Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sprayed and refinished an entertainment system furniture for a customer. This woman wants a sealer applied. This was never discussed between her and myself when the initial methodology of how the paint project would go. Do you guys think applying a water polyurethane on top of a satin finish white paint, would make it turn yellow?

·
Registered
371 Posts
I would bet since it's water-based you're okay. Or if it did yellow, you could tell the customer it would be less of a yellowing a factor then if you were to use an oil-based poly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would bet since it's water-based you're okay. Or if it did yellow, you could tell the customer it would be less of a yellowing a factor then if you were to use an oil-based poly.
I read that polyacrylic would be my best option. I have never used it before. Can a lambs wool sleeve be used for application?

·
Registered
30 Posts
First explain to your customer that the finish is more durable than the clear sealer.

Next if she insists use polycrylic. It will not yellow.

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,229 Posts
First explain to your customer that the finish is more durable than the clear sealer.

Next if she insists use polycrylic. It will not yellow.
I'm pretty certain adding a clear over your paint adds waaay more durability. Most water based clears won\t yellow. Whatever you do, Don't use an oil or even a hybrid. I'd use Varathane before polycrylic.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I used Polycrylic over black paint. Had to use gloss. The dulling agents in satin finsh made the black finish look gray. Of course, yellowing is not an issue over black. I don't know what the dulling agents will do to the white finish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts