Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my screen name suggests, I'm in Miami. Miami Beach to be specific.

A 32 unit condominium on Miami Beach is flirting with the idea of painting the building white with light grey trim.

This color combination is all the rage in Miami Beach among the super luxury buildings and I have to admit, that most buildings painted white/gray or white/light blue look clean, modern and "expensive".

The building is about 1000 feet from the ocean on one side and 1000 feet from the bay on the other. There is salt air and sun on it pretty much 24/7. It's about the most challenging environment for paint I can think of besides the desert.

One argument against white is that it will look good for about a month, then soot from cars will make the lower parts of the building look dingy.

What arguments do you guys think there can be for or against using something like BM Brilliant White, for example?

I need to advise the owners at a meeting why white is good or why it's a bad idea. Everyone LIKES the idea of white, from a design point of view.

But many have doubts it will be able to stay clean for the 7 years it will be up. This is a question I have dealt with in other buildings on the beach as well. Everyone wants white, but it has always ended up being something else.

I would like to be able to speak intelligently to the owners about what they can expect if they choose to go with white paint.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Here are a couple of ideas that come to mind:

1. White reflects heat, potentially reducing heat loads on the interior. (Just a theory)

2. UV breakdown, i.e. chalking, will be less apparent with white verses darker colors

3. Aesthetics is important to maintaining the value of the location. If white supports a particular aesthetic trend, then white should be considered if raising the value of the property is a priority.

4. White may be cheaper than other colors, and more available for touch up if necessary

5. Soot concerns can be addressed with scheduled pressure washes every couple of years

6. White can be upgraded by simply changing the trim color if trends lean away from gray

7. White makes a perfect canvas for graffiti....wait, that's for the con list.

·
Banned
177 Posts
As my screen name suggests, I'm in Miami. Miami Beach to be specific.

A 32 unit condominium on Miami Beach is flirting with the idea of painting the building white with light grey trim.

This color combination is all the rage in Miami Beach among the super luxury buildings and I have to admit, that most buildings painted white/gray or white/light blue look clean, modern and "expensive".

The building is about 1000 feet from the ocean on one side and 1000 feet from the bay on the other. There is salt air and sun on it pretty much 24/7. It's about the most challenging environment for paint I can think of besides the desert.

One argument against white is that it will look good for about a month, then soot from cars will make the lower parts of the building look dingy.

What arguments do you guys think there can be for or against using something like BM Brilliant White, for example?

I need to advise the owners at a meeting why white is good or why it's a bad idea. Everyone LIKES the idea of white, from a design point of view.

But many have doubts it will be able to stay clean for the 7 years it will be up. This is a question I have dealt with in other buildings on the beach as well. Everyone wants white, but it has always ended up being something else.

I wouldn't like to be able to speak intelligently to the owners about what they can expect if they choose to go with white paint.
Let's be brutally honest here.
From painters point of view if the customer chooses white and the building get's dirty in several years and needs repaint.
More work for painters.
I wouldn't go out of my way (or at all) to express my opinion on the color.
Let them choose. You (if you are a painter posting this) you just apply it ....and collect your payment.
Easy peasy.

·
Banned
878 Posts
White is not cheaper. Titanium dioxide is the most expensive pigment, making white paints the most expensive.

That being said, I've never heard of a paint store charging different prices for different colours.

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
White is not cheaper. Titanium dioxide is the most expensive pigment, making white paints the most expensive.

That being said, I've never heard of a paint store charging different prices for different colours.
Hence "May".

Interesting quick search revealed a five of Home Depot BEHR Premium Ultra White is bout $30.00 less than a five of Premium Cordovan Brown.

·
Banned
878 Posts

Hence "May".

Interesting quick search revealed a five of Home Depot BEHR Premium Ultra White is bout $30.00 less than a five of Premium Cordovan Brown.

Home Depot doesn't count, don't even try that 😛

If you buy a gallon of Aura, they don't charge you extra to tint it, nor do you get a discount for taking the factory white. No paint store does that.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
Maybe go with something more like a Ballet White. Not so bright.. It will still look white up against grey trim. And maybe not dead Flat so it can be more easily washed.. Oh and some pink flamingos on the lawn?

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
Home Depot doesn't count, don't even try that 😛

If you buy a gallon of Aura, they don't charge you extra to tint it, nor do you get a discount for taking the factory white. No paint store does that.
OK. White's not cheaper. But five out of six points in favor of going with white isn't a bad start

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,236 Posts
Maybe go with something more like a Ballet White. Not so bright.. It will still look white up against grey trim. And maybe not dead Flat so it can be more easily washed.. Oh and some pink flamingos on the lawn?
Post reported.
Ummm. Did I say something to offend you? Are Pink Flamingos now politically incorrect or something?.

·
Super Moderator
7,054 Posts
Ummm. Did I say something to offend you? Are Pink Flamingos now politically incorrect or something?.
Everything is now politically incorrect.

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts