Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Journeyman Painting Contractor
3,020 Posts
View attachment 112349
Yes you do hire woman. Why not. I have a all woman and operated painting business. Something I can say is that we need more woman to apply.
So, judging by your company name, I'm guessing you are apposed to hiring men? All the same, I'm glad you re-hashed this subject. Both of my painters at the moment are female and my clients love them.

·
Registered
Painting Contractor
11 Posts
So, judging by your company name, I'm guessing you are apposed to hiring men? All the same, I'm glad you re-hashed this subject. Both of my painters at the moment are female and my clients love them.
I'm new here just getting the hang of using this site. Nice. I have a problem finding woman to work. I wish I can find at least 2 soon.
Thanks for the response to my post.

·
Administrator
20,261 Posts
I'm new here just getting the hang of using this site. Nice. I have a problem finding woman to work. I wish I can find at least 2 soon.
Welcome to the group!
Please consider submitting a brief introdiction to yourself in the Intro section.
Dan

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
Call it the effectiveness of diversity training, but I'm not clear if using the term "Lady" is appropriate any longer. In my training, we were taught to not emphasize gender.

Is this a problem you are experiencing?

·
Registered
Painting Contractor
11 Posts
Call it the effectiveness of diversity training, but I'm not clear if using the term "Lady" is appropriate any longer. In my training, we were taught to not emphasize gender.

No. I have not had a problem. Hope not to encounter such a situation.

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
It's like trying to find find Zebras to be Pack Mules. This is the problem with specific identity driven pursuits.

I personally believe painting can provide opportunities for women just as much as it has for men.

Question: Is the idea of an all women business driven by the sense that they would get along better than a mixed gender staff?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
We handle primarily exterior work in the summer, and many times the homeowner isn't there at the time (vacation homes/rentals/cabins/condos, etc...). Often the setting is wooded, and frequently far from town, so using a nearby tree to relieve oneself is fairly commonplace on one or two day jobs.

We currently have an all-man crew, so this is not a problem most days. I'm certainly not averse to hiring women for the job, but this is a practical issue that would need to be addressed, especially with a mixed crew.

Renting a porta-loo and moving it from site to site for short-term jobs would not only be expensive (yes, can be passed onto customer), but would also add a logistical consideration on a regular basis, that is not always realistic (as we routinely jump from job-to-job-to-job in the summer, and is sometimes dictated by weather and other circumstances).

Curious if you would be able to speak to this issue.

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
Good question Holland. I'm also interested in the reply.

It's hard for me not to view the identity specific business and employment model as anything more than the exploitation of the empowerment movement sweeping the social landscape. For example, is there a particular value that I'm supposed to recognize in a women owned and employed service? Or, am I merely demonstrating solidarity to the plight of women in the trades if I hire their service? And what is that plight?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts

Ladies that paint for a living are the least likely to be into the PC Gender issue. We just want to get on with the work. I think I'd hate being a paint "person". You can refer to me in any polite manner you care to, gal, women, lady, girl. Just don't get in the way.

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
Ladies that paint for a living are the least likely to be into the PC Gender issue. We just want to get on with the work. I think I'd hate being a paint "person". You can refer to me in any polite manner you care to, gal, women, lady, girl. Just don't get in the way.
In a reasonable society, I suspect that would be the norm. But in a Woketopia, there can be dire consequences for not abiding by the wishes of the few.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Good question Holland. I'm also interested in the reply.

It's hard for me not to view the identity specific business and employment model as anything more than the exploitation of the empowerment movement sweeping the social landscape. For example, is there a particular value that I'm supposed to recognize in a women owned and employed service? Or, am I merely demonstrating solidarity to the plight of women in the trades if I hire their service? And what is that plight?
I've heard for a lot of women only businesses in all construction, that a big issue for customers is if they are single women in the house all day, they're more comfortable and safe feeling with another woman in the house vs a man due to issues of violence. Even going further as a male, you might get one customer that feels super safe and awesome around you, and another that hates you right away because you remind them of their ex-husband or something stupid like that. As a woman, you avoid some of those issues.

I would say too in the trades, though this could be banned to say on PT, but I figure it's worth pointing out an elephant in a room, a lot of people want familiarity in their houses, or someone that literally or figuratively speaks their languages. For example, there's many Asian-American contractors or mechanics that basically specifically market to other Asians, Russians/Eastern Europeans to their countrymen, Indians/Pakistanis to their countrymen, and sort of mini-cooperative services cater to each ethnic group, usually at lower labor rates than a mainstream business with it all being cash. I think plenty of businesses implicitly market along ethnic lines, though with say, Asians, you can go to an Asian market and look on a bulletin board and find "_ Hardwood Flooring" or whatever in Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.

81 - 100 of 117 Posts