Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

Premium Member
God I've been waiting for this spectacle ever since you said this is where our Mods shine and earn their keep!

Make us proud boys.
I guess being from California, I really don't get this whole cabin fever thing. As far as I can tell, people are working and things are looking better then they were just a few years ago. I'm not certain all of the anticipation for a Winter Fever Fest is going to yield anything more then minor squabbles over coating application.

Pretty boring when things are good and we're all getting along. Probably because there's no reason to drink every evening.

Super Moderator
I guess being from California, I really don't get this whole cabin fever thing. As far as I can tell, people are working and things are looking better then they were just a few years ago. I'm not certain all of the anticipation for a Winter Fever Fest is going to yield anything more then minor squabbles over coating application.

Pretty boring when things are good and we're all getting along. Probably because there's no reason to drink every evening.
I dunno CA, I'm seeing signs of this February rage fest all over the interweb. Another forum I mod on has a thread called "I LOL'd", obviously for jokes, etc. It turned into an all out flame war yesterday. I threatened to post gifs like this one if the guys kept it up. They kept it up.

Even cute pics of widdle puppies couldn't dissuade their anger.

Banned
I never said that.

But to walk into a SW store and patronize a sales rep, by giving him a lecturing speech, is disrespectful.

How would you feel if your customer gave you a lecture prior to hiring you? Would you not consider that a red flag? I believe most painters would run from those types of clients. As Mr. Gough would say, "I would put them on my fecal roster"!
On the other hand, he never said "hey guys guess what I just said to my SW rep!" did he? It's just stuff he mentions to new reps, and you don't know how he brings it up and in what tone. It all seems pretty respectful and reasonable to me, and mirrors my sentiments towards my own reps. And, maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't see the part where SW is referenced at all. I guess what I'm saying, PaintersUntie, is that maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt :D

If I had a dollar for every customer that's lectured me prior to buying something, well, I could go ahead and retire. And I'm a young chap. ;)

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #45
It's amazing how demanding you are. You act like you employee your SW sales rep. :blink:

I have been buying paint from SW since 1989 and have never had theses issues.
I wouldn't expect anything from a rep that I, myself, wouldn't be willing to provide if I were a rep. Just like painters, our customers expect a certain level of skill, knowledge & diligence, (which we hopefully understand and pick up on before ever even submitting our bids). The difference is, we are usually just assigned a paint rep depending upon our area. There is no screening process, no meeting of the minds as far as expectations, etc.

Most reps have already been around the block for quite a while, so when they're assigned as my new rep, our conversations are much more along the lines of which products & materials I prefer to use and which products I'm most interested in trying. I'll notify them before I'm about to make a new equipment purchase in order to give them first right of refusal, and if they can't compete with the prices I've found, or if they don't have time to even look, no prob.

Retired Moderator
On the other hand, he never said "hey guys guess what I just said to my SW rep!" did he? It's just stuff he mentions to new reps, and you don't know how he brings it up and in what tone. It all seems pretty respectful and reasonable to me, and mirrors my sentiments towards my own reps. And, maybe I'm a bit dense, but I don't see the part where SW is referenced at all. I guess what I'm saying, PaintersUntie, is that maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt :D

If I had a dollar for every customer that's lectured me prior to buying something, well, I could go ahead and retire. And I'm a young chap. ;)
Same here. It's really about setting expectations. Contrary to what was mentioned upthread, clients who are very clear about their expectations are our favorites. Telling me exactly what you want is not what gets you on the Fecal Roster...quite the opposite.

The harsh reality is that our job is to serve the clients, and the rep's job is to serve us.

Registered
I think I smell February :thumbup:
I smell something too, but I really don't think that's what February smells like.

Registered

its kind of like a month with no surf. Flat wind driven crap for 4 weeks.

Reactions: daArch and DrakeB

Banned
I got some good reps, I value their insight and knowledge of the coatings. What bugs me is when I get the 5th grade lesson on paint. Then I understand they are use to dealing with 5th grade painters and its become robotic for them. I also don't like feeling like im dealing with a car salesman showing me sll the bells and whistles. If im buying your paint im already sold on you, stop selling and start acting like a partnership.

