Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner
81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Builders Solutions Matte. Almost always use it, and if something goes wrong it is our go too. Super FLAT. But apparently Sherwins New product coming out is .05 or .5 side sheen in flat. So that will be the next move.

·
dewey.s
4 Posts
not happy with BM ultra spec

I just got done today with painting out a large ceiling using BM Ultra Spec Flat.
Home owner had eggshell on it and wanted it repainted. There was a window at the end of the room which was in a basement den. Everything was going well until I saw that I had a couple small areas where the eggshell shined through. I got out the weanie roller and tried to feather it in. It flashed on me. Really bummed out on that since it was in the worst spot where the light from the window highlighted it.
I won't be using this product for ceilings anymore. I just hope the HO doesn't see it. Of course they probably will.:(

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
Well, I know what is Not the best ceiling paint, Regal matte.
I'm on a large house now where its specced for the ceilings. It's a re paint and they used it the last time too. Current job pretty much looks like crap. You can see every roller track.

I'm using every trick I know to get them to come out good, or at least better than they are now. Almost every room has critical light at some point during the day. Customer thinks matte ceilings look "elegant". And I actually agree, they're just a PITA.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I use Ben Moore Regal flat on ceilings most of the time, if not that the Sherwin super paint flat. My crew only uses BM Regal / Sherwin Super paint or better. we like the BM regal a lot. even for colored ceilings.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
dewey.s said:
I just got done today with painting out a large ceiling using BM Ultra Spec Flat. Home owner had eggshell on it and wanted it repainted. There was a window at the end of the room which was in a basement den. Everything was going well until I saw that I had a couple small areas where the eggshell shined through. I got out the weanie roller and tried to feather it in. It flashed on me. Really bummed out on that since it was in the worst spot where the light from the window highlighted it. I won't be using this product for ceilings anymore. I just hope the HO doesn't see it. Of course they probably will.:(
You should have read this thread first. Then you would have known that 508 is the best.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I just primed a spec house today with PPG high hide primer $80 per 5. Tommorrow I recoat the ceilings with ultra hide 150 flat $81 per 5. I am really hoping this combo works out. If not I will prbly just go back to master hide as a finish for my budget jobs.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I just primed a spec house today with PPG high hide primer $80 per 5. Tommorrow I recoat the ceilings with ultra hide 150 flat $81 per 5. I am really hoping this combo works out. If not I will prbly just go back to master hide as a finish for my budget jobs.
Are you going to apply 2 coats of flat finish over the primer? I use Zinsser 123 and one coat of flat isn't enough to stop the sparkles from pushing through. I was wondering lately if there is some combo where you can apply one coat primer and one coat flat finish and be done.

·
Registered
914 Posts
1 coat of primer. 1 coat of finish. I spray and backroll everthing so coverage isnt an issue. For me its about cost , look, then amount of area it covers. So far I havent really found a decent contractor grade combo yet. At least not from PPG. SW can go pound salt. BM is just too expensive for my budget jobs.

·
Brushmaster
98 Posts
Around here people want every thing shiny. I prefer flat myself, for budget work I've found that PPG speedhide Pro-EV flat works great. Dries dead flat and has great working properties. Also I've been using Kelly moore commercial flat and low sheen enamel which works great, better hide and has a nice thick consisitancy to keep from dripping and almost no spatter.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use Ben Moore Regal flat on ceilings most of the time, if not that the Sherwin super paint flat. My crew only uses BM Regal / Sherwin Super paint or better. we like the BM regal a lot. even for colored ceilings.
same here. Super Paint flat. One coat 99% of the time!

worst paint for ceilings? Bear premium ultra plus flat white. customer provided, took 4 coats and still could've used another. that's over original white, ridiculous!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I use 2 coats of UH 150 over new sheetrock ceilings, works great, eliminates issues with primer spots from only one coat of flat over primer.

·
Registered
4,253 Posts
chrisn said:
Soooooooooooooooooo 95 posts and the answer is:blink:

Maybe the reason its a popular thread is that there is no answer. We can go on and on listing cheap flat paints if "best" means dead flat and easy to apply.
Or talk about "elegant" ceiling paints like Muresco that are a little more challenging to apply (otherwise known as a pita)

I cheated on the matte bty, added a gallon of flat to a 5. Knocked it off just enough to make it flow out...creamy;)

·
Registered
935 Posts
I just got done today with painting out a large ceiling using BM Ultra Spec Flat.
Home owner had eggshell on it and wanted it repainted. There was a window at the end of the room which was in a basement den. Everything was going well until I saw that I had a couple small areas where the eggshell shined through. I got out the weanie roller and tried to feather it in. It flashed on me. Really bummed out on that since it was in the worst spot where the light from the window highlighted it.
I won't be using this product for ceilings anymore. I just hope the HO doesn't see it. Of course they probably will.:(
Did you try to get 1 coat of flat to cover an eggshell ?

·
dewey.s
4 Posts
Yes, I did get the flat to cover the eggshell. except for my little holidays.

I have an 800 sq ft ceiling coming up soon. New drywall after an abatement. I will go with Pro-Mar 400 flat. I can get that super cheap.

Off topic but, I just got a new price list form BM. Damn, it's getting expensive.

One last question: not sure if this came up in the thread. Ultra spec 500 flat? Does it have the same flashing problem as the normal Ultra spec?
The 500 line is the only product I can get from them that's 25.00 a gallon.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts