Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Massive paint shortage in Connecticut at sherwin. zero! flat paint and no low sheen 200 or 400. no duration matte. they say it has something to do with the Texas storm and covid. Then I hear master hide is not coming back! wtf this has been my go to ceiling and closet paint for over 20 years. Now a tin shortage. so guess what ben moore putting paint in plastic gallons now. those cans suck. what's next?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Massive paint shortage in Connecticut at sherwin. zero! flat paint and no low sheen 200 or 400. no duration matte. they say it has something to do with the Texas storm and covid. Then I hear master hide is not coming back! wtf this has been my go to ceiling and closet paint for over 20 years. Now a tin shortage. so guess what ben moore putting paint in plastic gallons now. those cans suck. what's next?
Bm was having major problems with there metal cans , they were rusting into paint. A whole bunch of gallons in our store where pulled and we had no stock til product came in new cans.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Why do you think plastic cans suck?

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Why do you think plastic cans suck?
The lids/rims are terrible. Tiny narrow little channel in the rim with a weak and wimpy ridge on the lid that supposed to click into place. But that doesn't work well, even if the rim stays clean. It's often just hard to tell whether the damn lid is actually on right, and I don't trust them at all for actually staying on there even if the lid is on right.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I like plastic cans but hate the plastic rim and lid. Never had a bale come off a plastic can like a metal can has done. You can set a plastic can on surfaces that you don't want to set a metal can on although you still have to be careful. Pain in the ass to keep a plastic rim clean and get a tight seal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
On another note beyond the wallpaper joke I made (though a paperhanger I think wanted to recruit me one day, he told me it's going full force coming back in commercial...) I think there's gonna be further consolidation in the paint business in USA, as PACMan wrote about on here a long time ago.

I've not gone to my local SW or BM during this time really, so I can't know how it is on the ground. That said, all the Lowes and Home Depots seem relatively fully stocked with everything. SW and PPG both make products for Lowes and Home Depot. There's been talks of totally closing the SW stores entirely, and replacing it all with Lowes. And PPG has Home Depot and they've streamlined a lot of their products away from separate HD and PPG lines, to making their top interior paint Timeless, which is at HD, with no more Manor Hall for independents or PPG stores. In SW's case, I've actually not used any Lowes SW products, but the Valspar labeled products are pretty top level paints for their price range. Valspar 2000 is easily better than Promar, for example. Wallpaper dude above told me he thinks Valspar Signature is almost as good as BM Regal, which I don't know if I'd go that far, but for the low 30s it's definitely competent and I would say even better than BM Ben or something in that range.

So my kinda theory is, from a conspiratorial angle, is maybe the paint companies are "Not letting a good crisis go to waste" and might use this to consolidate their lines and severely cut down the number of local SW, PPG, etc, stores, and leave only a few around for industrial products (or maybe make those special order only through Lowes/HD) but eliminate kind of superfluous stuff like making Promar and Valspar contractor lines at the same time, etc. Speedhide might stop existing or just outright replace something at HD, etc, etc. On the negative side, the contractor discounts likely will cease and contractors will need to go to HD and Lowes for paint almost no matter what. The trade will suck even more than it does now, and dilute itself even more as there won't be "real" paint stores for "real" paint contractors except for BM, and it will be more DIY/gig oriented than the high amount it is now.

These are kind of my thoughts, SW in the crisis more or less abandoning contractors and large commercial accounts to cater to DIYers kinda is some writing on the wall, imo.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I like to use metal cans as cut buckets.
I can just let them dry, and re-use, which suits my style.

the plastic has to be cleaned thoroughly or they shed into the new paint, but I don’t always have the option to clean them before re-using, and it’s more work.
I cut the rims off of the metal cans and clean them after use. Just how clean they can get obviously varies and they have a lifecycle eventually being relegated to caulk water use only once I don't trust the gunk level.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I cut the rims off of the metal cans and clean them after use. Just how clean they can get obviously varies and they have a lifecycle eventually being relegated to caulk water use only once I don't trust the gunk level.
Cheap dollar store can openers work great to cut the lip off

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Cheap dollar store can openers work great to cut the lip off
I've had lousy results with the cheap ones because I haven't found one with arms that are strong enough. You squeeze and before it cuts into the can the arms flex and squeeze together. I use the OXO in our kitchen, but don't tell my wife. I've also done it with a 5 in one and the little camping/military style opener that resides on my pocket knife. Those methods are a PITA, but they work when needed.

·
Premium Member
1,585 Posts
I've had lousy results with the cheap ones because I haven't found one with arms that are strong enough. You squeeze and before it cuts into the can the arms flex and squeeze together. I use the OXO in our kitchen, but don't tell my wife. I've also done it with a 5 in one and the little camping/military style opener that resides on my pocket knife. Those methods are a PITA, but they work when needed.
wouldn't a can opener that doesn't work be called a..."can't opener"?

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
maybe I got lucky with the last one I got, don't expect it to last very long though

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
wouldn't a can opener that doesn't work be called a..."can't opener"?
I believe the technical trade term would be "paint can't opener." It could probably still be something like a "bean can opener"

maybe I got lucky with the last one I got, don't expect it to last very long though
For a buck or a couple I'll have to try a few more...

Can someone explain cutting the can up? I've never seen this done.
Not sure if I'm answering the right question, but I'm just talking about cutting the rim off a can. You get a new one freshly emptied and mopped out, take a can opener to the rim, and clean it up. Fresh shiny clean metal and no rim = no paint stuck under the rim, easy to mop out and then clean up.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
This one's still quite clean. I'd use it if I'm in trim or something.

This one's obviously been around the block. Caulk water or slop priming. Or...the remnants of that spout bent into the rim is probably when I last used it to clean up from oil. The quick-spout makes an easy pour back into my dirty container of thinner.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts