Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
I can’t figure out how to upload a video so, take my word for it, this experiment didn’t work. The thin veil of interference paint just looks like I dumped glitter paint and tried to clean it up.

I dropped off the sample. It’s out of my hands.
Link to end result:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1M8D0HAVyaqlweyDD_ZT2cYX30qpQJWF2/view?usp=drivesdk
Looking at your video seems that there is a very thick layer of gloss clear finish with very pronounced orange peel on it.
It's possible that the orange peel is disturbing the light that is hitting the piece and greatly distorts the real effect of your work.

Less shiny and not as thick clear coat (similar to the original piece) would be much better choice.
I hope that customer accepts you work.
I don't know what equipment and skill level you have in spraying clear coats, but maybe would be good idea
to have professional shop doing the clear coat spraying if you get the job.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Yes the gloss and orange peel are not pleasing. The designer revarnished it for me in flat. They know I don’t spray and they don’t want it to leave the house. 🥴 I should have never let a so so sample leave my hands but, reasons.

Anyway I will wet sand it so I’m not worried about it. My biggest hurdle will be to replicate the graining. They want the ‘lines’ the same as they are now.Ha.

BTW- I realized I have twenty years of stir sticks in my workroom, all covered in crazy paint. I’m thinking $300 a piece.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Is artstar the one run by Kelly Walker? Do u know each other?

Any chance the 2 of u are in any of the same local business groups, rotary clubs, etc where u could approach her to have coffee & ask if she’s willing to share some tips on how she’s made a name of herself?

I know the competition factor makes it cringe worthy...had at last 12 plaster masters turn me down for that reason when I was looking to learn. Best case, she drops a few tidbits that could help bolster ur business...worst case, she says no.
Oh geez, yes of course we know each other. We have the same former employer and many friends in common. I’ve borrowed her workers from time to time, above board. I know exactly how she came upon her success, but I’m not going to go into it here.

How do you know her? Or do you, lol?

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@fauxlynn U can come join forces w/ me in san diego ....imagine all the ‘perfectionist’ work we could accomplish if there were 2 of us available ...although it’d prolly be good if one of us was better at the self promotion side of things
I hear San Diego is beautiful. But all of my family is on the East Coast. My favorite San Diego story comes from my friend Jan. We used to be gymnastics judges together years ago. Anyway Jan used to live in San Diego and worked for a rental car agency and she would tell us how people would take cars down to Tijuana and not return. She routinely would head down there with a co worker to steal the car back. She was one tough lady and a hell of a gymnast.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Oh geez, yes of course we know each other. We have the same former employer and many friends in common. I’ve borrowed her workers from time to time, above board. I know exactly how she came upon her success, but I’m not going to go into it here.

Well, I'm not going to press you on it. But leaving that dangling like that is just...well, you know...Sounds seedy if you ask me.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Oh Joe, it’s nothing nefarious. I already said she’s the GOAT self promoter. She really is.

To add- Baltimore is a small backward thinking place where when people ask you where you went to school they mean high school. Then you are judged by where you went to school and who you’re friends with. If your not from here, forget it.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Oh Joe, it’s nothing nefarious. I already said she’s the GOAT self promoter. She really is.

To add- Baltimore is a small backward thinking place where when people ask you where you went to school they mean high school. Then you are judged by where you went to school and who you’re friends with. If your not from here, forget it.

:laughing: I'm not from there. But yeah. I do get it.

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts

Just from instagram...been following their work for awhile & have definitely noticed how good she is at self promotion.

Shes 1 of 2 finishers that CONSTANTLY pops up if u search nearly any tag related to finish work.

Well shoot, u kinda left us hanging there...now I want u to spill some the tea...my DM’s always open if u care to share dirty details

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts

Oh man thats exactly how it is in Iowa too! If your born & bred then you kinda have a built-in support system of multiple counties.

still trips me out when ppl ask the school question! All i can think is, REALLY?! How old are we & u still care about what high-school I graduated from?!

41 - 49 of 49 Posts