Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
1/2 for most... Exterior 3/4 50/50.. I can't stand the stipple on anything bigger.. I use 3/8 for satin semi in bathrooms I think it gives its smooth finish.

Slick - love the Martha pic!

I bought like 500 50/50 sleeves from ICI then realized they shed like hell. I will never use a 50/50 again. Lambswool 1/2" - 1 1/2" or white dove 1/2"

·
Ohio Painting Contractor
275 Posts
Yah, might have been their 'contractor' series covers. Not near as high quality as the Woosters I use. Never had a shed problem with those, ever.

Yeah thats what we bought wooster 50/50 I dont like them for flat or nearly flat finishes sure, but id much rather use a lambswool 1/2" or 3/4" they are worth the money

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure if I am committing some painter's code of honor here but I had 10 interior panel doors to paint; decorator white (BM) and tried one of those 6" foam rollers. I did brush the inner panels but rolled everything else; came out very nice! With flotral added, it looks like glass now. I averaged 12 minutes per door side first coat. Your thoughts??
e

·
17,887 Posts
Not sure if I am committing some painter's code of honor here but I had 10 interior panel doors to paint; decorator white (BM) and tried one of those 6" foam rollers. I did brush the inner panels but rolled everything else; came out very nice! With flotral added, it looks like glass now. I averaged 12 minutes per door side first coat. Your thoughts??
e[/quote/]
You should be able to brush out a door and jamb in less then 20 minutes. Just my thoughts;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love to use my 18" roller on the walls here. I just wish I could find a 1 1/4" lambswool cover. It gets a little bit heavy at the end of the day, but for rolling the walls, it just get the job done so much more quickly than a 9".

·
Registered
558 Posts
It all depends on the job. Flat walls on some jobs get the 3/4 or 1/2 lambswool. The good ones, not the cheap ones. They leave a big stipple, but you can reduce it to almost a 50/50 stipple by rolling it out a little more.

All sleeves (except lambswool) get rolled in masking tape to remove any fuzz.

Plaster or other super smooth walls get the 50/50 3/8 or even 1/4.

I'm still experimenting with textured interior walls. Thinking they should invent a 1/2" mohair sleeve for textured walls.

I like to brush doors, but sometimes I can't so I use either a 1/4 mohair mini or a mini with the white dove type sleeve.

·
Registered
14 Posts
9 inch 3/4 50/50 Wooster for just about every thing here to.
Sometimes wool depending on my mood.
1/2 inch wool for them heavy 18's. And boy can i put some paint on the wall with one of them suckers. But they sure make my back hurt by the end of the day.
And as for my alcohol level, well I'm 3/4's of the way there to. And its raining out side. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
I started using a 1/2" on my 14" roller - and the woman didn't like the stipple! It was actually because she had this lighting that showed up the walls too much. Had to go back and use a 3/8" roller - they are so slow going, especially when brand new. But then again - I was my rollers out with a pressure washer and get them really clean - and they behave more like larger naps - and I love it that way.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.