Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right, my mistake!:notworthy:

Y, you get a lot of traffic from Yahoo?

·
Registered
591 Posts
Google will still dominate the market I think it's like 80% of internet searches go through Google! I learned that in the free webinar Internet Marketing. Thanks for the link who ever gave that one!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,840 Posts
Yea I'm not at all impressed by bing. I tried to update my listing and I'm still waiting.

Pending review
Date verified:10/07/2010
Last updated:10/22/2010

Still nothing, occasionally I see a message saying they are making some changes and that it might take a bit longer the the 48 hour time period.

Pat

·
Registered
591 Posts
Yea I'm not at all impressed by bing. I tried to update my listing and I'm still waiting.

Pending review
Date verified:10/07/2010
Last updated:10/22/2010

Still nothing, occasionally I see a message saying they are making some changes and that it might take a bit longer the the 48 hour time period.

Pat
Yea it takes a long time

·
Born To Be Mild
4,956 Posts
Yahoo directory is different and costs $300 per year. People register there just for the single backlink you get because links from Yahoo dir is so well respected by google.

Since I am technologically dis-advantaged, could you explain how being in the directory helps and what the backlink does?
:eek:

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yaros is much better at explaining this, but from what I understand, you get incoming links from signing up. These have huge weight for SERP's.
And I think you get a an ad similar to Google's paid ads.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Since I am technologically dis-advantaged, could you explain how being in the directory helps and what the backlink does?
I would save my 300. The Yahoo directory is a relic from the past (kind of like DMOZ) where links are all organized by actual humans. Just last week, YD have announced that they are shutting down their UK and Ireland division of it. I think US is to follow in the next few years.

Now, DMOZ is free, but it's virtually impossible to get in. Yahoo, on the other hand, you pay 300 and they'll include your link in the directory on a page that's particular for your geographical region.

Since the directory is so old and since it's edited by humans, Google puts high value on the link you get from the Yahoo directory. (BTW, you can't choose the anchor text, it has to be your company name). Because that's such a valuable link, folks are willing to shell out 300 for it. But in the grand scheme of things, it won't make that much of a difference if you're already ranking well.
Yahoo Local is a completely different thing. It's just like Google Places. It's free, but you can also pay 10/month and that will put a little "Verified Merchant" logo next to your listing.

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Now that they are combined, they are pretty strong, might want to make sure you are in the free local listing.
Register here
I had an ad account with them and canceled it this morning they are not letting me view my account info on macs now that MS is the owner of the ad account. Yes I could goto the windblown machine I have in the house but that's just stupid that they would not make ad center compatible with macs and safari.

BTW I really never keep up with this ad account anyway, I use google and maintain that the most.

·
Registered
12,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had an ad account with them and canceled it this morning they are not letting me view my account info on macs now that MS is the owner of the ad account. Yes I could goto the windblown machine I have in the house but that's just stupid that they would not make ad center compatible with macs and safari.

BTW I really never keep up with this ad account anyway, I use google and maintain that the most.
Hunh?? I can view my account on my Mac? I never use it either though!

·
The Lurker
3,514 Posts
Hunh?? I can view my account on my Mac? I never use it either though!
just tried to log in today now that the merge with yahoo is complete and it flat out told me not compatible with mac, safari win or mac and google chrome.

I could see basic info but i could not manage anything, has to do with Silverlight software.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts