Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

Newb to this forum. I searched other threads, but no comprehensive answers that I came across. Apologies in advance if I am flogging the pony, again....

Here is the setup: Getaway cabin in the Pac Northwest. Vertical channel rough-cedar siding with T&G fir soffits. House has not been stained in at least 10yrs, but I am guessing it is more like 15. The siding is actually in really good shape however. No rot, some algae, minimal black mold. Most of the mold is on the soffits.

My plan of attack is to apply cleaner, scrub with brush, rinse. Apply a mildicide, scrub, rinse. If I can find an appropriate cleaner with mildicide great. I'm leaning towards the Storm products.

And then, what to put on top? The old stain is a semi-transparent in what was likely a redwood tone. Owners want another semi in a slightly darker tone.

So.........which product? Guessing the old stain is oil-based. With the new waterborne products, could I go over the top of the old stuff, or just stick with oil? Which products do folks swear by? I'm looking into the TWP 100, Arborcoat, or Cabots waterborne. Thoughts?

What process would you all use start to finish, and what product, either oil or waterborne! I will probably be applying with garden sprayer and back brushing either way.

TIA for the input!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
After doing your thorough cleaning I would use a wood brighter such as Oxylic acid, etc.

I do believe with the time of the last coating most of the oil properties/components/etc that gives it is protective properties have worn away so using an acrylic stain should be fine. I would however to coat with something like a UV5 oil for extra protection

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply @journeyman. Good call on the UV5. I have used the Sikkens 3part process before, and was wondering if a waterborne process was out there. I think the Storm product will also brighten wood, similar to oxalyic acid.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
A good strong bleach mix mixed with a little stripper will kill two birds with one stone.. kill the mold and strip off very old stain if its of the semi trans variety. No acid step needed if you rinse well.

Let it dry. Buff with Osborne brush and apply a penetrating oil like Armstrong Clark. It will look like new construction and be very easy to maintain. I'm not a fan of film forming finishes/waterbornes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah @PressurePros, I am somewhat leery of the waterborne, but the HO is in favor. When you say an Osborne brush, are you talking about a wire cup brush for a drill? I've bought all different kinds of brushes from Osborn over the years. Just checking.

·
Registered
11,338 Posts
Thanks for the reply @journeyman. Good call on the UV5. I have used the Sikkens 3part process before, and was wondering if a waterborne process was out there. I think the Storm product will also brighten wood, similar to oxalyic acid.
Uh, use the Storm stain and be done with it.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update:
Plan is to clean, strip, buff, then apply Sikkens log and siding stain. Any reason not to?
-Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts