fact in mind.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
  • 1-2-3 primer on new drywall (just because I was out of Freshstart, it was a weekend, and all I had was Lowe's, but I've never had any reason to complain about 1-2-3 either. Just prefer the FreshStart.)
  • ScuffX Matte (walls)
  • and...SW "Showcase" white semi - one of those "HGTV" things. This was also because it was a weekend and all I had was Lowe's. This was poor planning on my part, but the excuse is that it was at my own house. So, if you've never used Showcase, it's neither horrid nor great. It seems to have really good adhesion, esp judging by how hard it was to clean my brushes and hands. On the other hand, coverage was not great at all. It has that frustrating kind of translucence that you find in some whites. And while it brushed/rolled relatively "ok" without setting up too awfully fast it also didn't level worth a damn. If you like to easily see your tool marks, then I'd recommend it for that. 😝
Oddly out of the Lowes wall paints I think Valspar Signature might be the best. Though I never used the HGTV Home SW stuff, to be fair. I found Signature levels fairly well but can run a bit. I think I'd firmly place it somewhere around SW Superpaint in end finish result and coverage, maybe a good bit better.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,988 Posts
In an interesting turn of events, I sprayed some doors (4) today with Advance Matte finish, with..wait for it..my hvlp. 2.0 tip thinned about 10%ish.. I'm going to clear them after. There is no Advance 792 1X base on the whole island, so oppted to go this route. It was a deep base colour, so felt better clearing it anyhow.
Got me thinking how the Matte finish would probably be really nice for a high stairwell or something because of the long open time.. 🤷‍♀️ Has anyone used the Advance Matte on walls??

·
Registered
775 Posts
In an interesting turn of events, I sprayed some doors (4) today with Advance Matte finish, with..wait for it..my hvlp. 2.0 tip thinned about 10%ish.. I'm going to clear them after. There is no Advance 792 1X base on the whole island, so oppted to go this route. It was a deep base colour, so felt better clearing it anyhow.
Got me thinking how the Matte finish would probably be really nice for a high stairwell or something because of the long open time.. 🤷‍♀️ Has anyone use the Advance Matte on walls?
I haven't tried Advance on walls, that'd be interesting to see. What clear are you using?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Oddly out of the Lowes wall paints I think Valspar Signature might be the best. Though I never used the HGTV Home SW stuff, to be fair. I found Signature levels fairly well but can run a bit. I think I'd firmly place it somewhere around SW Superpaint in end finish result and coverage, maybe a good bit better.
I ended up in the Valspar signature once when the HOs supplied the paint. (Not up to me as I just work for another guy). It was just for a bathroom repaint after a minor remodel, and yeah, it was fine and I'd say right around on par with Superpaint too.

·
Monarchski
298 Posts
This is a little different question than often asked here, but I think it'd be an interesting discussion to see what people use in real life day to day on jobs, instead of discussing what paint is ideal. Also it's possibly a way to get some consistent activity on this board as a thread idea. It's sort of like a "What song are you listening to now?" discussion.

So I'll start, my lowly mentions but nonetheless mentions.

Primer:
Valspar Stain Blocking Bonding Primer.

Paints:
Zinsser Permawhite and SW Solo in satin stock white.

Use case:
Fiberglass/vinyl? door trim for the bonding primer, SW Solo on that, and the primer on some shelves in a closet and Zinsser Permawhite since I used it last on a closet downstairs in their house that had moisture issues, but had 3/4 of a gallon left from that job.

Opinions about the paint:
The Valspar bonding primer is a decent buy for $27 a gallon, definitely way better than Bullseye 1-2-3 in current day, it has a very thick yogurt-like consistency sorta similar to some BM paints, but brushes really well and lays out nice, without sagging or running. Coverage seems really good, too, though it's grayed out quite a lot compared to even Zinnser Permawhite, but it's a primer so that's fine. For adhesion, everything so far seems to be sticking nicely and I can't fingernail it off cleaned fiberglass/vinyl, but I was a bit worried in that I had some come off with a rag while caulking even after being dry overnight. Overall topcoated though, it seems very adequate and invincible to fingernails topcoated with only a couple day cure. Testing stainblocking ability on the closet shelves that had various weird stains on them from leaking cleaning supplies/etc, since they're closet shelves it's not critical like a ceiling water spot, so it's a good test, good first time using the primer. So far it's not as good as Aqualock, the best WB bonding primer I've ever used, but I'd put it above Bullseye and Promar with the caveat that maybe it's a bit too thick to use as a general drywall primer.

Zinsser Permawhite is a paint I don't see liked much here either, but I think it's a decent bathroom paint, and potentially a trim paint, though it doesn't dry crazy hard, it flows and levels well, but it's very thin, so if you hate thin paints it's bad, but if you like them it's not bad. Sorta firmly "it's paint" but I do come back to it/like it for some reason. It also definitely does work in moldy environments as well, and lives up to its marketing.

SW Solo I'm using is quite a old gallon from 2015 or 2016 I got on sale from my local SW a couple years ago. I liked Solo better than Proclassic at one point, it seemed like a better handling version of it, and this gallon is pre-formula change/something happening I encountered in 2017. If your local SW can get it in and you're normally a latex Proclassic user, SW Solo could be potentially a step up at maybe some cost savings. I like having it around as it's interior/exterior rated so having one stock white satin or semi-gloss paint you can use inside and out on door frames/etc is great.

Obviously a complete essay review of the paint or talking about the job in extreme detail isn't required, but as per the board's name, let's talk about what paint we used last.
Might be a good thing the Solo was an old can. They've reformulated that product and it's a soft finish now. Don't care for it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Might be a good thing the Solo was an old can. They've reformulated that product and it's a soft finish now. Don't care for it.
Thanks for chiming in, I had what I thought was a bad batch of the semi-gloss in 2017 and it was soft and awful, but I didn't know if it was just humid conditions or getting a bad batch, etc. Sad it's permanently reformulated now, maybe I'll get a gallon of the Behr urethane alkyd in white as a general use interior/exterior trim paint, but this old gallon has been as awesome as I remember.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Emerald interior matte.

Had to drive to another state for 3 gallons, which is obnoxious.

Long running remodel of a vacation home.
Been there done that. Before the holidays I bought the last 3 gallons of Cashmere LL that they had at the store in the town I was working in, which is 45 miles up the road from me. Of course I ran out and needed 1 more gallon, which they had at a store 45 more miles up the road from the job. I went to get it and brought it back to the original store to have it tinted. And THEY charged ME a supply chain charge!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Varathane "One Coat" oil based stain + Minwax Polycrylic in satin on some door casings.

I really like Polycrylic. I do get a couple very tiny bubbles and it does set up quick, but it dries nice and hard and looks really great overall, but it's such a pleasure to not be huffing oil based fumes and washing brushes out with water. Dry time is a plus in that you can do multiple coats in a day, too. I'll definitely try to use it more often now instead of oil based poly, just because it's so much more pleasant to work with. I think for table tops I'd still prefer oil based overall, if anything for chemical resistance, but for things that don't need to be "abuse resistant" I'm really liking Polycrylic and its ease of use is great.

·
Registered
177 Posts
We just finished a house that was Advance satin on the trim and Regal matte and Scuff-x matte on the walls. I had priced it with Aura on the trim, which I wish I had used, because it covers better, but the home owner really liked Advance. I personally like the Aura better. Covers better and easier to work with. Now we just started a cabinet job and sprayed ML Campbell Aqualfi primer and will be trying out ML Campbell Arroyo 1K for the finish. I haven't used this product before.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts