Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of years back I bought a paintbrush from Wise Owl Paint and they have been bombarding me with emails ever since.

The most recent related to their "ceramic paint". They make claims to extreme durability using "3M ceramic microsphere technology".

I never hear anything about Wise Owl paints. They are priced out like a super-premium product. Any thoughts on their products?

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
Never heard of them, but seem to be a botique item. Manufactured by O'Leary Paints out of Lansing, MI. There was no VOC listed on the SDS, and no PDS available. See new BEHR products for ceramic products that are similar. Getting products like these to look good is usually the hard part, along with limited colors and sheens.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does it really enhance the durability if the product? They are only offering one sheen.

I bought one of their round paintbrushes, but I never got the hang of using it. It is listed as "self-cleaning".

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Does it really enhance the durability if the product? They are only offering one sheen.

I bought one of their round paintbrushes, but I never got the hang of using it. It is listed as "self-cleaning".

Ceramic reinforced coatings are pretty tenacious as I recently discovered when trying to remove a ceramic reinforced clear coat via mechanical sanding. Conventional abrasives wouldn’t cut it, barely scratching the surface before sanding discs wore out.

I had to resort to Blaze P40 ceramic abrasives w/Rotex in rotary mode to break through the film, and I’m only getting about 5 sq ft per 6 inch disc before the abrasives wear out.

Diamond abrasives would have been a better option but couldn’t find 6” Velcro backed discs in the appropriate grit.

Toughest finish I’ve ever encountered..

Image.jpeg

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
I tried an Owl brush b4 Covid...wasn't anything special imo...new one might be different.
Haven't tried there paint.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
A couple of years back I bought a paintbrush from Wise Owl Paint and they have been bombarding me with emails ever since.

The most recent related to their "ceramic paint". They make claims to extreme durability using "3M ceramic microsphere technology".

I never hear anything about Wise Owl paints. They are priced out like a super-premium product. Any thoughts on their products?
i believe it was Graham Paint or Premier Paint that started formulating paint with ceramic spheres about 20 years ago or more and touted it as being extremely durable and washable in a flatter finish. It is actually what started Benjamin Moore’s regal Matt. My understanding is that it wasn’t the spheres that allowed for stain release but it was actually the resin used to secure them together.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd love to see a self cleaning brush.
The ferrule is stainless steel and the handle is made from resin (plastic). The bristles are synthetic. So immersion in water for an extended time is not an issue.

The instructions were to rinse it well then hang it in a container of water so that the brush is immersed but the bristles are not touching the bottom.

I cleaned the brush well after using acrylic wall paint and suspended it in a bottle of water using a squeeze clamp around the handle to keep the bristles from touching the bottom.

The following day I examined the bottle and paint residue had accumulated at the bottom of the bottle.

I removed the brush and it was perfectly clean. So I would say that the self-cleaning aspect works. It is the materials used in the manufacture that allows it to be self-cleaning. It is not the design that accomplishes that.

And it did carry a lot of paint and it did lay down the finish well.

But I could not get the knack of cutting in with the round brush. If I could figure that out, it would have been well worth the effort of obtaining the brush.

·
Premium Member
2,291 Posts
The ferrule is stainless steel and the handle is made from resin (plastic). The bristles are synthetic. So immersion in water for an extended time is not an issue.

The instructions were to rinse it well then hang it in a container of water so that the brush is immersed but the bristles are not touching the bottom.

I cleaned the brush well after using acrylic wall paint and suspended it in a bottle of water using a squeeze clamp around the handle to keep the bristles from touching the bottom.

The following day I examined the bottle and paint residue had accumulated at the bottom of the bottle.

I removed the brush and it was perfectly clean. So I would say that the self-cleaning aspect works. It is the materials used in the manufacture that allows it to be self-cleaning. It is not the design that accomplishes that.

But I could not get the knack of cutting in with the round brush. If I could figure that out, it would have been well worth the effort of obtaining the brush.
Sounds similar to Chinex. I can soak them for a couple weeks and they still clean up almost like new. Something about that synthetic filament doesn't allow paint to stick. Paint just slides off that type of bristle, unlike Nylon/Poly's where paint gradually collects near the ferule causing the bristles to splay.

If a person painted a lot of sashes a round brush would make sense, but can't talk many client's into keeping their drafty old (painted shut, single pane) windows.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cling-on has a website and they sell the brushes on Amazon.com

And was apparently originally marketed to furniture painters.

Always wet your Cling On Brush before using, this allows the filaments to to absorb the water, not your paint and allows for much easier flow and easier cleaning. Keep your brush wet! This takes some getting used to, but, if you can keep a bucket of water next to you when you paint and re wet your brush from time to time. Dab off excess on a paper towel to get the excess water off and continue to paint.
-DO NOT REMOVE THE STRINGS, these will help keep your brushes in tip top shape
-DO NOT wrap your brush in plastic wrap or plastic bag
-To clean, you can put your brush in a jar of water, not up past the ferrule (metal part) try to not let it sit on the bottom of the container. Let it rest like this between coats and when you go to use again just take excess water off and paint. To clean, just use water and if you want to keep your brush in tip top shape you can use dawn soap or a good quality brush soap.

And this from Wiseowl:

You will not lose bristles on your Cling On brushes. They are made in the Netherlands with the most state of the art Dupont filaments that are produced in the USA. The bristles will not break or come lose from the ferrule

·
Registered
518 Posts

I'll be darned I didn't think such a thing was possible. Sounds like you found a winner!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts