Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have never used Aura. Read on PT about how great it is. High end client wants highly durable flat/matte walls. So I suggest Aura. Talk with BM rep and he starts telling about how Aura is great but make sure you use some extender (but not too much). Make sure the cut in is fully dry before you roll. If rolling watch for ropes. If you miss a spot wait for next coat or you'll jack what you already painted because it dries so fast.

We almost always paint prime coat + two finish coats on walls using ProMAR 200 Zero. I don't have to worry about any of the above stuff.

I'm not saying Aura isn't great. I don't know yet. But it seems finicky. Is it worth it?

Thank You.

·
Flog a Mocker
1,493 Posts
You won't need a 3rd coat for the Aura so in time and material you are already ahead of the game. You don't need the extender (first time using it maybe just for doors) Let your cut in dry before you roll. Then go back and teach your rep how to paint.

Excellent product. Very washable and durable. Great color saturation and coverage. Truly self priming, and can even prime drywall but makes for a very expensive primer. 1 coat primer + 1 coat finish or 2 coats finish.

·
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
4,508 Posts
Like I said before don't believe everything you read on the web.

I'm a fan of using primer, if its new drywall you can get PVA primer for around $8 per gallon. Zinsser Primecoat 2 is another great option for around $15.

Is my experience that most paints from BM will dry faster than some years ago due to changes from glycol to waterborne colorants.

Please come back and tell us about your experience with Aura.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Because unlike the crap from the Big Box stores, Aura is paint AND primer :whistling2:

·
Registered
29 Posts
The only reason and the only time why I love Aura as a painter is because it can be sanded, so when i have a bathroom where the wall have +layers of thick old paint i apply aura then sand medium to fine grid paper then apply the second coat with my velour roller cover. Will look like it was 1st time painted on the new walls. And yes when rolling you have to make sure the cuts are either really wet or completely dry, otherwise you just destroyed the walls.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The only reason and the only time why I love Aura as a painter is because it can be sanded, so when i have a bathroom where the wall have +layers of thick old paint i apply aura then sand medium to fine grid paper then apply the second coat with my velour roller cover. Will look like it was 1st time painted on the new walls. And yes when rolling you have to make sure the cuts are either really wet or completely dry, otherwise you just destroyed the walls.
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever:no:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Imo,Aura is all hype,geared to the "weekend warriors"who decide to paint a room on their own.I've used it a few times,honestly see no difference in it than the Regal grade,other than the price that is.Even my BM guy says to save my money and get the regal instead...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I have two things to say about Aura Matte. First, it's the most durable matte finish paint available. Second, matte finishes are not durable. As for the application issues that people seem to have, if you really know how to paint then applying Aura shouldn't be a problem. I mean, who doesn't wait for the cut-ins to dry before rolling? That only worked with vinyl-acrylics which are long gone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
matt19422 said:
That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever:no:
Well, you know there are primers that can be sanded right? For example, BIN -shellac base Primer can be can be sanded or requires sanding if you are using it for cabinets, it makes the surface very smooth, same with the Aura, try sanding after 1st coat of Aura you then What im talking about will make sense.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Well, you know there are primers that can be sanded right? For example, BIN -shellac base Primer can be can be sanded or requires sanding if you are using it for cabinets, it makes the surface very smooth, same with the Aura, try sanding after 1st coat of Aura you then What im talking about will make sense.
Why would I sand Aura? I put 2 coats on properly prepped surfaces so I would not need to ever sand it.

Maybe you are wasting your time and money sanding a $70.00 a gallon 1st coat?

·
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe
4,508 Posts
Imo,Aura is all hype,geared to the "weekend warriors"who decide to paint a room on their own.I've used it a few times,honestly see no difference in it than the Regal grade,other than the price that is.Even my BM guy says to save my money and get the regal instead...
That is the stupidest thing I ever heard. Most people that have decided to do some painting on their own get Behr Paint and Primer in One since the product was target to them, aside from Homedepot being open all weekend while most BM dealers close Saturday at noon.

·
Super Moderator
9,503 Posts
Ironically, we switched from Aura to regal select and are now transitioning back to Aura for interior walls,

·
Registered
29 Posts
matt19422 said:
Why would I sand Aura? I put 2 coats on properly prepped surfaces so I would not need to ever sand it.

Maybe you are wasting your time and money sanding a $70.00 a gallon 1st coat?
I agree, I didnt say I sand it every time when I use it. Let me ask you this, if you had project with walls requiring a skim coat of spackling because of the very rough surface, which than needs to be sanded primed and painted 2 coats. OR you an option you do no spackling but use Aura for the first coat and sand the walls than apply another coat where the finish is the same result, which one would you choose?

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Carl said:
I have two things to say about Aura Matte. First, it's the most durable matte finish paint available. Second, matte finishes are not durable. As for the application issues that people seem to have, if you really know how to paint then applying Aura shouldn't be a problem. I mean, who doesn't wait for the cut-ins to dry before rolling? That only worked with vinyl-acrylics which are long gone.
FYI, ultra spec 500 is a vinyl acrylic. So they're not quite long gone yet.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts