Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor, Christmas Light Installer
2,896 Posts
Years ago I stopped scheduling jobs until they had all colors decided. That way, they aren't feeling rushed, and all colors, brands, sheens, etc. were reduced to writing and included in the contract with a statement regarding potential charges in the event colors were changed after the contract was signed. If we don't have a signed contract, I can't start the work.

I have grown impatient when I've seen multiple customers dragging their feet though. I'll often contact them and let them know that jobs are piling up and I will take them on as contracts are signed after colors are finalized. That typically speeds up the process though, and it also keeps them from bitching at me for having to wait their turn if they did drag their feet.

· Registered
697 Posts
One thing my ex-boss was good at as part of his sell process was, while he did work with designers and stuff, he would really sit down with customers and try to figure out colors with them and honestly he was very good at picking out good color choices. But he integrated some amount of color consulting in with his bids and the selling process, and surprisingly it seemed to work out well for him. A lot of customers will use "I can't pick out colors" to drag their feet on a job for weeks or months or ultimately not take the bid, so him doing that from a salesmanship angle I think was very good.

I don't think I could really do it myself, due to not being that great at picking out colors and simply not being that great of a salesman compared to him, but it's one thing I did admire about him, his ability to do that with customers.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One thing my ex-boss was good at as part of his sell process was, while he did work with designers and stuff, he would really sit down with customers and try to figure out colors with them and honestly he was very good at picking out good color choices. But he integrated some amount of color consulting in with his bids and the selling process, and surprisingly it seemed to work out well for him. A lot of customers will use "I can't pick out colors" to drag their feet on a job for weeks or months or ultimately not take the bid, so him doing that from a salesmanship angle I think was very good.

I don't think I could really do it myself, due to not being that great at picking out colors and simply not being that great of a salesman compared to him, but it's one thing I did admire about him, his ability to do that with customers.
I do offer color consulate, I'm pretty good with the Benjamin Moore color schemes and work with designers as well. Some people just like to drag they're feet and try 10 samples 😆. The old start to prep trick does work as well. I'll usually give people a deadline for the colors and remind them we don't need all the colors just a couple to start. Alot of times they will pick a color easily for the not so important rooms to them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts