Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings everyone!

I pray that everything is fantastic with all of you!

I was just wondering what type/brand of paint would you use to paint a fitness/gym/weightlifting facility?

I rarely do commercial work (though I seems to be getting asked alot lately to look at more and more of these types of projects through word of mouth) so I'm not too familiar with the type of paints used for these types of facilities! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless!

· FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Ok...here's the thing sttryffe (assuming that's not your real name, lol).
You gave us absolutely no details as to what you're actually painting!

Ceilings? Floors? Equipment? Walls? Metal? Plastic? Wood? Counters? Bathrooms? Customers?

If you give us some very specific details, we can help you some more.

Ps-please don't take my walmart comment seriously...walmart is no place for painters!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok...here's the thing sttryffe (assuming that's not your real name, lol).
You gave us absolutely no details as to what you're actually painting!

Ceilings? Floors? Equipment? Walls? Metal? Plastic? Wood? Counters? Bathrooms? Customers?

If you give us some very specific details, we can help you some more.

Ps-please don't take my walmart comment seriously...walmart is no place for painters!
Hello Rich!

I do apologize....I didn't even realize that I didn't say what I'd be painting! Thanks for pointing that out! I do appreciate it!

There are regular walls, trim, doors (some are new...unpainted metal...the others have been previously painted), baseboards and ceilings (unpainted metal in some places....regular ceiling in others).

I didn't take your comments seriously Rich....if anything you gave me a good laugh....so thanks! And thanks for taking the time to stay with me on this topic!

God Bless!

· FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
Think durable and washable

Walls, ceilings, trim and doors I guess it's really up to you. I'm a big SW guy, so I may used something like superpaint on walls or even duration if it's in the budget. Ceilings are just flat white paint. Trim, probably something semi-gloss or gloss. Doors same as trim. The unpainted metal jams/doors can get hit with DTM. The painted metal could really be painted with anything because the substrate is already paint, but an enamel would be super durable. I might use rustoleum primer on the baseboards(in a can/not a rattle can) per some advice I had gotten a while back in here...and it worked great I might add. Then you can topcoat that with the trim paint you bought or some enamel.

I'd (personally) stick with latex, maybe even low odor/low VOC/green, whatever you call it... to keep it environmentally friendly.

Just think washable and durable. I guess you could also go with more industrial type paints, but it may be overkill for such a place.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Walls, ceilings, trim and doors I guess it's really up to you. I'm a big SW guy, so I may used something like superpaint on walls or even duration if it's in the budget. Ceilings are just flat white paint. Trim, probably something semi-gloss or gloss. Doors same as trim. The unpainted metal jams/doors can get hit with DTM. The painted metal could really be painted with anything because the substrate is already paint, but an enamel would be super durable. I might use rustoleum primer on the baseboards(in a can/not a rattle can) per some advice I had gotten a while back in here...and it worked great I might add. Then you can topcoat that with the trim paint you bought or some enamel.

I'd (personally) stick with latex, maybe even low odor/low VOC/green, whatever you call it... to keep it environmentally friendly.

Just think washable and durable. I guess you could also go with more industrial type paints, but it may be overkill for such a place.
Yes....superpaint is some amazing stuff! I've used that stuff more than anything else! I'm a big SW man myself! What's DTM??? I was actually considering using Duration because of how well it cleans up and also because of the fact that it's a lov VOC product!

One last thing....maybe I should have started a new thread for this....but do you charge differently when it comes to commercial job as opposed to residential???? For instance if I was painting a 10x10 room in a house....and then I got asked to paint the same room in commercial setting....would the price differ?

Thanks for all the great advice.....again I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! And a big thanks again to Sean & Tmrrptr for your help also!

· FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
DTM is direct to metal...great product. I believe SW and BM have it. Not so sure on the bidding question, I'm a residential guy myself.

· Registered
29 Posts
For walls I would use Ceramic paint. Its very washable. I painted the church that I go to with it. Every scuff and mark on the wall that has been made has washed off with a wet cloth with no problems at all. The ceramic paint that I used was Pittsburgh Paints Wall Hide Matte finish. When it drys is kind of smooths over (No pores.) unlike flat paint which isn't very washable.
Its a great paint for someplace thats going to have lots of people getting against it.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For walls I would use Ceramic paint. Its very washable. I painted the church that I go to with it. Every scuff and mark on the wall that has been made has washed off with a wet cloth with no problems at all. The ceramic paint that I used was Pittsburgh Paints Wall Hide Matte finish. When it drys is kind of smooths over (No pores.) unlike flat paint which isn't very washable.
Its a great paint for someplace thats going to have lots of people getting against it.
Thanks seth! This paint sounds fantastic! I've only used Pittsburg Paints once...I don't even remember what line it was....but it was pretty nice! More and more I'm hearing about Pittsburg's Manor Hall....which I'll be trying sometime soon!

Thanks again people for taking the time to reply! I just can't get enough of this place! It's just really cool how people are here to share and teach! You guys rock!

God Bless!

· Registered
1 Posts
Greetings everyone!

I pray that everything is fantastic with all of you!

I was just wondering what type/brand of paint would you use to paint a fitness/gym/weightlifting facility?

I rarely do commercial work (though I seems to be getting asked alot lately to look at more and more of these types of projects through word of mouth) so I'm not too familiar with the type of paints used for these types of facilities! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless!

hummersinc said:
Hello sttryffe and fellow members! For many years I have been painting using products that have strong odors until I came across an eco-friendly company that carries no VOC's that are safe for both the painter and the environment! If you have an interest in the paint, stains and protective coatings available, please email me at: [email protected] or visit my blog: www.hummersinc.blogspot.com

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why don't people use spell check? It would make reading so much better!
Please people, are we professional or not? At least spell correctly! Dictionaries are cheap!:blink:

Happy painting, Paul.
Hey Paul.....any ideas to share? What paints would you use in a workout facility? And what's your opinion on some of these low/no VOC paints?

Thanks!

17,887 Posts
My original post was just refering to the walls.
Semi gloss is pretty common for that type of job. I would recommend any quality paint from, BM, SW, PPG, ect.

Why don't people use spell check? It would make reading so much better!
Please people, are we professional or not? At least spell correctly! Dictionaries are cheap!:blink:

Happy painting, Paul.
Mine doesn't work. Damn glitchy ass Dell.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.