·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Longtime wonderful client/designer
2. Beautiful, expensive piece of furniture
3. It’s badly faded over time
4. It’s veneer

I tried to push for a scuff and re-stain, maybe I’m wrong. She doesn’t want to go that way because of a few shallow scratches on the top surface.

She wants me to woodgrain to match former color, visible on the interior of door.

Sideboard Furniture Chest of drawers Table Dresser

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Plywood Wall

I guess I’m okay with that.
My question is: has anyone been able to duplicate that glimmer that you see in woods of this type? I’ve often thought about trying to incorporate mica powder but, I know glazes tend to negate the effect,

Thoughts? On any of it?

·
Administrator
21,538 Posts
wow - faded is an understatement.

As to the glimmer (which I am not seeing- or not sure what you are referring to), I would probably be asking you.

Reactions: PPD and Brushman4

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wow - faded is an understatement.

As to the glimmer (which I am not seeing- or not sure what you are referring to), I would probably be asking you.
Is it called effervescence? It’s maple.
Ugh,I can’t remember.
Point taken RH but, I thought maaaaaybe Mr. NY Fancy painter/woodworker/part time stand in for James Bond/ conqueror of band groupies might have a suggestion.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Ugh,I can’t remember.
Point taken RH but, I thought maaaaaybe Mr. NY Fancy painter/woodworker/part time stand in for James Bond/ conqueror of band groupies might have a suggestion.
You forgot to add Wilson to the description...

It looks more like domestic black walnut that’s been bleached out by UV light.

The shimmery look which I suspect you’re referring to is achieved with molecular dyes. I’ve only used pearlescent mica powders with encaustic type plasters & waxes, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with other mediums such as clear coats or glazes.

Edit: Maybe the shimmery thingy you’re referring to are ray flecks which act like tiny mirrors and bounce light off the surface. The fleck in walnut is usually too small to be noticed.

·
Administrator
21,538 Posts
Ugh,I can’t remember.
No, no, I really don't.

:devil3:

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You forgot to add Wilson to the description...

It looks more like domestic black walnut that’s been bleached out by UV light.

The shimmery look which I suspect you’re referring to is achieved with molecular dyes. I’ve only used pearlescent mica powders with encaustic type plasters & waxes, but I don’t see why they wouldn’t work with other mediums such as clear coats or glazes.

Edit: Maybe the shimmery thingy you’re referring are ray flecks which act like tiny mirrors and bounce light off the surface. The fleck in walnut is usually too small to be noticed.
I agree that picture looks like walnut, I’d be surprised if it is because everything in the house is maple. Thanks for your opinion. Man, Leo over at ContractorTalk told me a while back what it’s called.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I get the shimmer, and have gotten it with real wood and clears (if the wood is right).

Unfortunately, we already know I'm not a faux guy. Seems like Redux is your best resource. And then there's break out some scrap and start playing around. I love it when I get to just play around to figure out how to do something. Far more interesting than cutting and rolling another wall.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Chatoyance!!!! Thank you.
How am I supposed to remember that?!

I guess I’m going to get out the mica powder and give it a go. I wish just carefully stripping and re staining would work but the wood guy already looked at it and said no way. I really hate that I’m going to put primer and paint on that. I’m confident I can make it look real, just a shame to lose the actual real. thing, imho.

Edit- in 50 years someone is going to look at that and wonder what knucklehead painted over beautiful maple.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Chatoyance!!!! Thank you.
How am I supposed to remember that?!

I guess I’m going to get out the mica powder and give it a go. I wish just carefully stripping and re staining would work but the wood guy already looked at it and said no way. I really hate that I’m going to put primer and paint on that. I’m confident I can make it look real, just a shame to lose the actual real. thing, imho.

Edit- in 50 years someone is going to look at that and wonder what knucklehead painted over beautiful maple.

In that case, I suggest a signature and a middle finger. Leave a number too. You'll still be around to take calls for it.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Joe, that’s what I would say if I came upon such a piece.

You reminded me of a friend’s car that his grandma gave him. For whatever reason it still had her license plate - ‘OH2B29’

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Joe, that’s what I would say if I came upon such a piece.

You reminded me of a friend’s car that his grandma gave him. For whatever reason it still had her license plate - ‘OH2B29’

OH2B25 must have been taken. I remember being 25 and clearly thinking it was exactly the right age to be. Now in my 50s I can't think of any reason that I was wrong about that. But at this point 29 would still do just as well. Hell, by now I'd take 40 again.

And yes. Chatoyance! With the right species/quality/cut of wood, it's not hard to get. In faux work? I have no idea. But I have faith in you. If we weren't into craft we wouldn't be here. (Well, ok. Some of us worry more about production than craft, but there's still craft either way).

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ditto, what RH said, how old is this piece of furniture?
It’s been in this foyer for 20 years. The house is modern with huge glass panels and skylights. When you stand outside you can see the 20 or so pieces of Chihuli glass mounted 20 ft . up on the interior walls. Huge. Weird that they had the windows coated just a few years ago.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
That can't be fade. For one thing, it's just far too even in color. And far too light. You couldn't make walnut - or whatever the dark stuff is - look like that even in a vat of bleach and left in the desert. And it certainly wouldn't have faded on the interior of the cab/drawers which match the exterior rather than the inside of the door. The grains are totally different too. The current exterior just looks like classic tiger maple veneer, while the inside of the door looks like a walnut veneer. Why it would be designed that way, who knows. Very weird. Maybe there was an initial option to install the doors for contrast or to match.

Guess I don't actually have a point that helps figure out what to do. But that thing was never the same as the door interiors.

Though the thought comes to mind to find some actual wood veneer that matches the insides of the door, lay it on as a new layer, and then lacquer it (or the like). I don't know if doing veneer is in your skill set - not in mine. I've done it DIY, but not good enough to pass it off professionally, so I wouldn't try.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts