Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of the most successful and profitable contracting companies have less than 5 employees. If you were to hire 3-5 full time employees to run your business what positions would they fill and why? Book Keeper, estimator, field supervisor, general manager, etc..

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
The owner should be the general manager and estimator IMO. I think a good (small) crew would consist of a crew leader with a well rounded background (and preferrably some college) and plenty of experience, a couple of good all-around painters, a specialty guy for staining, faux, wallpaper etc, and at least one prep guy.

The most important thing a painting company needs is the right guy at the helm. Pretty hard to make it without a really good crew chief.

You shouldn't need a full time book-keeper unless you're running a big crew.

JMO of course.

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking more along the line of office personnel, and using subs to due the work. You the owner would oversee the big picture but have a select few do the daily business related task.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
Some of the most successful and profitable contracting companies have less than 5 employees. If you were to hire 3-5 full time employees to run your business what positions would they fill and why? Book Keeper, estimator, field supervisor, general manager, etc..
Too answer the OP, I would rather hire a consultant for the areas in which I am weak. We currently do have a consultant. If money were no object, I would hire a aggressive estimator, one that has a network either with the wealthy or the large contracting jobs.

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
I am the CEO. I avoid visiting job sites.
There is a full time Office Manager, does QB as well Monday to Friday 9-5.
There is a part time weekend Office person/marketing person
We have a full time Operations Manager.
I do Sales, (I don't like it. I will get my replacement maybe in a year).
3-4 job managers, some will be running more than one site

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
"Some of the most successful and profitable contracting companies have less than 5 employees."

I don't know where you got that info from or what you're gauging it against.

Retired has the best answer...hire more painters...period.

·
Banned
14,174 Posts
I dissagree, you can hire more painters but if you don't have the skill or network to produce more work, those painters will be standing around at the local cafe. I could hire 10 great painters right now, what good will that do me? I'd just go broke.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
"Some of the most successful and profitable contracting companies have less than 5 employees."

I don't know where you got that info from or what you're gauging it against.

This could be true....depending on your definition of success and profitibility.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
I dissagree, you can hire more painters but if you don't have the skill or network to produce more work, those painters will be standing around at the local cafe. I could hire 10 great painters right now, what good will that do me? I'd just go broke.
Sorry about that...I didn't notice the word "run".

I saw the word "successful" and jumped the gun. Of course, I'd hire the people who could fill the needs. Definitely an estimator/salesman, office manager and supervision...aaron said it right...

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
Seriously,
I don't think the question was about who would do the painting,
whether subs or painters.
I think it was an org. chart type of question.
If that is the case hiring more painters to answer the phone
or painters to do bookkeeping is not necessarily the answer
he is looking for.
But maybe he can clarify for us again.

Slow typist here. My post is redundant.
Harry, Aaron etc covered it

·
Banned
503 Posts
Seriously,
I don't think the question was about who would do the painting,
whether subs or painters.
I think it was an org. chart type of question.
If that is the case hiring more painters to answer the phone
or painters to do bookkeeping is not necessarily the answer
he is looking for.
But maybe he can clarify for us again.

Slow typist here. My post is redundant.
Harry, Aaron etc covered it
When you guys get there let me know and I will put you in touch with my Saville Row tailor and my old chauffer who is looking for work.

As far as painters and phones went. A guys wife better be 8 months and about 28 days along or that phone better be at home.

Once and only once a guys wife called on his cell to tell him the neighbors dog had taken a dump in their yard. We were trying to eat lunch.

Just for grins, how much a month of gross business would a company have to generate to support all this weight?

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
When you guys get there let me know and I will put you in touch with my Saville Row tailor and my old chauffer who is looking for work.

As far as painters and phones went. A guys wife better be 8 months and about 28 days along or that phone better be at home.

Once and only once a guys wife called on his cell to tell him the neighbors dog had taken a dump in their yard. We were trying to eat lunch.

Just for grins, how much a month of gross business would a company have to generate to support all this weight?
Sorry, I don't understand what are you talking about.
I tried but I don't.
Can you explain?

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for everyone responses. The question is geared towards who would run your business so that the business could run on minimal staff without having any painters working directly for the company. Sub out all of the work, so that you keep employee/equipment overhead to a minimum. Harry, as to your question about the most profitable and successful companies, I should have clarified better. Those companies are GC's, my question is figuring a painting company running like one of the GC companies.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Office person that handles calls and does bookwork
Ops manager for day-to-day field work and QC

The rest an owner can handle.

·
Estimator/Instructor
1,004 Posts
Thanks for everyone responses. The question is geared towards who would run your business so that the business could run on minimal staff without having any painters working directly for the company. Sub out all of the work, so that you keep employee/equipment overhead to a minimum. Harry, as to your question about the most profitable and successful companies, I should have clarified better. Those companies are GC's, my question is figuring a painting company running like one of the GC companies.
GC's aren't always as profitable as you think. My brother is a GC and I wouldn't want his headaches, are you kidding me?

Also, when problems arise and help is paid...there can be messes...you'd have to be there.

Their profit margins are as minimal or more minimal as yours right now...

But back to the subbing. It's a no brainer for painting as long as you retain enough monies for "just in case" sake.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts