Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Trust me, if this were my credenza I’d be paying someone to replace the veneer. Knowing these clients as I do, I’m confident that they’re ok with going to a faux option. As this is most likely an expensive piece of furniture, it’s not an important antique. If it were, I wouldn’t touch it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I realize I am late to the party. My only suggestion would be to look at something like Belbien before committing to painting over it.

We use it somewhat regularly for Door Repairs. It's EXPENSIVE (even more so with Shipping) But most people with some common sense and attention to detail could do a decent install.

Anyway, just my $0.02. At least if they went with Belbien they could remove it in the future!

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
kentdalimp, I checked out the Belbien website, awesome stuff. I invented that in my head ten years ago, doh! Thanks for the idea, client is undecided as to what to do.

·
Girl Boss
516 Posts
Whoa...late to the party (whats new?) but that fade is mind-blowing! Is she positive thats all from UV damage? The color is so even...

Hope u topped that sucker w/ some serious UV protectant at the end to avoid a call 10yrs from now to do it all over again

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Whoa...late to the party (whats new?) but that fade is mind-blowing! Is she positive thats all from UV damage? The color is so even...

Hope u topped that sucker w/ some serious UV protectant at the end to avoid a call 10yrs from now to do it all over again
Trust me, it’s decades of sun. Last night I had a call with the designer and she said they asked about fade resistant protectant. She told them most likely not. They live in a huge contemporary home. The front entry is probably 10 x 20+, every bit of it getting sunlight from the ceiling of skylights. She told me for whatever reason the skylights can’t be coated with anything.

If it takes thirty years for it to fade again we’ll probably be dead.

Anyway, there’s a meeting tonight to see if they want to proceed.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Trust me, it’s decades of sun. Last night I had a call with the designer and she said they asked about fade resistant protectant. She told them most likely not. They live in a huge contemporary home. The front entry is probably 10 x 20+, every bit of it getting sunlight from the ceiling of skylights. She told me for whatever reason the skylights can’t be coated with anything.

If it takes thirty years for it to fade again we’ll probably be dead.

Anyway, there’s a meeting tonight to see if they want to proceed.
I guess by now the meeting is over.
I hope you got the job.

·
Registered
227 Posts
kentdalimp, I checked out the Belbien website, awesome stuff. I invented that in my head ten years ago, doh! Thanks for the idea, client is undecided as to what to do.
Sorry I missed this before! Good luck with the work...in February. At least you have plenty of time to come up with a plan of attack! :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I’m going to sub it out to my intern, Joe67

Oh boy Lynn. You'll have to rethink that one. I haven't had my training yet! I can't even do a simple one like those dumb distressed blue chairs I asked about. I've got something working that she's happy with though. I'll be posting an update sometime soon...

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Joe, I’m sure those chairs look fine. I’m going to test my other theory on this before Feb. I also have to figure out how I’m going to copy it more exactly , as in they would like the grain lines in the same place. Ha.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.