Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to use latex paint to on old plaster walls in a 1800's house. Some of the walls had to be patched with new plaster where the old plaster was removed down to the lathe. There appears they have been coated with calcimine before being wallpapered. I searched the internet on which primer to use before latex and now I'm totally confused. Should I use oil, water based, shellac or Zinsser Guardz? In addition several of the UK sites mention that the old lime walls have to breathe . What happens to the walls if they can't breathe?

Also does anyone know of any makers (US) of latex free paint?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Futoyos(sp) would have a better idea about Gardz, but I've had to do repairs on old plaster before. Before patching I would prime with gripper, patch, then prime again with gripper (better safe than sorry), then paint with my acrylic top coat

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,227 Posts
From what I recall in painting some older stucco homes with the old limewash coating, we would have to wash it off first for proper adherence. Then, Im certain any multipurpose sealer would do a good job prior to painting with a latex.
Latex free paint? Like 100% Acrylic?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Welcome to Paint Talk

I would like to use latex paint to on old plaster walls in a 1800's house. Some of the walls had to be patched with new plaster where the old plaster was removed down to the lathe. There appears they have been coated with calcimine before being wallpapered. I searched the internet on which primer to use before latex and now I'm totally confused. Should I use oil, water based, shellac or Zinsser Guardz? In addition several of the UK sites mention that the old lime walls have to breathe . What happens to the walls if they can't breathe?

Also does anyone know of any makers (US) of latex free paint?
farm1684, welcome to Paint Talk. I couldn't find your introduction to this forum. What is your paint related trade or field, if I may ask?

futtyos

IBTMTTO

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Intro

I'm just an amateur DIY painter helping family fixing up their old farmhouse. It's more of a hobby then profession.

By the way thanks to all the replies.

·
Super Moderator
7,053 Posts
Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site.www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

This thread is now closed.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.