Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey everyone!

Taking a quick survey...just curious!

For this scenario, what brush are you currently using, or what is your favorite?

Interior trim, brushing Advance (or emerald urethane) semi gloss. New or repaint... 3”-6” baseboard window/door trim.

I’m using a 2 1/2” purdy clearcut, but more recently a Wooster ultra pro in 2 1/2”
I like the Wooster better...
Corona, all the way! Purdys, especially since Sherwin Williams bought them out, deteriorate too fast. Everything else, to me, is like painting with cardboard.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
2,563 Posts
Corona, all the way! Purdys, especially since Sherwin Williams bought them out, deteriorate too fast. Everything else, to me, is like painting with cardboard.
I did have 1 of those Corona 3" ovular sash's. That thing was incredible. Could cut a wall as far as I could reach.

·
Super Moderator
6,528 Posts
I did have 1 of those Corona 3" ovular sash's. That thing was incredible. Could cut a wall as far as I could reach.
Where you gettin' those in Canada? I'd consider those 3"ers in exterior season.

As of now, my options are to go to the city a few times a year and spend a boatload on dulux brushes. Tried everything I can get locally and nothing works. The dulux brushes are great, just always looking for options.

·
Super Moderator
2,563 Posts
Where you gettin' those in Canada? I'd consider those 3"ers in exterior season.

As of now, my options are to go to the city a few times a year and spend a boatload on dulux brushes. Tried everything I can get locally and nothing works. The dulux brushes are great, just always looking for options.
Funny enough, I use the dulux brushes too. They're fantastic for the price point. I got that Corona from HD a few years back. I think they stopped carrying them now..:cautious:

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts

Chinex bristles (Purdy, Wooster, Corona they're all fine for me) works with my methods (read neglect).

The brushes shown hanging, I washed this morning. They had been soaking in a shallow water bucket for about a week and a half. This is normal for me. When I get busy I dont take care of my brushes. There is a slight bend in a few bristles, but I can straighten them out when they dry.

Do you know any other bristle filament that could take this kind of neglect and still look this good?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Love the Purdy Chinex. Used to use the Wooster chinex blend from HD then started using the Purdy chinex at SW. Took my local store about 2 yrs to finally stock them, had to buy special order until then. SW finally figured something out right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey everyone!

Taking a quick survey...just curious!

For this scenario, what brush are you currently using, or what is your favorite?

Interior trim, brushing Advance (or emerald urethane) semi gloss. New or repaint... 3”-6” baseboard window/door trim.

I’m using a 2 1/2” purdy clearcut, but more recently a Wooster ultra pro in 2 1/2”
I like the Wooster better...
Purdy Nylox. The soft bristles leave a nice finish.

·
Registered
344 Posts
If I'm going to leave the project for a few hours I always wrap the end of the brush in Aluminum Foil tightly, I actually forgot about the brush, as some days beer takes precedent, anyhow went back the next day, easy to clean if I wrapped them in foil.
I almost always wrap with plastic wrap. It works well. Why do you use foil?

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,113 Posts
It's not uncommon for me to wrap em in plastic and hide them in our fridge in the summer. It's also not uncommon for my wife to yell at me for doing so.

To the OP...E & J Gen X.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm a fan of Tynex/Orel brushes for interior work—Coronas when I can get 'em, Purdy XLs when I can't. Straight nylon brushes like the Nylox feel too floppy to me. I know a lot of people who love the Wooster Alphas, but I'm not a huge fan--didn't lay paint on all that smooth or last very long before bristles went bad, at least in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,563 Posts
View attachment 111482

View attachment 111483

Chinex bristles (Purdy, Wooster, Corona they're all fine for me) works with my methods (read neglect).

The brushes shown hanging, I washed this morning. They had been soaking in a shallow water bucket for about a week and a half. This is normal for me. When I get busy I dont take care of my brushes. There is a slight bend in a few bristles, but I can straighten them out when they dry.

Do you know any other bristle filament that could take this kind of neglect and still look this good?
Man, you better put a lock and key on that! Interesting i haven't used those ones. I always thought they were for oil paint. But if clean up is easier, I'm sold.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
Man, you better put a lock and key on that! Interesting i haven't used those ones. I always thought they were for oil paint. But if clean up is easier, I'm sold.
chinex, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Chinex is a synthetic DuPont filament, so yeah, good for latex only. I think each brush maker uses a slightly different blend. I’ve tried most of them, and they are all fine with me- Purdy is just less expensive and easier to attain for me.

They’re soft enough, and they don’t harden up and collect paint at the ferrule like nylon and poly. I can use them outside all day in summer, and at the end of the day the paint just slides of the bristles with water and a wire brush.

Have switched to them almost exclusively for latex. Have maybe thrown half dozen away in as many years, mostly user error.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
chinex, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways...

Chinex is a synthetic DuPont filament, so yeah, good for latex only. I think each brush maker uses a slightly different blend. I’ve tried most of them, and they are all fine with me- Purdy is just less expensive and easier to attain for me.

They’re soft enough, and they don’t harden up and collect paint at the ferrule like nylon and poly. I can use them outside all day in summer, and at the end of the day the paint just slides of the bristles with water and a wire brush.

Have switched to them almost exclusively for latex. Have maybe thrown half dozen away in as many years, mostly user error.
Chinex is actually really good for oil paints and varnish

21 - 40 of 57 Posts