Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First let me say my lead painter is a women, not only has she worked for me for 9+ years she is the reason Repaint Florida has grown, been successful and has built my company into a company know for quality service :thumbsup:

so do you hire women? plus & minus on hiring ?

my crews average 70% women & 30% men

just to let you know we're a full service painting company, interior / exterior
both residential & commercial

the girls hang off 12 stories swing stage, spray, roll, brush & at the same time keep a professional image

so do you hire women?

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Have 1 currently. She works just fine. Generally, not many applying for our type of painting that's for sure. Need to be able to lift 85 lbs minimum all day long all day strong.

RPF, the main thing I wonder about is the heavy lifting... can all of your employees carry a 5er in each hand, for 100 yards without stopping? Not saying that its a requirement (that's what heavy equipment is for), but I have found that even for the guys who cannot do it, it ends up causing some delays/pita. Over the years, we have had to stock entire hotels by hand, carrying em up the stairs 5 gallons in each hand whether its 5 stories or 20 stories. Not fun.

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have 1 currently. She works just fine. Generally, not many applying for our type of painting that's for sure. Need to be able to lift 85 lbs minimum all day long all day strong.

RPF, the main thing I wonder about is the heavy lifting... can all of your employees carry a 5er in each hand, for 100 yards without stopping? Not saying that its a requirement (that's what heavy equipment is for), but I have found that even for the guys who cannot do it, it ends up causing some delays/pita. Over the years, we have had to stock entire hotels by hand, carrying em up the stairs 5 gallons in each hand whether its 5 stories or 20 stories. Not fun.
Delegating is the key, i have a yard guy to set painters up on bigger jobs

he comes in a hour earlier, set up sprayer, drops paint, leaver ladders and make sure the painter can do their job

90% of our work is residential repaints so everything is cool, but i can say this when you have women painters homeowners love them :thumbsup:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I did have a couple of young ladies on my crew in the 80's. No issue with their abilities or performance when compared to anyone else.

And I have hired many of the lady hangers in the Boston Chapter when I've needed a hand on larger jobs - again no difference with performance or abilities when compared to the guys.

One difference is the perception of men and women held by the HO . IN GENERAL, HO's relate to women differently than to men, and usually better. It's as if they think the woman will be more finicky, more careful, cleaner, better mannered, etc.They feel more comfortable with a woman on the job in those aspects. I notice a sense of ease when they talk to a female crew member.

The flip side is that there is a perception that perhaps women can't deal with the ladders and brute force some aspects of the work entails.

But whether it's a man or a woman, each individual has strengths and weaknesses, the role of a owner is to put his/her employees in the right position to maximize the talents.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
I say if a women can become an Army Ranger, they can certainly handle painting. And frankly, I'd find it pretty darn difficult to tote two fives of paint 100 yards without stopping. Especially if they were inorganic zinc! I'm sure I would make it, but at my age, the last thing I want to do is work for a company that requires that.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
We've only had two women work for us in the past 28 years. Maybe it is a geographical thing but there aren't that many female painters in our area.
Same here. Seems most of the faux painters are female around here, but for straight painters it's a male dominant work force.

·
Registered
8,761 Posts
As most of you know my business partner is female. I agree most HOS feel more comfortable with a female on the crew. I know of 3 other ladies that paint, I have said to Carly we should hire 1 or 2 women.

This year we shifted to mainly interior (not by choice, bad winter snow), next year I'm hoping for just interior painting. If that's what we end up doing I will again try to talk Carly into hiring a couple.

I do know a female painting company owner, her and her 2 female crew throw the 40 around just like us guys do. These ladies take on some big projects and seem to do just fine.

Last summer a crew of 4 females would wear their bikinis while up in a lift or on a ladder. Yes I did help put a stop to that job. Lead paint full removal in a freaking bikini.

·
Super Moderator
6,692 Posts
I think there are several female painters around this area. I've yet to hear of any of them doing exterior stuff though.

One thing I've experienced when working on a larger project is that the other workers tend to take things a bit more seriously when a female worker from any trade is on site. Less horseplay, stupid jokes/comments, attitude.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I think there are several female painters around this area. I've yet to hear of any of them doing exterior stuff though.

One thing I've experienced when working on a larger project is that the other workers tend to take things a bit more seriously when a female worker from any trade is on site. Less horseplay, stupid jokes/comments, attitude.
and when they get home to the wife and kiddies, that start acting like their normal selves - like a high school sophomore

·
Super Moderator
6,692 Posts
My sister in law is a plumbing inspector. She's always said it's a royal pain getting respect from trades, etc. Plumbers will treat her like she's an idiot or just 'the little lady who's come to look at their work'. Homeowners, business owners getting work done do the same thing.

Until they push her too far and she goes into micro nitpicky mode and refuses to sign off on their permit.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
speaking of high school sophomores, why did I know this thread would soon turn childish and totally inappropriate?

IBTL

Reactions: DrakeB

·
Registered
58 Posts
Aside from what's all mentioned above, another bonus to hiring women:

When a new guy keeps screwing something up, just tell him let me get Jenifer over here to show you how it's done. He'll remember for damn sure, as long as his male ego is functioning.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
C'mon Bill, treating women in the trades like fragile little creatures that can't handle the juvenile behavior of men in the work force, doesn't do them any justice. Women are smarter then that. And taking on the roll of knight in shining armor, slaying the male chauvanist pig, is best left for the old romance novels collecting dust in the basement. I mean, women are freakin combat pilots for crying out loud! I'm sure they survived a lot more challenges than some lame posts from painters.

·
Lambrecht Painting
1,607 Posts
I personally could care less if you are male or female. My only concern is your ability to do the job that you are assigned. Having worked with many females in my years in the fire service I found that they were as capable as any of male firefighters. I found that most females had to in fact work harder to "prove" themselves. I had a lot of respect for the ones that worked hard.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts