Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
I've heard for a lot of women only businesses in all construction, that a big issue for customers is if they are single women in the house all day, they're more comfortable and safe feeling with another woman in the house vs a man due to issues of violence. Even going further as a male, you might get one customer that feels super safe and awesome around you, and another that hates you right away because you remind them of their ex-husband or something stupid like that. As a woman, you avoid some of those issues.

I would say too in the trades, though this could be banned to say on PT, but I figure it's worth pointing out an elephant in a room, a lot of people want familiarity in their houses, or someone that literally or figuratively speaks their languages. For example, there's many Asian-American contractors or mechanics that basically specifically market to other Asians, Russians/Eastern Europeans to their countrymen, Indians/Pakistanis to their countrymen, and sort of mini-cooperative services cater to each ethnic group, usually at lower labor rates than a mainstream business with it all being cash. I think plenty of businesses implicitly market along ethnic lines, though with say, Asians, you can go to an Asian market and look on a bulletin board and find "_ Hardwood Flooring" or whatever in Chinese, Vietnamese, etc.
I suspected there was something wrong, but I'm not supposed to notice otherwise.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Hmm, some quick thoughts that may or may not be fully thought out:

All female crews support the stereotype that all/most?? women are more accurate, detail oriented and can choose great colors.

The few times I was stabbed in the back on a job site, it was a fellow woman that stabbed me. Women are vicious.

I’ve used many disgusting job site bathroom facilities,men’s, women’s and mixed. I’ve also been on job sites where the women had their own dedicated loo. Most women I worked with held it in until we got to a fast food place on the way back to the shop.

I’ve had clients assume I was the helper on a job instead of the boss. I’ve also had countless people ask me what my ‘real job’ is. You know, when I’m not painting your house.

Anyway, I’ve considered trying to gather an all female crew of tradespeople to start a ‘woman only’ business. I think it has an appeal to a certain segment of the population.

Edit to add: I put together many a hand picked crew over the years for larger jobs. I always chose based on skill and non bs factor.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hmm, some quick thoughts that may or may not be fully thought out:

All female crews support the stereotype that all/most?? women are more accurate, detail oriented and can choose great colors.

The few times I was stabbed in the back on a job site, it was a fellow woman that stabbed me. Women are vicious.

I’ve used many disgusting job site bathroom facilities,men’s, women’s and mixed. I’ve also been on job sites where the women had their own dedicated loo. Most women I worked with held it in until we got to a fast food place on the way back to the shop.

I’ve had clients assume I was the helper on a job instead of the boss. I’ve also had countless people ask me what my ‘real job’ is. You know, when I’m not painting your house.

Anyway, I’ve considered trying to gather an all female crew of tradespeople to start a ‘woman only’ business. I think it has an appeal to a certain segment of the population.

Edit to add: I put together many a hand picked crew over the years for larger jobs. I always chose based on skill and non bs factor.
One thing I find kinda weird is how little women are in the trades in USA. In Asia I actually saw a lot more women in the trades, even doing fairly heavy duty stuff like cement rendering and tiling. They weren't sort of stereotypically masculine women either.

Couple videos from Taiwan.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Yeah, I’m no history expert but, maybe in the US it’s taking longer to get women equally represented in the trades? Maybe RH can school us about women in traditionally masculine jobs during ‘the war’ and then poppin out babies once our military came home. Big lag time between that and women coming back into the workforce. Idk

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
As a social scientist, I've discovered that efforts towards empowering particular groups are often driven by an insecurity of masculinity. Consequently, masculinity is mimicked by way of assertive and aggressive behavior amongst these groups, to a point where it is often more intense than would be demonstrated amongst the standard male. Unfortunately, this has the potential to elevate unnecessary masculine behavior.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Are particular groups driven by an insecurity of masculinity? probably- the numbers would suggest that there will be a few in every crowd. Is that behavior displayed in ways that appear to mimic some masculine traits? sure, why not.
Are male painters threatened by exclusivity among women painters. Probably...some of them.

As a Social Scientist, I find this behavior fascinating.
When observing painters in the wild painter, it's best not disturb them (they can be a bit skittish if approached without coffee or donuts).

Unknown-1.jpeg

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
I’m just going to tell a story here.

A few years back when I was doing that fake brick and clay tile job in DuPont Circle at the Ampeer, many people would stop by to see how it was progressing since it was a cool project. The painters at the site especially took notice so of course I’d shoot the breeze with them as I worked.
One day this painter stopped in, I’d said hello to him a couple times, and he says, “I want you to be my girlfriend.” I was at the top of a six foot ladder looking up at the ceiling, I didn’t even look down. I replied,” I don’t even know you. Why would you want me to be your girlfriend?”
“Because you’re older, maybe fifty. So, you’re experienced and you wouldn’t ask for much.”
Hmmmm, I turned him down. He walked out sort of hunched over like sad Charlie Brown.

Probably not relevant to this discussion, but there ya’ go.

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
That guy had some serious issues. I don't believe he represents the "standard" male etiquette.

Back to the issue of Identity Marketing. Would "Gentlemen Painting" be considered too masculine?

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
That guy had some serious issues. I don't believe he represents the "standard" male etiquette.

Back to the issue of Identity Marketing. Would "Gentlemen Painting" be considered too masculine?
Since you’re not a woman, you wouldn’t know what standard of etiquette women are subjected to, would ya’?

The following are too masculine, IMO :

Tough Dude Painting and Wrestling
He Man Women Haters Club Super Painting
Brawny Painting and Cleaning Service
Hercules Painting and Decor

As for identity marketing, don’t you think all marketing has that component to it?

·
Premium Member
15,554 Posts
Since you’re not a woman, you wouldn’t know what standard of etiquette women are subjected to, would ya’?

As for identity marketing, don’t you think all marketing has that component to it?
You're right. I have no idea what standard of etiquette women are subject to by men. But as a man, I do have an idea of what male etiquette towards women should look like based on my own values. And verbally pawing a women stranger on a ladder, is not good etiquette. It's actually kind of psychotic.

As far as identity marketing, it's natural to target a specific market as long as it's socially conscientious to the powers that be. However, one of the most cringey marketing efforts targeted to men, has to be that impotent commercial that shows these very sensual women strolling on the beach while taking seductive glances behind them at, no doubt, some sweaty slob in a stained Lazy Boy somewhere who thinks a blue pill will actually "Git me some of that!"

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
You're right. I have no idea what standard of etiquette women are subject to by men. But as a man, I do have an idea of what male etiquette towards women should look like based on my own values. And verbally pawing a women stranger on a ladder, is not good etiquette. It's actually kind of psychotic.

As far as identity marketing, it's natural to target a specific market as long as it's socially conscientious to the powers that be. However, one of the most cringey marketing efforts targeted to men, has to be that impotent commercial that shows these very sensual women strolling on the beach while taking seductive glances behind them at, no doubt, some sweaty slob in a stained Lazy Boy somewhere who thinks a blue pill will actually "Git me some of that!"
It seems that’s a perfect example of marketing to masculine insecurity.

If I were going to choose a company name based on what gender employee would make up the crews, it’s going to perhaps limit my appeal to the masses. When I read “Gentleman Painting”, I honestly wondered if you could get the job done. My bias tells me a gentleman wouldn’t be in the painting field.

I would totally hire someone from Gentlemen Butler Service.

Did I step in it yet? Pay no attention to the old lady behind the curtain.

·
Super Moderator
Licensed General Contractor, Painting Contractor
2,326 Posts
I've had 4 women paint for me over the years. The only issue I ever had was how men interacted with them. Many socially awkward instances where men just didn't seem to know how to act around em. Many tried being "overly chivalrous", like a high school kid on a prom date. None of the women I ever worked with expected nor wanted special treatment; only to be treated as any other worker. Because of this, IMHO, staffing a painting company exclusively with women-only painters does nothing to propel "equality" in the trades, but quite the opposite, (especially given the fact that maybe 5%-10%? of all applicants for painters are women).
If you have 5 spots open and women are the best candidates, (and they may very well be), then you might find yourself with a women-only crew, and that's wonderful. However, to limit your choice of applicants by ONLY hiring women painters, I think you'd be doing everyone involved a disservice. Not claiming that my way of thinking is right--it's just the way I think is all.

·
Registered
372 Posts

That reminds me of this.

101 - 117 of 117 Posts