Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We work on a wide variety of sites, and about half the time it's either new construction with no water hooked up &/or disposal for dirty water, or high-end/fussy fussy clients who forbid cleaning paint items in their home.
The result is the eventual ruin of brushes (which we have to wrap in plastic & clean later); and either using plastic-lined buckets which as you know are not ideal or spending too much time cleaning caked-on buckets or throwing them out. All of the above is an environmentally crappy waste of water & worker time. Any thoughts/solutions?

·
Delco, Pa
1,176 Posts
Whenever I work for a client that doesn't want me cleaning my tools in their sink, I usually do it on their front lawn. Jk.
Seriously, I plastic everything up and wash it at my house. Its a PIA but before I bid the job, I ask if they have a utility sink to wash my tools. If they tell me they do but don't want me using it, I add it into the bill.

·
Paintist
719 Posts
I fill a five full with water and pour out a little at a time for minor cleaning and by the end of the day I soak my brushes and frames in the dirty water in another five during transport. Cutting cups are .70 cents- throw them out and same with pan liners. You can reuse them once or twice if you take a minute and spread them smooth and let them dry. I have a rotation of drying buckets and liners. But at the end of the day jobs like these should have produced enough profit that cheap things can be thrown out.

·
Paintist
719 Posts
I've even taken brushes back to my hotel (on out of town jobs) and cleaned them in the sink. Nothing like sneaking 4 purdys in a bag through the lobby of the Westin.

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
This goes to a recent thread about employees using their own brushes when working for paint contractors. Most contractors were posting that their employees were responsible for their own brushes. I disagree and this thread spells out why.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Good job planning depends on knowing what is available and self providing what is needed.

Take a couple of fives filled with water and put the cover on tight.

You could also save your own personal "waste water" :whistling2:

·
Administrator
20,265 Posts
I pee mine clean.:whistling2:

Reactions: Rick the painter

·
Registered
635 Posts
ah - the heady memories of strategically placing an empty can in a basement closet on n/c :whistling2:

·
Registered
7,235 Posts
I've cleaned at least one paint brush out in a toilet before. Worked ok. Clean water for a final rinse...just flush.

I don't remember when, where, or why... but I remember doing it, so I must have.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Hmmmn, the ol' toilet clean.... I m a sick person, and I never even thought of that. As for the other posts, I have definitely p'd in a bucket while hiding in the basement, used sink for a brush or two, cleaning up like the guilty guy that I am...
But the key to this issue was posted above by Scottjr, add it to the bill. 20 brushes, assorted trays, equipment (no talk of nap cleaning here...or employee brush buying/cleaning, although my employees have sinks of their own:whistling2:) this takes time, therefore, HO pays.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Fiver with trash bag liner, little detergent, water.

Place brushes and sleeves in the soapy water in the bag in the bucket, tie the top of the bag and place lid on the bucket. The sloshing/agitating action of the water on the way home helps make the brushes and sleeves easier to clean when you get home.

Closing the top of the bag may not be necessary, but buckets have been know to tilt over. Sudden breaking, sudden swerving to avoid accidents, etc,.

Actually, my vehicle is usually so packed w ith stuff, the bucket is normally pretty secure in its upright position.

P.S. THe bag helps keep the bucket clean

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.