Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard it said once that “we are the sum total of our life’s experiences”. In other words, what we do and what we say shapes who we are. Why should we consider this as painters and decorators?

Sometimes negative events take place in our lives, the way we react to these events shapes who we are. If we approach a contract looking for ways to cut corners and do a cheap job or rip off the customer then what does that say about the person we are? If we get angry at our staff yelling at them and being abusive what does that say about us?

If we approach each day contemplating how we can deal with the challenges that come our way, we will be better prepared for how to handle such events in a way that define us as better people.

In times of economic hardship their may be temptation to be less then honest to make a few extra dollars. We should avoid falling into this trap, as it will amount to the sum total of which we are and what we have become.

No matter how hard things get or how difficult a client becomes we can always take pride in being a dignified person and a person of integrity because that is “WHO WE ARE!”

·
Banned
15,692 Posts
"Fear is that darkroom where negatives are developed"-Michael Pritchard.

Even though I like the above quote, I still think having the experience of fear and negativity, without it completely consuming us, gives us a better understanding and appreciation for the positive.

·
Banned
5,000 Posts
"Fear is that darkroom where negatives are developed"-Michael Pritchard.

Even though I like the above quote, I still think having the experience of fear and negativity, without it completely consuming us, gives us a better understanding and appreciation for the positive.

after reading your post I immediately though of ''Congenital insensitivity to pain with anhidrosis'' CIPA for short but applied it on a broader level ......imagine life without pain in all senses not just the physical like I stated above

·
Registered
295 Posts
pacificpainters.com said:
I heard it said once that “we are the sum total of our life’s experiences”. In other words, what we do and what we say shapes who we are. Why should we consider this as painters and decorators?

Sometimes negative events take place in our lives, the way we react to these events shapes who we are. If we approach a contract looking for ways to cut corners and do a cheap job or rip off the customer then what does that say about the person we are? If we get angry at our staff yelling at them and being abusive what does that say about us?

If we approach each day contemplating how we can deal with the challenges that come our way, we will be better prepared for how to handle such events in a way that define us as better people.

In times of economic hardship their may be temptation to be less then honest to make a few extra dollars. We should avoid falling into this trap, as it will amount to the sum total of which we are and what we have become.

No matter how hard things get or how difficult a client becomes we can always take pride in being a dignified person and a person of integrity because that is “WHO WE ARE!”
Thanks for posting this man I needed to read this and calm myself( see my new thread)

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Good post Michael,

And the good thing is that if we want to change, we can shape who we are by changing our approach and reactions.

Many years ago on different internet forums, I intentionally tried different "attitudes". Lo and behold those attitudes I CHOOSE shaped who I was.

If one "acts" a certain way, in time it becomes the reality.

·
Almost Gone
10,730 Posts
Good post Michael,

And the good thing is that if we want to change, we can shape who we are by changing our approach and reactions.

Many years ago on different internet forums, I intentionally tried different "attitudes". Lo and behold those attitudes I CHOOSE shaped who I was.

Proverbs 23:7
7 For as he athinketh in his bheart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.

·
Administrator
21,728 Posts
For me my current sig says it best. I've gone the pessimist route and it's a pretty miserable existence.

Reactions: pacificpainters.com

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good post Michael,

Too true Bill.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My Dad was the absolute most honest person I've ever known, and he lived a very hard life because of it.[/QUOTE

My old man too. He taught me good values and it is amazing how much I am like my dad. I find myself being too much of a nice guy with people like he was.

·
Registered
663 Posts
uuummmmm.

it is not my time to go philosophical. today, I want to skim the surface and take a break.

but I love these kinds of thoughts.

it is nice to read and share with others, and read what others share. feelings, thoughts, insecurities, quotes, all of it , really.

·
Registered
663 Posts
this is what " I did" today.

We had storms yesterday. I spent a few minutes this morning replacing a weathervane back on the roof from an exterior project. I stripped it back to its natural beauty...maybe a blue-ish copper. I will try to post photos eventually.

I took one of my tool bags out of the truck and placed it on the bumper. Got a screwdriver to mount the bird, and proceeded to drive off, forgetting to replace the bag into the truck.

Lost the bag with tools like: tape measure, level, chain, hammer, nail set, bag of Jolly Rancher candies, favorite duster brush, wire brush, miscellaneous bits to my screwdriver...about 10 different bits, maybe other stuff that I can't recall at this moment.

I doubled back after about one mile down the road, but the bag was no where to be seen-so someone scored.

I have not done that before.

wanted to clarify what "i do";)

·
P&D Trainer & Assessor
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this is what " I did" today.

Lost the bag with tools... I doubled back after about one mile down the road, but the bag was no where to be seen-so someone scored.
That would have been a cool story if you doubled back and this guy rang you on your phone saying he found your number on one of the tools and he has the bag in good condition waiting for you to come and pick it up.

Sometimes that happens, and if we are the person that returns the tools, what does that say of "who we are".

·
Registered
663 Posts
I did not have my name anywhere on the bag.

Once in the past many years ago, back in the day of pay phones......I saw a bank bag inside the phone area.

This must have been in the early 90's because I was painting apartment turn overs.....and literally out on a break.

I was happy to recover lots of cash and some checks.

I wanted to use the money, but that was no way gonna happen.

Some of the checks were written to the Pizza place and I think from memory-he must have stopped to call looking for the delivery place, of another order.

I was very happy to do the right thing and return it.

nice post fuji man! I bet you make a fun, informative and lively teacher (note to your wife-that I am not flirting)
but note that I have looked to inquire if you were married-haha

1 - 20 of 26 Posts