·
Registered
449 Posts
What platform would you prefer to use?

PC
Tablet
- iPad or Android
Smart phone

Do you want to do estimates onsite or at home?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I like pen and paper myself. I have some sq/ft figures that I use for interior and exterior. I would like to try the Brads Estimating app if I ever got an ipad, too bad you can't use it on a mac?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What platform would you prefer to use?

PC
Tablet
- iPad or Android
Smart phone

Do you want to do estimates onsite or at home?
For now I would want it on pc and do it at home. I been reading about the quick painting proposal and propeller estimate. Has anyone used those before

·
Registered
449 Posts
steve916 said:
For now I would want it on pc and do it at home. I been reading about the quick painting proposal and propeller estimate. Has anyone used those before
Never heard of those. Perhaps someone else has though.
After leaving quickbooks pro I went for Invoice2go enterprise edition.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
This may not be in your wheel house, but I found that my estimating needs were so unique that I had to build my own with an excel spread sheet.

There's a lot of formulas and cell references necessary, but if you have the basic knowledge and motivation, you can build something "light" and efficient.

I found the problem with commercial; estimating software is that they try to be all things to all people, which make them bloated and complicated.

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Chris is right, there is no such thing as in "Best". It all depends on you and what feels right. Steveqpp is also a member here. The owner of QucikPaintingProposal. From what I hear he has a great one.

I'm pretty sure they all come with a trial version where you can check them out before you decide. That's what I would do if I were you.

If you have it in you and want to give it a shot, Like Bill said, write one for yourself using excel. There a millions of examples out there on how to do things. The best thing is it will fit your needs the best because you built it.

Pat

·
Painting Contractor
4,070 Posts
For PC you can also check out CPR Soft paint estimator. I think Brat Apps used this as a template when building theirs. As with Brat I find this great for basic interiors but not so great for exterior repaints.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
This may not be in your wheel house, but I found that my estimating needs were so unique that I had to build my own with an excel spread sheet.

There's a lot of formulas and cell references necessary, but if you have the basic knowledge and motivation, you can build something "light" and efficient.

I found the problem with commercial; estimating software is that they try to be all things to all people, which make them bloated and complicated.
:thumbup:

Reactions: daArch

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'm trying to find the best software to estimate and bid propasols?
Steve, my spreadsheet is really only for exteriors, and is focused on staining and log home restoration, but it might give you a few ideas if you're writing your own.

In my opinion, the most valuable thing you can do is create a list of work items that you should check off, because as you know, it's easy to miss something on a job walkthrough.

I think putting my estimating spreadsheet out there might raise more questions than answers, but that's a good thing here, right? I"ll attach it here, and then make another thread and do a walkthrough on it for the new guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Repaint Florida said:
so can you tell me anything about it? good - bad - worth the money?
Yes I can its worth the money . It's a all in one software like Pats so you can generate proposals , work orders, job costing, hourly rates etc. You can add your material and production rates very easy and changing them is simple. It also has built in estimate templates for repaints , new construction where you can edit them very easy with your own rates. The proposal can show prices per room or just the total of all the work. As it uses MS word it's very simple to find estimates , work orders etc.

I have reviewed and use several estimating programs it's all in what your looking for. Some are like having both an estimating tool and a CRM in one. Others are more simple and pretty much just a excel spreadsheet ( which is just fine) . One big thing to keep in mind is the support that comes with the software, some of the bigger ones might give a free hour then charge for any additional support. Others want a monthly fee to use there software like PEP which I also used and demoed One step Estimating is another one which charges monthly . Sorry if I went off to awnser your question yes it's a very good program like Damon has also said and others its all in what your looking for. I'm not very good at writing or grammar if you want more info or feedback fell free to call me or email me. Is that a new logo in your avatar ?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts