Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a customer who lives in a stucco house. He is having problems with woodpeckers making holes throughout the exterior of his home. Is there any inexpensive way to repel the woodpeckers to keep them from doing damage to his house?

Thanks, Tim

·
Registered
745 Posts
You might try the sparkly mylar strips hanging down from the eaves in a few select places. I guess the sparkles hurt their eyes???
They use a lot, here in the vineyards.
r

·
3rd Generation Painter
142 Posts
I have a customer who lives in a stuco house. He is having problems with woodpeckers making holes throughout the exterior of his home. Is there any inexpensive way to repel the woodpeckers to keep them from doing damage to his house?

Thanks, Tim
You could try some 870 woodpecker repellant.:jester:

And before anyone gets up in arms, I'm just kidding.

·
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jackrabbit, this will cause more holes in the stucco brother. Need other options. Anybody?

·
FT painter/FT dad
1,254 Posts
maybe just hand the bird a little something :blink:

Attachments

·
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rich, if thats what i think it is, he would never have to worry about anythng .......house or woodpeckers....lol

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
wow, they are actually pecking into the stucco? Is that common on stucco?

I say one house where the mylar strips were up, but their problem was actually the carpenter bees, not woodpeckers so I doubt it would do any good. Do you think that pepper additive for the paint would deter woodpeckers?

·
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DeanV, this is the third time i will be patching the holes. They go after the carpenter bee larve. Never heard of the pepper additive but, will look into it. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
9,505 Posts
I just ran out to my shop to check for a bottle it is called Rymar ChewStop. I have a partial one, it is a 2 oz bottle that treats 2 gallons of paint. It says on the label it stops bees, bugs, spiders, and birds. I used it once on some wood pillars to stop rodents from chewing on it, and it worked. If you cannot get it in your area, let me know and I can get a couple for you if you would like. It looks like the retail on it was about $7/bottle whenever I bought it.

It looks like you can order it from there website also.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remember when woody woodpecker walked through the fresh concrete and the guy grabbed him by the neck and while stroking his head feathers with his other hand said, "Your gonna smooth this out.... Just....Like....Glass....NOW GET TO WORK!!".....sorry this post just reminded me of that.

·
4,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I did the patching today and the customer said something about using electronic spiders on a sound detector. Said to hang 6 to 8 feet above old pecking holes. When they come back to peck the sound will trigger the detector sending the spider down a string to spook them away....lol. H.O. will call for spider installation when shipment comes in.

·
Registered
745 Posts
That spider-be-gone additive is NOT painter friendly...

If yer gonna dump that in yer paint, use a respirator when spraying!
r

·
Registered
745 Posts
Tim, I can't imagine why woodpeckers would choose that stucco house!

I think I might try some sacrificial wood.
I know it really sounds stoopid, but maybe hang some 2ft long 6x6's or pieces of pole from the fascia in a couple places??? Or a telephone pole set across the yard from the house???

Guess there's always a BB gun for Christmas option...
r

1 - 20 of 25 Posts