Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, I'm posting this to see what are your thoughts on the WOOSTER brand of Brushes/Rollers... Please post opinions, questions, and or concerns about the Brand line THANKS :)

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Love the Rollers, I have not used the brushes mainly because my store does not carry them. My one complaint is that my 9 in roller frame squeaks. I bought a new one thinking that it was just an issue with that particular frame, but the new one also squeaks. Drives me nuts.

·
Super Moderator
6,800 Posts
The wooster sherlock poles are the best extension poles I've ever used. Just gotta make sure you don't press the release button and let the pole shorten to quick. Blows out the back end of the handle.

Only one I've ever had to replace was my 2'-4'. But after 12yrs of punishing daily service, I couldn't blame the poor thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Love the Rollers, I have not used the brushes mainly because my store does not carry them. My one complaint is that my 9 in roller frame squeaks. I bought a new one thinking that it was just an issue with that particular frame, but the new one also squeaks. Drives me nuts.
If you are using the Sherlock Roller Frame and its squeaking, place it in water over night, spin dry it in the AM and the squeaking should fade. if problem returns just soak in water over night.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Wooster fan for the most part. I really like the FTP brushes, the 14' rollers, poles, frames, etc.

One thing I wish they would do is come out with a true microfiber roller, specifically a mini roller. I like the mocroplush for some things, but they are not a true microfiber. I use the Mini Cage system a lot but find myself having to use Purdy Jumbo Mini naps to get the performance I'm looking for, for certain tasks like rolling trim.

Also more options for covered end minis would be nice. About all of the Mini Cage naps have a button on the end. Another reason I use the Purdy naps. Covered end rollers are nice for cutting in inside corners and other tasks. I like the Wooster mini frames a lot better than the Purdy's, that's the only reason I haven't switched totally.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Love the frames (surelock) and poles. The super fabs shed too much so I use Purdy white doves or microfiber when the finish matters which is on just about everything anyone can see. Super fabs that have been used a few times are great but i'm not cleaning any covers these days.they sure do load up nicely though. I just wish they didn't shed.I don't have an opinion on the brushes...I use Purdy mostly because SW carries them and it's easy. I'll drive outta the way to get frames and poles when I need to. Yes, the frames squeek if they're dry. I just get the ends wet with water really quick before I slip a sleeve on. No problems. Ever. They last forever and when it (or they)dies (after much abuse) I go buy 10 more. I've been using the same set up for 20+ years and have no intention of changing anytime soon!

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
...I use Purdy mostly because SW carries them and it's easy.....!

Pretty much the opposite for me. We use SW paints so rarely I normally only go there for sundries. Like the Purdy naps. Would be nice if Wooster would catch up in that aspect and save me some trips to Sherwin.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wooster fan for the most part. I really like the FTP brushes, the 14' rollers, poles, frames, etc.

One thing I wish they would do is come out with a true microfiber roller, specifically a mini roller. I like the mocroplush for some things, but they are not a true microfiber. I use the Mini Cage system a lot but find myself having to use Purdy Jumbo Mini naps to get the performance I'm looking for, for certain tasks like rolling trim.

Also more options for covered end minis would be nice. About all of the Mini Cage naps have a button on the end. Another reason I use the Purdy naps. Covered end rollers are nice for cutting in inside corners and other tasks. I like the Wooster mini frames a lot better than the Purdy's, that's the only reason I haven't switched totally.

The Micro PLush is a more refined Micro Fiber. it is a more traditional woven fiber, not imported like most... on the other hand
Side Nap vs. Button End​
Some painters use minirollers to paint corners, where two adjacent walls or the wall and ceiling​
are the same color. For this, a cover that has fabric wrapped around the end is needed—a side​
nap or closed end. Other painters want minis that allow them to paint beside a surface of a​
different color, or an unpainted surface. In that case, a button end creates a cleaner line and​
provides greater control. Both roller styles are useful... hope this helped !

·
Banned
3,745 Posts
I prefer still all Wooster brushes and sleeves
Most everybody I know still does.
That said. Eeeh. The unavailability of them now directly from the paint store, sherwin, we will get used to the what they now carry. Eventually we will. Nobody is gonna regularly make a special trip forever. Paint and brushes and handles and sleeves they get ordered at the same time and go on the same charge so? A pretty large loyal following is getting lost here, just a matter of time now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I prefer still all Wooster brushes and sleeves
Most everybody I know still does.
That said. Eeeh. The unavailability of them now directly from the paint store, sherwin, we will get used to the what they now carry. Eventually we will. Nobody is gonna regularly make a special trip forever. Paint and brushes and handles and sleeves they get ordered at the same time and go on the same charge so? A pretty large loyal following is getting lost here, just a matter of time now.
yeah you wont find Wooster in a SW store because they are competitors. Purdy will be in there because they are owned by SW. To get a Wooster Brand you have to go to tradition paint store i.e PPG, Ben Moore etc... Wooster does private label in Lowes and Home depot as well !

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
The Micro PLush is a more refined Micro Fiber. it is a more traditional woven fiber, not imported like most... on the other hand
Side Nap vs. Button End​
Some painters use minirollers to paint corners, where two adjacent walls or the wall and ceiling​
are the same color. For this, a cover that has fabric wrapped around the end is needed—a side​
nap or closed end. Other painters want minis that allow them to paint beside a surface of a​
different color, or an unpainted surface. In that case, a button end creates a cleaner line and​
provides greater control. Both roller styles are useful... hope this helped !

The thing about the mocroplush is that they can shed tiny fibers like a woven nap. With a Purdy, or other brands of what I'm calling a "true" microfiber, if they do shed is a big blob of fiber than you see right away instead of little hairs. The Purdy micros are basically shed free after a rinse of wash.

I do like the button end minis for some things. If I'm rolling in conjunction with cutting in, as the Mini Cages are advertised as being good for, the button is just the trick. More often though, like when cutting in ceilings where the walls will be painted also, rolling panel doors, trim, etc. the wrapped ends are critical.

I'm trying to think of a wrapped end Mini Cage nap.....not coming to mind. Do they have any wrapped end 4'?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I love most of the Wooster products. I live about 40 miles away from the factory. You used to be able to go directly to the factory and buy what you wanted but they don't do that anymore. I've become a big fan of the PRO brush. Some on here don't like it, but, man, it makes a nice, firm, straight line that I just love. Purdy just has too much play in the bristles and slows me down. I can fly through my cut-ins with the PRO.

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Been using the Sherlock pole for years--prefer it to anything out there. Currently using Purdy frames in 9" and minis--only complaint is the water dripping from the solid core. Mine never squeak (knock on wood). The Wooster mini seems a little cheaply made? Use mostly Purdy sleeves (standard and mini). Open to change that, but would have to buy at big box or bulk online.

Go back and forth between Wooster Pro Ultra and Corona brushes. Recently picked up 3" angle sash Alpha to try at cutting in--have not used it yet. I have a bushel of Purdy brushes but hardly use them anymore--many have been demoted to primer use or exteriors. I have a Chinex FTP? that I've used with Advanced several time. It cleans up better, but not necessarily a better finish than Corona Cortez.

Thanks for the post--takes courage to ask "wide open" questions in a "wide open" forum. It probably is the best way to get feedback from the users in the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
Other than the Sherlock pole, and a 4 inch brush I use when I have to hand paint siding, I don't use Wooster products. I started with Purdy brushes, switched to Coronas, and would be hard pressed to believe that Wooster brushes out-perform them. I have too many brushes as it is. Purdy's have been demoted to exterior work and dust brushes.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
The wooster sherlock poles are the best extension poles I've ever used. Just gotta make sure you don't press the release button and let the pole shorten to quick. Blows out the back end of the handle.

Only one I've ever had to replace was my 2'-4'. But after 12yrs of punishing daily service, I couldn't blame the poor thing.
It also hurts like 4377 when ya disengage the lock and it comes down pinching my finger. Sometimes ya gotta shorten the pole up in a stairwell or something and the quick release button works REALLY well. That's operator error though you could t pay me to use a different system.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts