Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Do you leave brush marks when you brush?

• Yes

Votes: 26 54.2%
  • No

Votes: 22 45.8%
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading another thread I was wondering how many painters here leave brush marks when they brush? How much do you care about brush marks?

Personally, I loathe brush marks. To me, brush marks look unprofessional and sloppy; so when I'm brushing I thin my paint a little bit so I don't get any brush marks especially on metal door frames or any trim for that matter. Over the years I've found myself putting on a 3rd finish coat to get the correct coverage, however even when I'm doing an extra coat of paint brushing I'm still a helluva lot faster than all our painters because it's easier to work with thinned paint.

Anyhoo, just wondering what all you guys are doing and what your thoughts are on the matter.

·
17,818 Posts
When you use a brush there will always be evidence of the fact. Thinning your material is a good way to reduce them and so is an additive to slow the drying process so the material can lay down closer to oil.

·
Shazaam!
859 Posts
When you use a brush there will always be evidence of the fact. Thinning your material is a good way to reduce them and so is an additive to slow the drying process so the material can lay down closer to oil.
That's why I voted yes. Let's keep it honest in here :jester:
I'd be referring more to frames and trim, not walls or ceilings.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you use a brush there will always be evidence of the fact.
I would've agreed with this 100% before I started using aura regularly.

One of the guys that works for me is an excellent painter with more experience than me, however I find myself nit-picking his work on a regular basis. I don't want to offend or put him down; he's bigger, more experienced and older than me so he often gives me the [email protected]#k-off-and-die-you-skrawny-little-know-it-all look when I try to bring to his attention that there's a better way to do things. However, about a month ago I noticed some metal door frames he had painted had an excessive amount of brush strokes. When I delicately demonstrated to him that a metal door frame can be painted just as quick and efficiently with a brush, sans brush marks he hemmed an hawed a little; "I painted it with a brush what do they expect?!?!", but lone behold, he's painted at least 30 door frames to perfection since then.

·
Painting & More
564 Posts
yes and no

Can we vote yes and no?

I can brush back in to my wet line on trim and brush marks lay down.

I just back-brushed wainscoting so there would be brush marks. By request, I recently brushed a steel front door so it would look like a hand-painted wood door.

·
Spider killer
728 Posts
The brush doesnt ascaird me as much as the roller .......argh aahhhh head through the wall?? oh no now I gotta plaster that...

There are many area's that a brush mark can occur. Also many variant on what to call a brush mark.
Rake effect- just way to much god damn paint fool
Useless backbrush- pay more attention stop listening to nirvana
crappy cut in- listen to me already when I tell you how to cut

Ya I wish I could go on and on too but its only about painting. But I think that sums it up. So when you ask me do I leave brush mark. I say wtf u talkin bout [email protected]#$ wheres my sandwich. ,,,,,,,,,I would have to say the crappy cut in category for me; crappy cut in refers to a area consisting of usually an inch from the ceiling and or baseboard the area in which is being cut,, it occurs from cutting in the wall when the major focus is on the quarter inch of the actually area being cut.Then after wards the area of 1.5 inch and or more is brushed in. What happens after the "brush in" some of the area is not fully painted...
. The only reason to have faint areas or this crappy cut in phenomena that I have exposed. is because you are going to do a second and expecting a second.. If you are a one coat kid then you best be covering all dat area wit paint or mommy aint gettin her six pack...

IM RICH BIATCH

·
Registered
22 Posts
The brush doesnt ascaird me as much as the roller .......argh aahhhh head through the wall?? oh no now I gotta plaster that...

There are many area's that a brush mark can occur. Also many variant on what to call a brush mark.
Rake effect- just way to much god damn paint fool
Useless backbrush- pay more attention stop listening to nirvana
crappy cut in- listen to me already when I tell you how to cut

Ya I wish I could go on and on too but its only about painting. But I think that sums it up. So when you ask me do I leave brush mark. I say wtf u talkin bout [email protected]#$ wheres my sandwich. ,,,,,,,,,I would have to say the crappy cut in category for me; crappy cut in refers to a area consisting of usually an inch from the ceiling and or baseboard the area in which is being cut,, it occurs from cutting in the wall when the major focus is on the quarter inch of the actually area being cut.Then after wards the area of 1.5 inch and or more is brushed in. What happens after the "brush in" some of the area is not fully painted...
. The only reason to have faint areas or this crappy cut in phenomena that I have exposed. is because you are going to do a second and expecting a second.. If you are a one coat kid then you best be covering all dat area wit paint or mommy aint gettin her six pack...

IM RICH BIATCH

Maybe open a window?!

1 - 20 of 58 Posts