I love you Joe! (SW Rep)

Registered
its kind of like a month with no surf. Flat wind driven crap for 4 weeks.
Oh wait a minute! I just saw that you are in the SF bay area. So it's kind of like the surf you always have! ( little socal jab there)

Reactions: CApainter

Banned
Same here. It's really about setting expectations. Contrary to what was mentioned upthread, clients who are very clear about their expectations are our favorites. Telling me exactly what you want is not what gets you on the Fecal Roster...quite the opposite.

The harsh reality is that our job is to serve the clients, and the rep's job is to serve us.
Mr. Gough, here is a list of things I've always wanted to tell a painting contractor;

• If you say you will be here at 8am, I expect you here 8am sharp. Please don't keep me waiting to let you in, I have a job and I have to be there at 9am.
  • If you say you are going to start the job on Feb, 19th, please don't call me at a moments notice to postpone.
  • If I give you my business, I expect you to respect my home at all times.
  • I require your men to wear "approved" booties throughout my home, due to my carpets. Been down that road before, with other contractors tracking dirt. Please don't let this happen.
  • If you say you are going to use SW Super paint, please don't substitute the product with an inferior grade.
  • I expect you to have 3 painters on my project at all time, and I expect them to work from 8am till 4:30pm Monday thru Friday, without any disruption to the work schedule. I need this project completed with as little inconvenience as possible. We've fired our last painting contractor for failing to accommodate our needs.
  • You can not park your vehicles in my driveway. Contractors in the past have left motor oil stains on my new concrete. We will deduct any damage your crew creates, from the final bill, if the need arises.
  • I expect you to provide a certificate of insurance for both liability and workers comp, your state license info, along with a minimum (3) references.
  • It is required of your staff, to apply the paints as recommended by the paint manufacture (please read all paint cans for proper application).
If you have any questions, please contact me asap. :rolleyes:

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #55
Mr. Gough, here is a list of things I've always wanted to tell a painting contractor;

• If you say you will be here at 8am, I expect you here 8am sharp. Please don't keep me waiting to let you in, I have a job and I have to be there at 9am.
  • If you say you are going to start the job on Feb, 19th, please don't call me at a moments notice to postpone.
  • I require your men to wear "approved" booties throughout my home, due to my carpets. Been down that road before, with other contractors tracking dirt. Please don't let this happen.
  • If you say you are going to use SW Super paint, please don't substitute the product with an inferior grade.
  • I expect you to have 3 painters on my project at all time, and I expect them to work from 8am till 4:30pm Monday thru Friday, without any disruption to the work schedule. I need this project completed with as little inconvenience as possible. We've fired our last painting contractor for failing to accommodate our needs.
  • You can not park your vehicles in my driveway. Contractors in the past have left motor oil stains on my new concrete. We will deduct any damage your crew creates, from the final bill, if the need arises.
  • I expect you to provide a certificate of insurance for both liability and workers comp, your state license info, along with a minimum (3) references.
  • It is required of your staff, to apply the paints as recommended by the paint manufacture (please read all paint cans for proper application).
And don't forget to put down drops, unless the carpet is being replaced.

Registered

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

RePaintFlorida.com
To my rep from PPG / Porters Paints :
THANKS :thumbsup: prices are great, service is outstanding, products work as should and he balances his service just right ... fast call once a month to thank me and see if he can help with anything and always answers or returns phone call in a timely manner

only sales pitch i get is once a week e-mail on specials

SW rep: 9 out of 10 calls is to sale me something or to take me to lunch to sell me something, i HATE sales calls it waste my time

to be fair i haven't used much SW in the last few years and never worked with this rep so i can't rate him. We have set up a meeting with him & his boss to see if we can work things out but they have a lot to over come for me to give them my business.

Banned
[*]You can not park your vehicles in my driveway. Contractors in the past have left motor oil stains on my new concrete. We will deduct any damage your crew creates, from the final bill, if the need arises.
Funny story

In my youth, I delivered pizzas one summer for some extra cash. We had a customer call back one time that was absolutely irate because I'd left a "huge oil stain all down his driveway."

I drove all the way back out with my boss to take a look. It was condensation from my A/C dripping down. It was like 105 degrees outside, and it was a streak of water. Most of it had evaporated by the time I made it there.

People :rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 91 Posts