Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
As a guy who has worn both pairs of shoes at different times over my 25yrs. Going from painter to painter rep & then back to painter I understand this topic completely. Truthfully, in my 8yrs being a rep I never met anyone who said "I've been dreaming of being a paint rep since I was a little boy". Most paint reps are young people trying to get a start in the working world. They are low paying jobs that don't offer a lot of great moments. It is a thankless job. Your performance is based on what you sold TODAY not that huge job you got last week and your customers only want you to be the cheapest price and be there for him when HE needs. When I was selling I would walk on job sites hoping to meet a potential customer only to get what I call the "stink eye". You know that look..it's that "who is this ahole". I agree most painters don't want to see their rep until there is a problem...have you ever thought about yourself and how comfortable you would be going to see only customer who have problems. Not a fun time for you and it doesn't build much of a relationship.
Why do new reps wanna come out to your job? Cause none of them have seen real painters work! They've heard about it in trainings and maybe seen video but all they know is what the company tells them. They usually have no field experience at all and if your gonna talk about anything but price on your next sales call you need to know something! You guys who have been painting in the field for years should be flattered instead of annoyed. You have the opportunity to help teach and share your work experience. Someone in this world thinks you are someone, and that what you have dedicated your life to has value and they wanna hear about it from you! Your on this thread because NOONE at tonight's dinner party or in the bar wants to hear you talk about fast set up time of your new semi-gloss. They don't care that you have to restrip a deck cuz you had a failure. Your rep does! A good rep can work with you just for the price of your paint. He can be a troubleshooter, generate leads and an overall ambassador for your company, giving your name out for jobs or just a "yes I know him, he has a great company" to a future customer. Agreed that not all reps are good and can do these things but thats life...I'm still looking for a trusted car mechanic lol

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
Good points. I'm just glad this thread isn't "What's something you've always wanted to say to your store's paint dept" because we're quite good at giving flack here :D

·
Banned
857 Posts
Truthfully, in my 8yrs being a rep I never met anyone who said "I've been dreaming of being a paint rep since I was a little boy". Most paint reps are young people trying to get a start in the working world. They are low paying jobs that don't offer a lot of great moments. It is a thankless job.
It's amazing how demanding you are. You act like you employee your SW sales rep.
But to walk into a SW store and patronize a sales rep, by giving him a lecturing speech, is disrespectful.
I totally understand and agree with you and your entire post.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
As a guy who has worn both pairs of shoes at different times over my 25yrs. Going from painter to painter rep & then back to painter I understand this topic completely. Truthfully, in my 8yrs being a rep I never met anyone who said "I've been dreaming of being a paint rep since I was a little boy". Most paint reps are young people trying to get a start in the working world. They are low paying jobs that don't offer a lot of great moments. It is a thankless job. Your performance is based on what you sold TODAY not that huge job you got last week and your customers only want you to be the cheapest price and be there for him when HE needs. When I was selling I would walk on job sites hoping to meet a potential customer only to get what I call the "stink eye". You know that look..it's that "who is this ahole". I agree most painters don't want to see their rep until there is a problem...have you ever thought about yourself and how comfortable you would be going to see only customer who have problems. Not a fun time for you and it doesn't build much of a relationship.
Why do new reps wanna come out to your job? Cause none of them have seen real painters work! They've heard about it in trainings and maybe seen video but all they know is what the company tells them. They usually have no field experience at all and if your gonna talk about anything but price on your next sales call you need to know something! You guys who have been painting in the field for years should be flattered instead of annoyed. You have the opportunity to help teach and share your work experience. Someone in this world thinks you are someone, and that what you have dedicated your life to has value and they wanna hear about it from you! Your on this thread because NOONE at tonight's dinner party or in the bar wants to hear you talk about fast set up time of your new semi-gloss. They don't care that you have to restrip a deck cuz you had a failure. Your rep does! A good rep can work with you just for the price of your paint. He can be a troubleshooter, generate leads and an overall ambassador for your company, giving your name out for jobs or just a "yes I know him, he has a great company" to a future customer. Agreed that not all reps are good and can do these things but thats life...I'm still looking for a trusted car mechanic lol
For about 3-4 years I was trying to get a job as a rep for Dulux here in Canada. I know the majority of the products they sell inside and out, am a ticketed painter and only got one bite, but they wanted me to move to the other side of the province IF I got the job. Instead they hire a Certa Pro estimator, or guys with little to no painting industry knowledge

·
Banned
857 Posts
For about 3-4 years I was trying to get a job as a rep for Dulux here in Canada. I know the majority of the products they sell inside and out, am a ticketed painter and only got one bite, but they wanted me to move to the other side of the province IF I got the job. Instead they hire a Certa Pro estimator, or guys with little to no painting industry knowledge
It doesn't matter. What they need is retail experience. Someone who knows how to zone, stock shelves, do inventory, and work a cash register.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
It doesn't matter. What they need is retail experience. Someone who knows how to zone, stock shelves, do inventory, and work a cash register.
Even with two store managers as a reference, and a referral from another rep? I think it was an age thing. I was between 25-28 at the times I applied for the jobs.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
yup, that's all they need.

Reactions: Gough

·
Registered
81 Posts
Amen

Honesty is hard to find with sales reps. There are a few left, old school.... good luck finding them. I think the big boys need a spankin'. Go for the smaller companies who know how to service customers and not "buy" market share and take paint business for granted. Do I need to mention names?

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Maybe it was because you had no cash register or shelf stocking experience!

Reactions: DrakeB
81 - 91 of 91 Posts