Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a bit of an odd situation here, hoping the collective knowledge on this forum can help.

I have a spindle (pine) that has been primed but not painted and need to know if the primer on the spindle is Zinsser BIN Shellac base primer or something else. Basically, given a primed surface, what's a test to determine if the primer used is Zinsser BIN Shellac base primer. I need this info as I believe the entire porch has been primed with this Zinsser product and, if so, I need to remove it as that shellac primer is only for spot- exterior, not for the entire surface.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If it passes the alcohol test it is probably an oil primer. Ammonia may be a better indicator than alcohol if you want to rule out a waterborne primer. Alcohol could soften and bite into a waterborne primer as well.

If the BIN is on raw wood good luck removing that.......

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Why don't you just put a brush full on the spindle.. BIN is almost yellow in color, where most primers are pure white. If it blends in with the rest of the priming you are probably safe to say it is BIN. I highly doubt anyone would tint the primer to that color..

·
Registered
421 Posts
If its bin good luck getting it if you figure out the time one man to get bin completely off depending on how many lets 24 spindles 1and half days 40-60 1-3 days how much are spindles again.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
If its bin good luck getting it if you figure out the time one man to get bin completely off depending on how many lets 24 spindles 1and half days 40-60 1-3 days how much are spindles again.

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk

huh?:blink:

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
why would you worry about if its BIN primer? Just because it says spot exterior does not mean you can't use it for what you have there. I say sand em, paint em, leave em. Do you really think stripping them is a fair way to treat the situation? Now if they had been primed with PVA, that may be a reason to strip em.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Actually I do think Zinsser does not recommend full priming with BIN for exterior work, only spot priming. If it were my job, I would find the dude who primed it and ask him what he used.

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
Just paint over it. Stripping would be a waste of time.

Alcohol will soften latex coatings and bin. Might do a better job softening bin but don't know.

·
very senior member
9,848 Posts
Read this( slowly and carefully) and ask yourself, would anybody understand this? Does this make ANY sense at all? Should I post this?
If you took 5 seconds to write something that is somewhat understandable, we, as humans, could communicate better.

"If its bin good luck getting it if you figure out the time one man to get bin completely off depending on how many lets 24 spindles 1and half days 40-60 1-3 days how much are spindles again."

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Read this( slowly and carefully) and ask yourself, would anybody understand this? Does this make ANY sense at all? Should I post this?
If you took 5 seconds to write something that is somewhat understandable, we, as humans, could communicate better.

"If its bin good luck getting it if you figure out the time one man to get bin completely off depending on how many lets 24 spindles 1and half days 40-60 1-3 days how much are spindles again."
Let me try:

"Good luck getting BIN to come off that stuff sticks like a mo fo!! If it were me I would be thinking how long it would take for one man to completely remove the BIN, I am thinking 40-60 min per spindle. That equates to potentially 1-3 days of one man's labor. I might consider just replacing the spindles, have you priced them out?"

·
Painting Contractor
4,064 Posts
MikeCalifornia said:
Let me try:

"Good luck getting BIN to come off that stuff sticks like a mo fo!! If it were me I would be thinking how long it would take for one man to completely remove the BIN, I am thinking 40-60 min per spindle. That equates to potentially 1-3 days of one man's labor. I might consider just replacing the spindles, have you priced them out?"
Mike, you must have found the Al secret decoder ring in your cereal box this morning!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Really not sure why you'd want to remove the BIN primer. You seem to be a bit mis-informed on this one. While spot sealing knots on exterior timber is one use its not the only one. Earlier in the week I sprayed an entire fire damaged interior with the stuff - one of it's many recommended uses.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Really not sure why you'd want to remove the BIN primer. You seem to be a bit mis-informed on this one. While spot sealing knots on exterior timber is one use its not the only one. Earlier in the week I sprayed an entire fire damaged interior with the stuff - one of it's many recommended uses.
Key word: interior.

Recommended Uses – Recommended for application to interior ceilings, walls, doors, trim, cabinets, furniture, and related paintable surfaces. Exterior uses are limited to spot priming only. May be used to block water, grease, rust, smoke, asphalt, graffiti, and many other types of stains.

Exterior - Spot prime persistent bleed from knots and sap streaks before full-surface priming with water or oil base primer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts