Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New stuff is way too shiny in a pearl. If not, will have to switch to something else and that's a shame because it is a good paint to work with. I just don't like how the pearl is now almost a semi gloss.

Have they started bringing it back in the U.S?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Keep dreaming.
Benjamin Moore is busy spending millions of dollars redesigning and changing labels, making them look stupid and ugly.
Bringing gallon of BM paint with some of the new labels to customer's home feels like you're bringing cheap paint from Walmart.
There was nothing at all wrong with the old labels.

Why Benjamin Moore felt that they need to waste money on changing labels instead of investing money to improve their products, is beyond me.
BM should spend money the get rid of the black plastic lids on black plastic gallon cans that are responsible for paint developing "skins" inside of the can.
There are other brands of paints that use metal lids on their black plastic cans and I never experienced "skinning" of their paints.
I told the BM store that I will buy different brand of paint if particular paint BM is selling comes with plastic lids.
Now you have to strain some of their paints, otherwise you will get garbage on your walls.

Yes, yes, I know, some of you will say, but you should be straining all your paint.
No, you don't have to waste your time to do that.
When spraying yes, but not when brushing and rolling.
I used hundreds of gallons of other paint brand (that comes in plastic cans with metal lids) and never once had skins inside of the can.
BM sucks with their plastic lids.
Spend your money there BM, or if you're redesigning your labels hire an intelligent graphic designer who can design really nice confidence projecting labels, not this stupid looking crap, like you did it now.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep dreaming.
Benjamin Moore is busy spending millions of dollars redesigning and changing labels, making them look stupid and ugly.
Bringing gallon of BM paint with some of the new labels to customer's home feels like you're bringing cheap paint from Walmart.

Why Benjamin Moore felt that they need to waste money on changing labels instead of investing money to improve their products, is beyond me.
BM should spend money the get rid of the black plastic lids on black plastic gallon cans that are responsible for paint developing "skins" inside of the can.
There are other brands of paints that use metal lids on their black plastic cans and I never experienced "skinning" of their paints.
I told the BM store that I will buy different brand of paint if particular paint BM is selling comes with plastic lids.
Now you have to strain some of their paints, otherwise you will get garbage on your walls.

Yes, yes, I know, some of you will say, but you should be straining all your paint.
I used hundreds of gallons of other paint brand (that comes in plastic cans with metal lids) and never once had skins inside of the can.
Spend your money there BM, or if you're redesigning your labels hire an intelligent graphic designer who can design really nice confidence projecting labels, not this stupid looking crap, like you did it now.
Finally someone who understands my pain. Their paint is very dirty all the time. Costs me time and money. Coming to a point where I will be using cloverdale exclusively.

I just wish they'd bring back old advanced formula and I'll be happy. The shinier version is a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
PPG & BM Dealer
24 Posts
New stuff is way too shiny in a pearl. If not, will have to switch to something else and that's a shame because it is a good paint to work with. I just don't like how the pearl is now almost a semi gloss.

Have they started bringing it back in the U.S?
I haven't noticed any change in the sheen. Maybe they had two different formulas with different sheens for the US and Canadian markets and consolidated them? Edit: Just saw what @finishesbykevyn said

Keep dreaming.
Because PPG did it a few years ago (half-joking). I especially like the old Regal Select labels. The new Aura Bath & Spa labels are one of the new labels I think actually look very good.

All the gallons Ive ever bought at BM are all metal.
They switched some of their lower volume products over to all-plastic cans to save the all-metal cans for the more popular products during the metal shortage. They told us this was only supposed to be temporary, but we are still receiving a lot of products in all-plastic cans.

·
Registered
217 Posts
In regards to reformulations of BM paints, they say at the paint store that the Ben line is no longer zero voc's and they think it is reformulated.
I have not used the Advance line lately, but i think the new Advance label looks generic, terrible.
Today I worked with Ultra Spec and it is now in a plastic can.
Over the summer I had a run of BM ceiling paint, ultra flat, out of plastic cans with alot of coagulated paint solids in it, was horrible picking it out while rolling ceilings. Was guessing it was the plastic cans, never had that with many years of Super Hide out of regular metal cans.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny, I use Advance all the time and I haven't noticed anything different. I like the new lable. 🤷‍♀️
I use advanced lots and it is 100% different. They removed a chemical that was used to remove some sheen. Not even an opinion but it's a fact and I'm just hoping they put that chemical back. Safety sheets confirm the change.

·
Registered
PPG & BM Dealer
24 Posts
In regards to reformulations of BM paints, they say at the paint store that the Ben line is no longer zero voc's and they think it is reformulated.
They did reformulate Ben, but they were pretty explicit about saying they did. The new formula was even given new product codes (begins with the letter 'N' instead of 'W') and has been the only formula available in the new labels. The new formula is still 0 VOC.

·
Monarchski
312 Posts
Keep dreaming.

I'm not crazy about the plastic lids either but I like some of the new labels. The Ultra Spec and new Ben label look nice to me. Not sure on the Advance, that pink band for the satin sheen is a little hard on the eyes. I've heard there's a new Super Hide label coming out and some needed changes coming to that line. I like the new labels for the old SK5000 hybrid now being called Door & Trim.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've noticed the sheen change a little. I just sprayed a whole home with Advance Satin (trim & doors), and noticed that it was really glossy. Haven't done the cabinets yet, but I compared the TDS of Advance Satin with my other favorite cabinet paint (PPG Breakthrough v250).

Sheen Level of PPG Breakthrough: 20-30
Sheen Level of Advance: 25-35
🤷🏻‍♂️

Maybe Advance's new formula just takes awhile to settle, harden, and mellow out. I'll tell you though, Advance settles SUPER smooth... I love brushing it on trim repaints. I might try and drop down to Advance Eggshell if it's available and see how that looks.
Funny, I use Advance all the time and I haven't noticed anything different. I like the new lable. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use advanced lots and it is 100% different. They removed a chemical that was used to remove some sheen. Not even an opinion but it's a fact and I'm just hoping they put that chemical back. Safety sheets confirm the change.
Do they offer Advance in Eggshell? Mught be a dumb question, but have you tried Advance Matte? Maybe that comes out like old Advance Satin 😂

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
4,113 Posts
I've noticed the sheen change a little. I just sprayed a whole home with Advance Satin (trim & doors), and noticed that it was really glossy. Haven't done the cabinets yet, but I compared the TDS of Advance Satin with my other favorite cabinet paint (PPG Breakthrough v250).

Sheen Level of PPG Breakthrough: 20-30
Sheen Level of Advance: 25-35
🤷🏻‍♂️.

Maybe Advance's new formula just takes awhile to settle, harden, and mellow out. I'll tell you though, Advance settles SUPER smooth... I love brushing it on trim repaints. I might try and drop down to Advance Eggshell if it's available and see how that looks.
Advance is actually a Pearl and has always been a 25-35 sheen. A bit shinier than breakthrough and much shinier than Command. It doesn't come in eggshell unfortunately and I wouldn't recommend the matt on cabinets. Although I have yet to try the matt on walls, I bet it would be fantastic. Especially in a stairwell where you need open time..

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Advance is actually a Pearl and has always been a 25-35 sheen. A bit shinier than breakthrough and much shinier than Command. It doesn't come in eggshell unfortunately and I wouldn't recommend the matt on cabinets. Although I have yet to try the matt on walls, I bet it would be fantastic. Especially in a stairwell where you need open time..
"Pearl"is a BM-specific name.

According to MPI, 20-35 units at 60 degrees (or 35 units at 85) is a traditional Satin. Just mentioning this for the sake of clarity. MPI has been consistent in trying to standardize sheen rating across brands.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts