Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
RePaintFlorida.com
1,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I gotta brag on my sis a little bit. She's really coming into her own this year, the fifth year of apprenticeship. She already skunks most guys I've ever worked with, ladder work included.

The past couple weeks she's been practicing a lot with brush extensions. Here's a couple pics from our last two jobs. One is a church sanctuary where the pews interfered with ladder sets, the other a big exterior. Being able to use an extension, and being able to cut in with one, is a valuable skill IMO.

so cool you get to work with your sister & she pulls her weight :thumbsup:

make sure you teach her the business end too so one day she can get out of the bucket but in the mean time cut her no slack and let her learn the hard way ... she's off to a good start with ladder work, brush extension, having to work around everything and earning her pay

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
One of my best painting friends has had his youngest daughter working with him and says it been a most wonderful experience all summer.

I guess when you work 7 days a week to put one girl through Harvard and the other through U Va, working with one is a good way to keep the family ties.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is awesome.I will hire anybody thats capable of doing quality work. I have hired many ladies in the past . Unfortunately do to the nature of my work. 90% residential repaints during exterior season. The whole being able to carry your own ladders, tarps ect. ,it was very difficult . I heard the "dont you know im a girl" excuse . Even union work didnt have any women on the workforce because of the workload and employee competition . I had and would still hire women. For some reason I dont get to many applying not too many guys do out here.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
That is awesome.I will hire anybody thats capable of doing quality work. I have hired many ladies in the past . Unfortunately do to the nature of my work. 90% residential repaints during exterior season. The whole being able to carry your own ladders, tarps ect. ,it was very difficult . I heard the "dont you know im a girl" excuse . Even union work didnt have any women on the workforce because of the workload and employee competition . I had and would still hire women. For some reason I dont get to many applying not too many guys do out here.
Yah, no matter who you hire, men, boys, women, girls, they can't be weak and uncoordinated. And yes, by nature, women are generally smaller stature than men. But that said, there are plenty of women of all sizes who can carry the load, and plenty of men who can't. Any hiree needs to be able to stand up to the workload. This ain't office work.

And this "don't you know I'm a girl" comment is BS. I am sure if you condescended to someone like that BECAUSE she was a "girl", you'd be charged with sexual discrimination or even harassment.

Reactions: DrakeB

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
so i think i am cool with The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
Luckily there's a constitutional right to free speech that means people can say whatever they want about hiring men and women without recourse anyways. As long as there's no evidence of them acting on their opinions, they're more than free to share them here, so there's no need to worry about anyone throwing the book at anyone. It doesn't make people's opinions any more or less valid, but it does mean the EEOC is a fairly pointless discussion in this thread :thumbsup:

Thanks for thread RPF, I'm enjoying it so far for the most part.

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
I agree Drake. Being liable for discrimination should only apply when one's actions are preventing another, with the same and equal opportunity, from obtaining a position that can benefit them. It's the same with racism. One may look like an ass for opining their support of bigotry, but in a public setting supported by the second amendment, it doesn't justify liability.

Now granted, this is a Canadian site. But they like Americans, and are unlikely to squash opinions

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
I agree Drake. Being liable for discrimination should only apply when one's actions are preventing another, with the same and equal opportunity, from obtaining a position that can benefit them. It's the same with racism. One may look like an ass for opining their support of bigotry, but in a public setting supported by the second amendment, it doesn't justify liability.

Now granted, this is a Canadian site. But they like Americans, and are unlikely to squash opinions
Canada is in America, as is Mexico, Brazil, Cuba, Peru, etc :whistling2: ;)

Canadians are as much Americans as Brits are Europeans

I sometimes wonder what if the CSA had successfully seceded from the USA what each country would be commonly called?

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
The internet is mostly anarchy anyways; or, perhaps better described as a "city-state" type setup, which each website being a little island largely under its own control and making its own rules. Though that gets less and less true with each day.

·
Super Moderator
6,689 Posts
Now granted, this is a Canadian site.
Really?

Edit: "PAINTTALK.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario."

I had no idea.

"Unless otherwise specified, the materials contained on the Web Site are presented solely for the purpose of providing information to persons primarily located in Ontario, Canada. This site is controlled and operated by VerticalScope Inc. from its offices in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. PAINTTALK.COM makes no representation that any of the materials contained in the Web Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations or jurisdictions. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable."

I knew this place had kind of a 'homey' feel to it when I joined.:)

·
Painting Contractor
2,565 Posts
Really?

Edit: "PAINTTALK.COM is owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. of Toronto, Ontario."

I had no idea.

"Unless otherwise specified, the materials contained on the Web Site are presented solely for the purpose of providing information to persons primarily located in Ontario, Canada. This site is controlled and operated by VerticalScope Inc. from its offices in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. PAINTTALK.COM makes no representation that any of the materials contained in the Web Site are appropriate or available for use in other locations or jurisdictions. Those who choose to access this site from other locations do so on their own initiative and are responsible for compliance with local laws, if and to the extent local laws are applicable."

I knew this place had kind of a 'homey' feel to it when I joined.:)
Yes!!!
It was only a matter of time.

·
Banned
856 Posts
here we go .... politically correct bullsh:censored:

the thread was about giving credit to women painters

PaintersUnite i enjoy your post but this post was not started " as inappropriate and offensive " and i know you not slamming me but just pointing out the way we've become being PC

now where everyone takes it is on them :eek:

i am still back to my original post that woman make good painters and have had a major part in my company :thumbsup:
Jeff, na, not meant to be politically correct at all. I was just adding some butter to the topic. I know you're a good guy! ;)

Years ago, I worked in the food industry, with "15 women" as well as men, from the ages of 18 to 60+. I had 3 of those women fired for being bad apples. Whether it be 'men' or 'women' employees, there are good and bad in all shapes, sizes, colors and creeds.

Not every women is going to make a good employee, let alone a good painter. As the saying goes, it's hard to find good help. But yes, if you find a good female painter, who wants to work, whose head is on strait, she will be an asset to any business, of any industry.

BTW - your web site looks great! :thumbup:

·
Banned
856 Posts
Luckily there's a constitutional right to free speech that means people can say whatever they want about hiring men and women without recourse anyways. As long as there's no evidence of them acting on their opinions, they're more than free to share them here, so there's no need to worry about anyone throwing the book at anyone. It doesn't make people's opinions any more or less valid, but it does mean the EEOC is a fairly pointless discussion in this thread :thumbsup:

Thanks for thread RPF, I'm enjoying it so far for the most part.
"Equal opportunity employment" is very valid in this topic, IMO.
PT is a site that serves as education to many contractors. If a painter is thinking of starting his own company, "Equal opportunity employment" is important to understand, if a person intends to hire employees.

Regarding the first amendment - I believe most people are well aware of their right to free speech. My point was - ones right to free speech, may offend other people or be inappropriate is some situations. :blink:

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Oh, that's gonna be a changin' today.

Given this new found revelation, I have to wonder if we need some Canadian representation in the Mod squad?

Might as well. A Canadian is just as adept at doin nothin as any of us southerners :whistling2:

·
Registered
Painting Contractor
11 Posts
First let me say my lead painter is a women, not only has she worked for me for 9+ years she is the reason Repaint Florida has grown, been successful and has built my company into a company know for quality service 👍

so do you hire women? plus & minus on hiring ?

my crews average 70% women & 30% men

just to let you know we're a full service painting company, interior / exterior
both residential & commercial

the girls hang off 12 stories swing stage, spray, roll, brush & at the same time keep a professional image

so do you hire women?

61 - 80 of 117 Posts