Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Paint Nerd
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have much experience using any of Wolman's wood products? If so, were you happy with the product? I have used their Deckbrite cleaner and loved the results. I was thinking about trying some of their finish products on some decks, but wanted to hear some reviews first. I have used a lot of Cabot's, Devoe, and SW, but never tried Wolman's (or Sikkens, for that matter!)

·
Rock On
2,451 Posts
If you need a "clear", Wolman's is just fine
It's hard to find a good "clear"
If you would like a tint of some sort (much better for UV protection regardless of what the clear lit. says), Sikkens is the best I've found
(Thought C/SW/BM ain't half bad, and I don't have any prob spec-ing them)

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeah- I agree, Wolman's does have a decent "clear". I was moderately pleased with Wolman's overall performance. Or you could use Thompson's....Ha! Just kidding.

Sikkens is the best thing I've found as well. The only thing is that their version of clear/natural is not clear at all, and I always have the check with the customer before application. It'll turn the wood pretty dark and/or amber-looking in some cases. Also, plan on having your truck/van smell like Sikkens forever.

-jt

·
Registered
199 Posts
1977corey is the winner! Guys the TWP (Total Wood Preservative) line of stains/finishes is IMHO the alpha dog!! Wolman makes good products for sure. Their cleaner does work well. We are big on Cabot in our company and went "full in" w/ their line 10+ years ago. But the TWP line is just a superior product. Check out the solids by volume of either the 500 or 100 line and compare. Also, they have an EPA registered wood preservative.

To my knowledge, Sikkens is more of a "film former", and I am not sure that can be all good on a horizontal surface.

http://search.gemini-coatings.com/DataSheets/PDS/TWP 500 SERIES (TOTAL WOOD PRESERVATIVE).pdf

http://www.geminicoatings.com/p/11784/Default.aspx

·
tsevnami
2,189 Posts
I have used wolman Finish and Preserve (F&P). Good cheap toner. Looks awesome on cedar fences. HO and myself were very happy with it. If I am going more opaque I use something that I don't by at Menards.

·
Registered
5 Posts
OK. I am stuck. Customer has some overhead doors (custom built cedar) to be stained. Planned on using sikkens (Proluxe) but couldn't get a color he wanted.
The dark oak had too much red cast to it. PPG also dropped some colors. Much of the changes is the standard corporate profit chase. I approached Proluxe to see if I could put the Sikkens clear (Cetol 23) over a different stain product. Company said you are on your own.
Looking for any input or experience from others OR a comparable product to Sikkens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts