Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I added some chatter marks using a 50/50 mix of Golden brand interference gold fine and FauxEffects faux creme with a mottler brush. These need to dry then I’ll topcoat it again.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Varnish Floor

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Wood flooring Varnish

Auto part

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well that was a mistake. I wiped all that out with a wet paper towel. Then I carefully added a little bit o’ burnt umber to the interference mix and just a placed few marks and blended them out. Another top coat and it’s done.

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Wood flooring Varnish

Wood Wood stain Hardwood Pattern Varnish

Redux- ugh, I was going to respond to your now altered comment but didn’t have time.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Lynn’s abstract work table is reminiscent of some obscure abstract artwork found in a decrepit detached garage in my neighborhood by a real estate investor who purchased the property shortly after the artist owner’s passing. The artwork by the relatively unknown artist Arthur Panajian almost ended up in a dumpster before being appraised at $30 Million.
Lynn, did you hear that. $30 Million Big ones.
But let's be level headed here and since you are just entering the World of Famous artists of the 21st Century,
let's take the zero out from the $30 Million.
So now we are left with more realistic $3 Million.

Next step would be to divide this sum.
Well, that's very easy.
You will get $1 Million.
Redux will get $1 Million.
and I will get $1 Million.
WIN-WIN-WIN

Next step would be for you to take few nice pictures of all your "abstract artsy pieces" without any other objects on them,
and post them here so we can closer assess them.

Lynn. Do you have any plans for your $1 Million Big ones.
I do.
I'm sure Redux will just add his to his other Millions.
:smile::wink:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I can’t find it now but somewhere in all the comments it was mentioned on how marketing is key.

Yes, it is. I’m a good technician. I’m a lousy business owner and even worse marketer.
If you want to check out the GOAT faux painter self marketer, you could look up my arch nemesis and direct competitor that has kicked my ass for years- Artstar.

She’s doing exactly what IKnowNothing has suggested. I’m not bitter, I’m envious.
I’m probably going to lose my house in the next six months, maybe I should chop up that homasote and stand on the street corner in Potomac.

I’ll send you your cut.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I can’t figure out how to upload a video so, take my word for it, this experiment didn’t work. The thin veil of interference paint just looks like I dumped glitter paint and tried to clean it up.

I dropped off the sample. It’s out of my hands.
Link to end result:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8D0HAVyaqlweyDD_ZT2cYX30qpQJWF2/view?usp=drivesdk

It's always hard to tell from a photo or a video. So maybe it's obvious to you being able to observe it directly. But based on the video I don't find the "fail" to be evident. So I'd also at least consider the "you're always your own worst critic" angle. This is probably at least partly because a) we often look at stuff far more closely than the clients; b) we know what we were trying to do; c) we get to see every second what isn't really going the way we'd hoped; d) pride and perfectionism. It obviously depends on the client. They're all so different, but they don't see what we do in the way that we do. I have higher standards than most of the people I do work for.

I recently did a thing in a bizarrely bright yellow color. I screwed up the first coat by not having shaken/stirred well enough. (Uneven pigment distribution - I was in a hurry which never works!). Second coat was depressing because of that. 3rd coat - ok, it still looks like dogsh** but passable for now. But I was out of time so apologized to the client. Said I'll have to stop back for one more coat. She said "I think it looks great." Took a picture and sent it off to the designer who picked the color. That's where it stands. And this is in the front window (the window does actually help) of a very chic, high end clothing store. Many others just don't see what we see...(of course, some also go the other way and have bizarre ideas about what is possible).

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Hmm, I thought it was pretty clear that there’s a difference between the flash or flip on the real one versus the shiny stripe of glitter on the fake one.

When it comes to my work, I know when I’ve ‘got it’ and when I didn’t. I’m thinking I should have put an even layer of interference paint and then oil glaze chatter marks on top. Too late. Good experiment. I brought it up again to the designer about a furniture restorer taking a crack at it. She said she’s going to contact the manufacturer, if they’re still in business.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Hmm, I thought it was pretty clear that there’s a difference between the flash or flip on the real one versus the shiny stripe of glitter on the fake one.

When it comes to my work, I know when I’ve ‘got it’ and when I didn’t. I’m thinking I should have put an even layer of interference paint and then oil glaze chatter marks on top. Too late. Good experiment. I brought it up again to the designer about a furniture restorer taking a crack at it. She said she’s going to contact the manufacturer, if they’re still in business.

Ok, yeah. I looked more closely at it again. The faux section of the video was kind of short and the high glossiness was a little distracting. (I'm still going to see if you're advertising for interns when I retire tho).

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Once I’m a millionaire I will retire. When you retire you could start painting with some Bob Ross videos. That man is magical with a palette knife.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Bob Ross would be my first choice as a mentor, but uh...yeah. Too late. I still can't *not* watch him if I'm flipping channels and find him on. In addition to crazy palette knife work, so zen.

Of course, if Roy Underhill is still working when I'm ready I'll have to do a stint with him too. Such art and a particularly energetic form of zen (which is a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but not the way he does it).

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
It looks ok, just don’t think it’s going to flash the way it should. Much of what I’ve done since last post is just layers of the interference and layers of figure, tone. I put an isolation layer of urethane after each step and things are taking forever to dry.

View attachment 107093

View attachment 107095

View attachment 107097

View attachment 107099

This is FANTABULOUS lady!! The close-up shots really nail it

I’m guessing this is still the piece posted prior with the fading & your trying to get the cheyt...well crap, I can’t remember what its called- so we’ll go with “shimmer” from here on out

Have u considered adding a pearl to the isolating layers or top coat to minimize steps & prevent worry about covering the shimmer in your other steps?

Off the top of my head I’m wondering if MM flash copper might work mixed into their topcoat?....

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
I can’t figure out how to upload a video so, take my word for it, this experiment didn’t work. The thin veil of interference paint just looks like I dumped glitter paint and tried to clean it up.

I dropped off the sample. It’s out of my hands.
Link to end result:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8D0HAVyaqlweyDD_ZT2cYX30qpQJWF2/view?usp=drivesdk

Annnddd once again- I was too late

I’d say u nailed it- especially since the comp is the inside so its not as if they’ll be next to each other when looking at it (can u imagine having to match if it was just a damaged area?! )

Can’t wait to hear what the client says!

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
I can’t find it now but somewhere in all the comments it was mentioned on how marketing is key.

Yes, it is. I’m a good technician. I’m a lousy business owner and even worse marketer.
If you want to check out the GOAT faux painter self marketer, you could look up my arch nemesis and direct competitor that has kicked my ass for years- Artstar.

She’s doing exactly what IKnowNothing has suggested. I’m not bitter, I’m envious.
I’m probably going to lose my house in the next six months, maybe I should chop up that homasote and stand on the street corner in Potomac.

I’ll send you your cut.

100% the absolute WORST ENEMY of any artist and my BIGGEST STRUGGLE.

The personality of most artists is completely opposite of whats required to be successful in the business end. Going it alone takes a magical combination of Timing/Luck + Fairy Dust + Stepping so far outside ur comfort zone it feels fake.

One of the 1st pieces of advice I got was
“If u want to survive in this trade (doing what u want to do) find the funds to hire someone to handle your marketing & public profiles. It doesn’t matter how good you are, or what u can offer...theres someone else out there who’s made a name for themselves thru good marketing & they’ll get all the work.”

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Bob Ross would be my first choice as a mentor, but uh...yeah. Too late. I still can't *not* watch him if I'm flipping channels and find him on. In addition to crazy palette knife work, so zen.

Of course, if Roy Underhill is still working when I'm ready I'll have to do a stint with him too. Such art and a particularly energetic form of zen (which is a little bit of a contradiction in terms, but not the way he does it).

Asked the Mr why he was obsessively watching sports lately (not a big sports guy) & he said “they never mention trumps name...”

I thought whoa, I need something like that...Bob ross videos it is!!

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts

I could feel it in ur video & totally know that feeling...I commend u for being able to send it in, I’m horrible at letting go of that “Its not ready yet!”

BUT- imagine if u added 4 more layers, got it, and then realized what u’d have to charge to even break even

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
@fauxlynn U can come join forces w/ me in san diego ....imagine all the ‘perfectionist’ work we could accomplish if there were 2 of us available ...although it’d prolly be good if one of us was better at the self promotion side of things

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Is artstar the one run by Kelly Walker? Do u know each other?

Any chance the 2 of u are in any of the same local business groups, rotary clubs, etc where u could approach her to have coffee & ask if she’s willing to share some tips on how she’s made a name of herself?

I know the competition factor makes it cringe worthy...had at last 12 plaster masters turn me down for that reason when I was looking to learn. Best case, she drops a few tidbits that could help bolster ur business...worst case, she says no.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.