Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
While I was still painting, I advised the HO that the ceiling and trim would look old and tired if I just hung paper and did not paint those surfaces. She thought I was just trying to upsell.

I'm sure all you know what happened.

It is NOT fun papering first and then painting, especially the ceiling. The time for just taping up the plastic over the walls equalled the actual painting of the ceiling

·
hopeless perfectionist
167 Posts
Alright, after lurking on these forums for a few months it's my first post!

If I'm doing a total repaint I'll get my wall and/or ceiling repairs on first, then I will work on window and door casings. I never try to cut trim paint to the very edge of the trim where it meets the wall, that is too time-consuming. If any trim paint gets on the wall I just make sure it gets feathered out so nothing nasty shows in the finished product. I try to get two coats on the trim before cutting and rolling walls. I always do baseboards last after walls, since the top edge of the baseboard always looks laser-straight. I find that when you cut the bottom of the wall to the already-painted baseboard the line doesn't look quite as "crisp".

·
Spider killer
728 Posts
Painting trim first I think is faster ,cutting the top lip of that baseboard when the walls r done is a pain. Watch out for the roller splatter and your ok , the other thing that messes up this approach is that you must invoice first then get your deposit later! Make sure you buy the paint after the job is done.

·
Retired Moderator
10,323 Posts
While I was still painting, I advised the HO that the ceiling and trim would look old and tired if I just hung paper and did not paint those surfaces. She thought I was just trying to upsell.

I'm sure all you know what happened.

It is NOT fun papering first and then painting, especially the ceiling. The time for just taping up the plastic over the walls equalled the actual painting of the ceiling
Sooooo....what is your preference on what tape to use in a situation like that? Aaannnnd....what brush do you prefer for cutting into paper?

This thread has too much potential to let die a quick death.:yes:

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
1) Spray ceilings
2) Back mask ceilings and spray trim
3) Brush and roll walls

I don't know how anyone can do it any other way. Maybe there are certain situations where the walls must be painted first (i.e. casings arent on yet for whatever reason) but I don't see painting walls first as being very efficient.

I worked for a company a long time ago that used to paint all walls in a house first, then brush and roll all trim second. It was a huge waste of man-power. After being there 2 months and showing the boss how to do it right, I was promoted to foreman over 5 other guys who had been there for 2 or more years.

I didn't stick around that long though because that wasn't the only thing they did bass-ackwards.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Are you talking repaint rcon or new construction
New construction, but I try to use the same systems for repaints where I can. Of course, spraying trim on a repaint isn't always possible, and in those situations I will brush/roll trim if I have to, but I still do trim before I do walls, and I still spray ceilings before trim if i'm doing ceilings (i've found that brushing/rolling ceilings never gives me the look i'm after, and takes twice as long).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ceilings first, then walls and trim last.
Wall paint is usually flatter, and therefore, has more tooth than trim paint(gloss,semigloss), so if you overpaint the trim with the wall paint(if the wall paint not to dark) , the trim paint sticks to it.
Trying to paint over fresh trim paint, if you over paint the wall 'cause you did the trim first, the semigloss,or what ever is slick and has no tooth.
I have no trouble cutting trim to the wall or baseboard with a nice clean brush and I only drink half caff.
I argue all the time with this douche I have to work with. He says it's easier to paint the trim first 'cause you don't have to ever learn to cut in (my words), and then he cuts the walls and paints wall paint right up to the front face edge of the trim(?).
Says some guy ad "Job Corps" said that's the way the pro's do it.
Just seems like the trim is the cherry on top. The finishing touch.
I don't even wanna see that damn semi-gloss in the place until the ceilings and walls are done.
But that's just me and I got a bad attitude, a prostate the size of a honeydew and a head full of bad memories so what do I know.

·
PinheadsUnite
30,724 Posts
Sooooo....what is your preference on what tape to use in a situation like that? Aaannnnd....what brush do you prefer for cutting into paper?

This thread has too much potential to let die a quick death.:yes:
That was before blue tape. Luckily there was a crown to which we could tape the plastic with masking tape.

Which brush? The best one !!!! :thumbup:

Reactions: Wolfgang

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Trying to paint over fresh trim paint, if you over paint the wall 'cause you did the trim first, the semigloss,or what ever is slick and has no tooth.
I have no trouble cutting trim to the wall or baseboard with a nice clean brush and I only drink half caff.
I'm not going to try to change your mind - everyone has their own system. But as for the semi not having 'tooth', that's what a pole sander is for. And brushing trim after painting walls takes more time than spraying or brushing trim, then doing walls.

But hey, to each their own. ;)

41 - 59 of 59 Posts